Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should a license be required in order to own a gun?
Yes 41 37.61%
No 65 59.63%
Not sure 3 2.75%
Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2010, 02:50 AM

241 posts, read 251,927 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
if some young punk comes up to you trying to rob you, shoot his ass.
Interesting choice of examples
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2010, 04:46 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,934,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
I know the laws vary from one place to another, but if there's a right to own a gun, why haven't gun license laws been challenged? If they have been challenged, why have the courts upheld them?
Beacuse owning a gun and walking around with one on your hip are two different things. ONly thing I would like to see is a federal permit that allows someone with the licence to carry in all the states.
Casper

Old 02-14-2010, 04:49 AM

26,680 posts, read 28,665,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Beacuse owning a gun and walking around with one on your hip are two different things. ONly thing I would like to see is a federal permit that allows someone with the licence to carry in all the states.
Casper
So does that mean you don't think that gun ownership is a right? If it is a right, then why would a license or even a permit be necessary?

Old 02-14-2010, 05:34 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,217,585 times
Quote:
So does that mean you don't think that gun ownership is a right? If it is a right, then why would a license or even a permit be necessary?
I will speak for my state. Where I live the permit isn't to simply carry. It is to conceal that you are carrying. There is a difference.

Old 02-14-2010, 05:44 AM

12,481 posts, read 10,220,937 times
Quote:
I know the laws vary from one place to another, but if there's a right to own a gun, why haven't gun license laws been challenged? If they have been challenged, why have the courts upheld them?
it seems you are confusing two different things, speaking for the state of Texas. You do not have to have a license to own a gun. You must have a license to carry a concealed gun. So people who want a gun, i own two a shot gun and a glock, do not have to have license to own. If i was to carry the glock concealed i would need a license to do so .
I do not think that we should need a license to carry. For sure the criminals in the street do not have license to carry. So those who do get a license are the people wishing to carry for self defense. Criminals do not care about gun laws

Old 02-14-2010, 06:39 AM

757 posts, read 802,837 times
How does requiring a license prevent you from owning a gun? Unless you're a felon.

Quote:

Old 02-14-2010, 06:40 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,448,604 times
Quote:
In 1994 72.7% of the Alaskan voting population amended Article I, Section 19 of the Alaskan State Constitution with the following:

Quote:
The individual right to keep and bear arms shall not be denied or infringed by the State or a political subdivision of the State.
As a result, there are no licenses or permits required to own or carry a firearm anywhere in Alaska, even if it is concealable. All local gun-control laws were instantly abolished. Alaska still issues Concealed Carry Permits, but only for reciprocity purposes with other States.

Old 02-14-2010, 07:26 AM

536 posts, read 413,874 times
Nope should not need a license. I don't need a license to own one in my state. I have to get a background check which seems very intrusive to me.

Old 02-14-2010, 07:27 AM

536 posts, read 413,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
In 1994 72.7% of the Alaskan voting population amended Article I, Section 19 of the Alaskan State Constitution with the following:

As a result, there are no licenses or permits required to own or carry a firearm anywhere in Alaska, even if it is concealable. All local gun-control laws were instantly abolished. Alaska still issues Concealed Carry Permits, but only for reciprocity purposes with other States.
Would love to live there. Must be nice to live in the most freedom loving state in the union.

Old 02-14-2010, 07:30 AM

2,574 posts, read 2,487,476 times
I am so sorry to see a fanatical approach to guns ...75% vote for NO license,I voted YES...

We must understand,America is a sea of unarmed people...
We r a vocal minority,in 10 states we practically cannot carry,in 2 states no carry at all,in the big 3 cities,NYC,CH.LA there is carry prohibition...

Half the area of any city,campuses,hospitals,schools,courts,private facilities etc are "no-gun".

We should not take extreme positions...

We need to court the non -gun people & prevent them from going anti-gun...

We need diplomacy.

We must accept any license,any procedure,strict & stricter,anything,provided we secure our right to carry...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies