Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 01:34 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,146,706 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I'm torn. While I like the idea of each country being represented by their own I also like to see the best of the best in each catagory, and sometimes their are too many "bests" in one country to actually make the team.
I hadn't thought of it that way, but I still think it seems wrong. The whole idea is to represent your own country. In the case of the figure skater, she changed her citizenship to fulfill her dream. That seems a little selfish and traitorous to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2010, 01:50 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,432,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
I hadn't thought of it that way, but I still think it seems wrong. The whole idea is to represent your own country. In the case of the figure skater, she changed her citizenship to fulfill her dream. That seems a little selfish and traitorous to me.

I feel to a point as you do, the whole purpose to represent your own Country. And as far as i see, most who are in the olympics, are they not there to each fulfill their own dreams.

Old 02-16-2010, 01:51 PM

4,604 posts, read 8,226,990 times
I wonder, if Alec Baldwin were an athlete would he have changed his citizenship to compete in an Olympics during the Bush years? I suspect not as he never fulfilled his promise to leave the U.S., unfortunately.

Old 02-16-2010, 01:55 PM

1,773 posts, read 1,265,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysB View Post
I wonder, if Alec Baldwin were an athlete would he have changed his citizenship to compete in an Olympics during the Bush years? I suspect not as he never fulfilled his promise to leave the U.S., unfortunately.
What?? Jeez, could you stretch anymore just to post in a thread?

Old 02-16-2010, 02:20 PM

1,595 posts, read 2,985,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archan View Post
I can understand if they have dual citizenship, but it shouldn't be allowed just if your parents were born there.
But in many countries you are a citizen if one, or both, of your parents were citizens. Every country has its own rules on citizenship requirements.

Old 02-16-2010, 02:29 PM

1,595 posts, read 2,985,331 times
Quote:
I have to disagree. It is not traitorous. The idea is to be the best in your sport and to promote that sport. Representing your country is secondary.

If I were an athlete and the country I lived in didn't have adequate facilities, equipment, or personnel such as trainers, coaches, etc. for my skill level and another nation said "Hey, if you compete for us we will furnish you with whatever training facilities and personnel you need" I would have no problem jumping ship. An athlete has only a few years at having any kind of shot at olympic glory. Why should they in effect be penalized for being born in a country that can't/won't meet their abilities?

Old 02-16-2010, 02:37 PM

18,351 posts, read 26,473,745 times
THe olympics were intended to bring people of different countries together, not to exhibit nationalism. I have no problem with it, though I have no interest in it either.

Old 02-16-2010, 07:13 PM

3,440 posts, read 8,036,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsldcd View Post
Kind of makes your skin crawl doesn't it. I think they should have to be a citizen in order to compete for a country. Isn't the whole Oylmpics about representing your country in games with other countries?
I see your point, but you are talking about if this world was perfect.

Anyhow, athletes do it because:

1.) Sometimes it's the only way you can qualify to make an Olympic team! For example, here in America, to make an Olympic team in the 100 meter dash you need to be able to run a 10.00 or faster, where as, if you ran for some unknown country all you need to be able to run is a 10.2.

2.) Many foreign athletes TRAIN on US soil so they might as well get US citizenship anyway. Or on the other hand, they train here and compete for their country because their own country does not have the proper facilities.

Yes, the point of the Olympics is representing your country but I will let you know the big secret is that representing your country is the LEAST issue that Athletes think about!! lol, do you really think athletes put all this hard work into representing their good ole county?! Ha most countries don't even care about their developing/top athletes which is why they are in poverty until they secure a shoe contract.

Anyhow, the real reasons why they train and compete is to show everybody else they are the best and to also get famous and rich at the same time.

In regards to the Olympics, is all mixed up anyway (well at least for sprints). Most people don't know that most of the 100m word record holders are acutaly Jamaican irrespective of their jersey. Ben Jonshon who competed for Canada was Jamacian, Linford Christie who competed for Great britian was Jamacian, Donovan bailey who competed for Canada was Jamaican... ect....

Old 02-16-2010, 07:18 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,665,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I think this rule applies only to figure skating pairs. Other than that, you need to be a citizen. It is not too hard though, because many countries, inclusing US grant citizenships to people with exceptional athletic ability.
See below: Also skiing, apparently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysB View Post
The female from the pairs skating moved from Japan to Russia to fulfill her dream of being coached by her current coach. She took Russian citizenship and changed the spelling of her name for the purpose.
The mogul skier had dual citizenship Canada/Oz. After having been hassled by the Canadian team for not 'focusing' on skiing, he moved to Australia where he satisfied the residency requirements to compete.
There is a Russian (formerly) cross country skier who moved to Canada where he took on citizenship and competes for Canada.
To imagine, twenty years ago a successful competitor wouldn't have been allowed out of the Soviet Union to compete for another country and those athlete citizens of Soviet satellite countries were forced to compete for the USSR. The case mentioned by summers73 may be an exception, or one of very few. Exceptions for which I admire those compettitors who chose to defy the Soviets.
I do have some problems with doing this, but I can see both sides.

Old 02-16-2010, 07:41 PM

3,440 posts, read 8,036,683 times
Quote:
That seems a little selfish and traitorous to me.
No it's not.

1.) Depending on the country and sport their country may not care about them anyway! I know because I'm a sportsman myself and I know guys and had roommates who ran from 10.2 to 9.9 (!) sec in the 100 meters and most of these guys live at poverty level working 1-2 jobs! If they could switch countries and make an official team squad they need to go for it. Oh well, it's the countries LOSS for not taking care of their athletes! The problem is the bureaucratic structure of the industry where the athletes who need the money never see it, and also, the powers that be siphon all the money to support inflated salaries and build facilities that don't see much use.

This is why the drug use is so high because to MAKE A LIVING you need to win! If your not winning you will be living with your parents because sponsors only pay out to winning athletes and the government does not support developing athletes no matter how much talent you have.

2.) If you have the basic talent it takes 10+ years of dedication, sacrifice and pain to even CONTEND at the Olympic level. With that said, if you gave so many years to the sport, and all you had to do was fill out some forms to switch countries which will secure a spot on an Olympic team which COULD then also secure a spot for billions of people to see that you won an Olympic medal centuries after you are gone I think you just might do it to!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies