U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you for assisted suicide?
Yes 24 75.00%
No 8 25.00%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2007, 01:52 AM

28,227 posts, read 47,656,129 times

Advertisements

Right-to-die issues divide Americans

NEW YORK - More than two-thirds of Americans believe there are circumstances in which a patient should be allowed to die, but they are closely divided on whether it should be legal for a doctor to help terminally ill patients end their own lives by prescribing fatal drugs, a new AP-Ipsos poll finds.

The results were released Tuesday, just days before Dr. Jack Kevorkian is freed from a Michigan prison after serving more than eight years for second-degree murder in the poisoning of a man with Lou Gehrig's disease.

Right-to-die issues divide Americans - Yahoo! News (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2007, 02:15 AM

2,432 posts, read 6,109,038 times
I'm definitely for assisted suicide. Dying is just part of life. Why should someone who is ready to move on have to stay here suffering in a hospital? Our real lives are on the other side anyway. This is a temporary assignment.

Old 05-30-2007, 08:18 AM

8,668 posts, read 20,333,760 times
I don't think we have the right to take our own lives or the lives of others in these instances. It's a tough issue to be sure because I do understand the suffering of many of these people. I wish we had better pain control. I think we've gone over to a realm that belongs to God alone though when we actively promote or hasten death. I don't think on the other hand, that we have to unnaturally prolong life either but even in those cases, the decisions can get a little dicey and controversial too.

Old 05-30-2007, 08:23 AM

2,967 posts, read 1,766,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
I don't think we have the right to take our own lives or the lives of others in these instances. It's a tough issue to be sure because I do understand the suffering of many of these people. I wish we had better pain control. I think we've gone over to a realm that belongs to God alone though when we actively promote or hasten death. I don't think on the other hand, that we have to unnaturally prolong life either but even in those cases, the decisions can get a little dicey and controversial too.
I agree. There is a difference between "assisted suicide" and needlessly prolonging the life of someone who is near the end and has no hope of recovering or any quality of life.

Old 05-30-2007, 11:48 AM

2,949 posts, read 12,188,182 times
I have had different thoughts on this subject for a very long time - thoughts that are firm for both sides of this controversy.

I speak for myself only. If I am terminally ill, in pain, with no hope of recovery - then, yes, I would not want to continue living.

Old 05-30-2007, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhlcomp View Post
I have had different thoughts on this subject for a very long time - thoughts that are firm for both sides of this controversy.

I speak for myself only. If I am terminally ill, in pain, with no hope of recovery - then, yes, I would not want to continue living.
but that isn't the question. . . the question is would you want someone to assist you in commiting suicide?

I would not want to continue either but I would not kill myself. I would not want artificial means such as a ventilator etc. but suicide no.

Old 05-30-2007, 01:26 PM

959 posts, read 2,113,802 times
As a person who has seen many terminally ill and vegetative people and family members, I am absolutely an advocate of assisted suicide.

All "assisted" means is that, if you reach a certain stage and actually CAN'T do it yourself, you state your preferences in your living will/final wishes, and a physician or family member with physician aid will remove you from life support or ventilation.

Aging people in ill health often come to this stage; if they are kept on life support, they might be able to look forward to months, even years, of a very low quality of life, pain, etc.

It's not for everyone, but assisted suicide should be legal, and decided by the individual and family members. The government should not be involved in this at all...this is an individual medical decision, based on individual religious preferences, medical history, and many other factors.

Old 05-30-2007, 01:31 PM

Removing someone from artificial life support such as a ventilator is not what assisted suicide is.

Old 05-30-2007, 01:36 PM

2,432 posts, read 6,109,038 times
Many people have strong religious and moral objections to assisted suicide, and they should have that right respected. But on the other hand those that don't have those objections should have the right to pursue it as an option.

Old 05-30-2007, 01:57 PM

959 posts, read 2,113,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spunky1 View Post
Removing someone from artificial life support such as a ventilator is not what assisted suicide is.
It is certainly one method, wouldn't you say? The person on life support may be totally mentally cognizant, too, by the way...I'm not just talking vegetative state.

The other most "accepted" method for those NOT on support would be euthanasia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies