Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2010, 12:02 PM

4,790 posts, read 5,877,517 times

Advertisements

the vietnam war was supposed to halt the spread of communism.....
all hail communist china.....
all hail cheap wal mart crap
the soldiers are duped....and will go on being duped for some ISM...somewhere on the planet...each generation gets to see this for themselves...several times....
I protested the war, but was never nasty to the soldiers...some of them were my friends, and they came home messed up...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2010, 12:06 PM

78,866 posts, read 46,338,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
I ask this question cuz it appears ,today,the only ones who admitted they were protesting back in the 60's add--" but I supported the troops back then"

What happened to the vast majority of the Vietnam war protestors who sure as heck showed no support for the troops?

Have they died off?
Selective memory?

Or are they ashamed to admit their behavior ?

Nancy Pelosi, is pretty proud and outspoken to be someone that protested the war.

Old 02-14-2010, 12:15 PM

1,653 posts, read 1,165,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
C. They've grown up, and wised up, and now realize how asinine their behavior was. As a result, they're ashamed to admit that they were involved.

It's no small wonder that a disproportionately high number of VietNam Vets are mentally ill.
That had more to do with the heavy drug use during and after their tour of duty.

Old 02-14-2010, 12:17 PM

1,653 posts, read 1,165,131 times
Quote:
I ask this question cuz it appears ,today,the only ones who admitted they were protesting back in the 60's add--" but I supported the troops back then"

What happened to the vast majority of the Vietnam war protestors who sure as heck showed no support for the troops?

Have they died off?
Selective memory?

Well at least one of them became the darling of the Republican party and a US Senator.

Old 02-14-2010, 12:19 PM

78,866 posts, read 46,338,463 times
When we had the draft, you saw pride in the nation.

That has been lost.

Old 02-14-2010, 12:46 PM

9,879 posts, read 7,982,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
C. They've grown up, and wised up, and now realize how asinine their behavior was. As a result, they're ashamed to admit that they were involved.

It's no small wonder that a disproportionately high number of VietNam Vets are mentally ill.
Suicide rates among soldiers TODAY is at a 30 year high. Mental Illness among soldiers TODAY is at 18 Percent.
But that is not where the similarity between Iraq, Afghanistan and Vietnam ends. These are wars of choice by our Government.

When my father served in Vietnam we had the draft.
If we had the draft TODAY and 58,000 plus of our fellow citizens were being killed in a far away land - I would hope you would see protests in the masses

There is/was no shame in protesting war that violates Just War Principles. I would thank them today, as I did when I was a little girl.

Please donate to:
Vietnam Veterans of America

Old 02-14-2010, 12:52 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,778,666 times
Quote:

Have they died off?
Selective memory?

They are in Obama's cabinet or have Czarships or are ambassadors. They are in Congress with (D) after their names. They are members of progressive "community organizations". They are in Hollywood and surface from time to time recalling their Vietnam protests as a way to line their wallets for an upcoming movie or book release.

Progressives know no shame. Shame requires a conscience.

Old 02-14-2010, 12:55 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,598,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
They are in Obama's cabinet or have Czarships or are ambassadors. They are in Congress with (D) after their names. They are members of progressive "community organizations". They are in Hollywood and surface from time to time recalling their Vietnam protests as a way to line their wallets for an upcoming movie or book release.

Progressives know no shame. Shame requires a conscience.
You mean like Cheney with five deferments or Bush who had his Dad write a letter to get him out?

Old 02-14-2010, 12:58 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,187,698 times
Default I'm against every war

I have no clue where you get you information, but it's bogus, OP.
You don't really want to go trolling, do you?

I protested the war, as did numerous veterans.
Ever hear about Vietnam Veterans Against the War?

Maybe it's who you're talking to or your selective memory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
I was one, but like as said, in protest of the Fedral Govt, not my 54,000 brothers.

I am no more than a long hair country hick at 58 years now, but in these years, if there is one thing I came to know about man, it is the first man came out of the trees, and hit another man. The 2nd man struck back with a rock.

Ever since, man has only improved the stick and the rock.

Things are not any better. My generation sold out their pricipals, cut their hair, and became neo-cons. Many of them have raised the most helpless greed and gain children, the planet has even known.

That doesn't really matter, since we are as a whole world still in the act of improving the stick and the stone. It is the nature of man.
Please speak for yourself.
You do not speak for me.

Old 02-14-2010, 01:01 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,257,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimw144 View Post
Well at least one of them became the darling of the Republican party and a US Senator.
Did you have to bring a creep into this discussion?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies