Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2010, 12:15 PM

621 posts, read 1,053,925 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
I wouldn't paint all conservatives with the "don't recycle" brush, but I have known a couple conservative Republicans who refused to recycle because it was "for pansy, tree-hugging, hippie Democrats". They would proudly throw recyclables in the regular trash.
I've met Democrats that didn't recycle. I've met tree hugging liberals that spoke the speak, walked the walk, and went home did exactly opposite what they spoke to support.

Party affiliation is not an indicator of environmental consciousness.

Republicans for Environmental Protection (REP America)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2010, 12:29 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,425,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
The people who built this country didn't worry about it--it didn't affect them, so they had a "devil may care" attitude about the whole thing.
The people who built this country used all natural products which biodegraded or were metals which were reused. Things weren't disposable the way they are now.

Old 02-15-2010, 04:02 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,649,845 times
^Um, when did they STOP builiding? The very products you now recycle, as well as hazardous materials that cannot be recycled--only contained--have been in use for decades.

Old 02-15-2010, 04:07 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,164,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
I'd have no issue with recycling if there were somewhere within walking distance from my home to dispose of my cans and bottles. I'm not about to take two buses just to recycle my stuff.
I thought California required curb side recycling now (is that what La la land means? If not, sorry).

When we lived in California were required to separate our green waste, recycling, and garbage. We had 3 big cans. Here in Colorado we pay a few extra dollars/month for curb-side recycling, and always have more in that can than the garbage can.

Old 02-15-2010, 04:09 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,164,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
I personally do not recycle. The effects of me not doing so aren't going to make an impact until long after I am dead. After I'm dead, why should I care what happens?
what a WONDERFUL attitude you have!

Old 02-15-2010, 05:00 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,649,845 times
Thanks! It is, after all, all about me. I don't worry about what you do, unless it affects me personally. Live and let live.

Old 02-15-2010, 05:19 PM

26,724 posts, read 26,798,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
I thought California required curb side recycling now. When we lived in California were required to separate our green waste, recycling, and garbage. We had 3 big cans.
No more. Apparently not enough people were recycling curbside. Now we are assessed a fee so "professionals" can dig through our waste and recycle it.

Old 02-15-2010, 08:35 PM

6,797 posts, read 9,347,476 times
I don't recycle. It's not offered at my apartment complex even though residential homes in the city have curbside recycling. I did take my recyclables to a bin at my local grocery store for awhile but the bin was removed and I haven't bothered to find another.

Old 02-15-2010, 09:32 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,016,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
People who don't recycle , are the same people that do not believe mankind can affect the environment, the same ones that shot several species into extenction and believe the planet is theirs to use and abuse as they see fit and to H*ll with leaving our children with a clean place to live.
Casper
If this is based upon your personal experience, then you should qualify the statement. Some folks, such as myself, do not have access to recycling facilities and I am not about to take two buses to the nearest facility to dump off two bags at a time. It is a shame that my apartment complex does not provide containers to dispose of recycles though but aside from requesting it, nothing else I can do in the mean time.

Old 02-15-2010, 09:33 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,016,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
You mean there are parts of the US that DON'T have curbside recycling??? I've had curbside recycling for the past 14 years, both here in Denver and in Orange County, CA. Maybe they don't have it where people are still allowed to smoke in restaurants lol!
I live in LA County but our trash is picked up by a private contractor and our complex does not have any containers for the disposal of recycles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies