Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2010, 08:43 PM

1,842 posts, read 1,707,968 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Thank you for posting that clip.

Josephine Harris, who is featured in here and survived the collapse in that little piece of stairway with the firefighters, came back to work for a few years until she had her retirement time in. Tough lady.
That's cool about driving the bus! When I worked in midtown years ago, I took the bus in every day, and I always wondered what it was like to drive one. Never wanted fly a plane. I was always a nervous flyer, even though I would do it to get where I wanted to go, but I was always sure that the plane I was on was bound to crash, lol. I have not been afraid to fly since September 11, because I lost all fear of death after that day. I enjoy flying now.
It wasn't the one you were on it was the one you didn't see coming. I almost died once (as in I should've died but didn't) death is a friend I'm not ready to meet. Death is a part of life. Go flying in a small airplane it is a real blast.

Driving buses was the best job I ever had. The Campos shuttles is what I loved the most. I had MS in MEs talking about their homework with me. (I did help some) I liked all the PhDs to talk to. (I've got Asperger's.) I love to meet people and talk with them I really miss driving. I miss working.

So you knew her? I watched the hole thing all the parts today. It has taken me 8 years to be able to talk about this and to feel good (that is a relative term) doing it. But I am really mad at the idiots that did it. That will pass I hope. I don't need to carry the anger with me. I will let it go.

I looked at the first building to collapse The top moved one way that means that it was pushing on the other side. That loaded the other sides floors in tension. That would supply most of the energy necessary for them to fail. Then when the floor above hit it it failed, parallel collapse. On the side that the top failed too, leaned too, you can see the top part of the building push on the bottom as it falls and the failure there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2010, 09:12 PM

88,560 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newonecoming View Post
It wasn't the one you were on it was the one you didn't see coming. I almost died once (as in I should've died but didn't) death is a friend I'm not ready to meet. Death is a part of life. Go flying in a small airplane it is a real blast.

Driving buses was the best job I ever had. The Campos shuttles is what I loved the most. I had MS in MEs talking about their homework with me. (I did help some) I liked all the PhDs to talk to. (I've got Asperger's.) I love to meet people and talk with them I really miss driving. I miss working.

So you knew her? I watched the hole thing all the parts today. It has taken me 8 years to be able to talk about this and to feel good (that is a relative term) doing it. But I am really mad at the idiots that did it. That will pass I hope. I don't need to carry the anger with me. I will let it go.

I looked at the first building to collapse The top moved one way that means that it was pushing on the other side. That loaded the other sides floors in tension. That would supply most of the energy necessary for them to fail. Then when the floor above hit it it failed, parallel collapse. On the side that the top failed too, leaned too, you can see the top part of the building push on the bottom as it falls and the failure there.
I was never angry for some reason. I just feel that we don't understand them and they don't understand us.

I like to talk to people too. I was very shy when I was young and not good in social situations. Then one day I saw Johnny Carson being interviewed and he said that everyone thought he was such a great host, but all he did was ask people questions about themselves and they would start talking. So I tried doing that, and he was right. Besides helping me get over my awkwardness, I found out a lot of things about people and about all sorts of subjects that I never knew. Don't know if that works for people with Asperger's, but it worked for me.

Old 02-28-2010, 09:15 PM

3,440 posts, read 8,039,154 times
Quote:
I'm not arguing either, just providing information.

It's not going to be easy, either, making a legal case against the EPA with the details. For example, take asbestos, one of the many toxic substances in the air in lower Manhattan during the nine months of the cleanup.

Just what is the acceptable level of asbestos in the air? Well, there isn't any answer, one way or the other. Acceptable/Unacceptable levels of asbestos only apply to containment areas or other indoor spaces during ACM removal. It's not supposed to be flying around outside in the first place, and no standards were ever set for asbestos levels in the air outdoors because such a situation was just not anticipated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYChistorygal View Post
My office was closed for the rest of the week. I was trapped in Manhattan, at my friend's apt (a South Tower survivor) until Friday when I was able to get back home. So, did you expect everything to close for months until the fires were put out? The country would have been destroyed long before then.

Tents? Seriously? For 8 million people? How would you get enough of them? Where the hell would you PUT them?

Unrealistic.

Yes Ladies, I hear you.

But remember, there were other forms of particles in the air that were highly toxic. Particles tainted with jet fuel, the particles from the computers and other particulates that I'm not familiar with because I don't study it.

My point is, people should have been told of the dangers RIGHT AWAY so even if 8 million people were not able to get clean air, they could have at least been aware of the dangers, and because of that, could have taken better steps to protect their families and themselves.

It's the LEAST Corp US could have done, and if they had done it, they would not be going through a lawsuit.

Old 02-28-2010, 09:16 PM

Quote:
I was never angry for some reason. I just feel that we don't understand them and they don't understand us.
Who Arabs?

Old 02-28-2010, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Yeah, besides, can you imagine telling all those people that they have to leave Manhattan and go to Jersey or upstate? They'd flip you the bird and wouldn't budge anyway.
Ummm, if I was told walk the freeway for miles to get out the state, or stay in a inhabitable area, I would gladly leave!

See, the problem today is that people live in so much comfort, and entertainment, that they forget that we live in a environment where anything can go wrong at anytime.

Basically, it's Sodom and Gomorrah all over again as for as how you describe NYrs, in that, if people don't want to leave in a emergency, then I guess somebody will be digging them up 3000 years from now wondering what happened.

Old 02-28-2010, 09:28 PM

4,500 posts, read 12,342,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roosevelt View Post
New conspiracy theory, the trade center buildings were blown up to drive rats with bubonic plague into Jersey.
If Jersey Shore is anything to go by, it's not that bad of an idea either. Badum-tish!

Old 02-28-2010, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Check your geography. New Jersey is much closer to New York City than is most the rest of the state of New York and was affected far more by the air. Heck, southern Connecticut is closer to NYC than most of New York State. Not that it's such a vital point--I just know that most people not from the region don't know the layout. Technically, the Statue of Liberty is in Jersey, but don't say that to a New Yorker.

After the buildings went down, we were based directly across the river in Jersey City. The Hudson's approximately a mile wide at that point. When the wind came in from the east, not only could we smell it, but ash would drift down.
Yea, that smoke was bad, my grandpa, when he was alive, lived in englewood nj during the time, and I called him from California (I was fresh in collage at the time) and he told me he had to stay indoors because of ash and general poor conditions of the air.

Quote:
Here's a little known fact about 9/11 that you'll never find a link to: On the night of September 11, the area in Jersey City around the Exchange Place PATH train station had to be closed off while they captured and killed all the rats that had fled from the lower levels of the WTC through the PATH tunnel from the fire. Exchange Place is the first stop on the Jersey side from the WTC station, and they were coming up into the streets in droves.
I'm sure it has something to do with the molten steel that the firemen and rescue workers described under the rubble of where the WTC towers stood.

Old 02-28-2010, 09:40 PM

1,842 posts, read 1,707,968 times
Quote:

I like to talk to people too. I was very shy when I was young and not good in social situations. Then one day I saw Johnny Carson being interviewed and he said that everyone thought he was such a great host, but all he did was ask people questions about themselves and they would start talking. So I tried doing that, and he was right. Besides helping me get over my awkwardness, I found out a lot of things about people and about all sorts of subjects that I never knew. Don't know if that works for people with Asperger's, but it worked for me.
I'm glad you aren't angry. I see the stupidity and I want to fix it. And I'm mad that I can't.

I've always had the gift of gab. Talking isn't the problem. I just miss the shuttle.

Good night.

Old 02-28-2010, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by actonbell View Post
I really thought the first broadcast of it was a bad joke; that some one would get into trouble for doing by the FCC. As it turned out, it was no joke.
I said the same thing myself.

Old 03-01-2010, 12:21 AM

1,786 posts, read 3,461,176 times
I was pretty pissed of at Christie and the EPA telling us the air was "fine, just fine" in the days afterwards. I DO understand part of the reasoning though, and those of you who were in NY, or Washington or any part of this big, lovely country will understand too. They wanted everyone back to work to get the cogs moving in Industry so to be able to say: "You freaking think you broke us? Think again, we're dusing ourselves off, putting on our little masks, and we will get back to work as normal."

Except it wasn't normal. Think of all those people displaced from Battery Park City - where were they going to go? Even areas north of the WTC had that asbestos laden debris flowing on up to them. Subway trains were running sporadically. From Canal Street, you had no hope in hell of getting downtown. Walking, you were blocked by cops. Try to take a subway, and your line might be gone since there were conducting structural engineering issues at those stations.

And MQ, just to go back the collapse of the first tower (what company did you work for?), I was standing at the Center Gate for City Hall on Broadway where I was trying to find out if we were allowed to cross the Brooklyn Bridge. As we were talking, it was like a loud odd crackling size. Me and the cop turned to look South and were astounded to see about 500 running toward us at full on speed. I gave the old "What are people running for Stay calm. You have no idea what's going on." At that point, a man grabbed me and started running with me. His response was that the tower was coming down. I had no choice of the Brooklyn Bridge so I kept running (after smoking 20 butts), in 4 inch heels - like freaking Flo Jo - up to the Manhattan Bridge. There I acquired two terrified ladies and an idiot behind saying that the bridges were next. I talked to him quitely and that he should go on his own. Therefore, I brought the 2 ladies over the bridge calmly. Mid span, hower, the collapse of the 2nd tower. I was frozen to the spot and FURIOUS at what had been. Very sad. And by the way, Broklyn was LITTERED with documents, burnt pages, constructon stuff and more endless dust.

And to the people supporting this crazy idea of government involvement, I know you have to do something in yoour spare time away from Area 61 (!!). I have a REAL valid quesion about the WTC site: What in the name of God is taking it so long to go back up?!!. And why were the people's choice of what we wanted to see put up (the same buildings a few floor hires. Who would work there? Well in order to make countries like Iraq, Iran, Afganistan, UAE, and a few choice others finally have us beleive that they or the groups they support mean us no harm, we will give them the top two floors in each tower rent-free as their consulates. Works out nicely all around. Who is holding up the building of this incipid Freedom Tower they want to put up? WTC7 (the 3rd building that collapsed that day is already up and occupied. You guys seem to have an uncanny ability to find thought provoking reserach material on some of your theories. Why not turn your intelligence to this one?

Sorry if I rambled! It's bedtime!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies