U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-17-2010, 02:55 PM
 
28,605 posts, read 11,065,408 times
Reputation: 7492
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Did you hear Beck say those things? I doubt it since an every day watcher like me has never heard any of that Pelosi come out of his mouth.
Please don't do that. We all know you don't like Pelosi, many of us don't like her either. But if you mean to say baloney or bs or whatever, say it. It's not necessary to be snide when you are trying to make your point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-17-2010, 02:56 PM
 
8,640 posts, read 4,885,460 times
Reputation: 2840
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
It's a big problem for conservatives when conservative extremists begin to feel strongly supported in their extremism. Because that kind of validation leads to them acting out.

Liberal extremists are more likely to act out because of a lack of validation.

I think O'Reilly is concerned because the tea party movement is really rather disorganized. The original organizers were about protesting taxes. Then many other groups joined in to protest multiple issues. Then some Republican party people have tried to link to the tea party movement. And several militant groups and fringe groups have also joined in. Those militants and fringe groups are problematic. Because they have the will and means to commit violence, but have been reined in by societal restraints. Remove the restraints by validating their will to violence, and it can result in violence. So O'Reilly is trying to reinforce the societal restraints against violence.

There is really something wrong and coonfused in the mids of liberals. Recently a black commentator on CNN called out for hussein obama to go gangster. Gangsters are violent and killers but I bet the left has no peoblem with the fact their extremist are their mainstream, not just their fringe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-17-2010, 03:04 PM
 
35,000 posts, read 22,404,226 times
Reputation: 6093
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevcrawford View Post
So you DON'T believe that the tea party supporters are going into "homicidal rages" or are dangerous.

Your post talked about him having to warn his "lunatic" viewers from "homicidal rages"? Do you believe this crap or don't you?

Or can you not support your views when called on them?

What was the point of posting the link? Are we homicidal lunatics? Or are we not?

If so, please enlighten us about all the travesties that are occurring. If not, what was the point of the post?
um, kevcrawford?

I suggested twice you go find the video of Glenn Beck and once that you find newspaper articles covering the tension during those "water the tree of liberty" town hall days. I cant keep telling you, and I dont have time for your weird personal attacks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-17-2010, 03:10 PM
 
28,605 posts, read 11,065,408 times
Reputation: 7492
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsldcd View Post
There is really something wrong and coonfused in the mids of liberals. Recently a black commentator on CNN called out for hussein obama to go gangster. Gangsters are violent and killers but I bet the left has no peoblem with the fact their extremist are their mainstream, not just their fringe.
Maybe the black commentator meant "go gangsta" in a different way than you took it.

Extremists aren't mainstream, by their very definition. It's natural for conservatives to see mainstream liberals as extremist because mainstream liberals are outside conservative mainstreams, and vice versa. But I think in the commentary about conservative extremists, most people really are thinking of people who do not fall into the conservative mainstream, but are clearly to the right of that mainstream. And liberal extremists would be the people who do not fall into the liberal mainstream, but are clearly to the left of that mainstream. Oddly enough, everything is circular, so there is sometimes confusion about whether an extremist is a right-wing extremist or a left-wing extremist. But truly, extremists can be very dangerous, regardless of what fringe they belong to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-17-2010, 03:13 PM
 
Location: Southcentral Kansas
44,933 posts, read 12,455,240 times
Reputation: 4269
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Please don't do that. We all know you don't like Pelosi, many of us don't like her either. But if you mean to say baloney or bs or whatever, say it. It's not necessary to be snide when you are trying to make your point.
I decided about a year ago that I didn't care for bs so decided that Pelosi is the best way to say the same thing since her mouth seems to be full of it all the time. I won't soon stop that either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-17-2010, 03:22 PM
 
35,000 posts, read 22,404,226 times
Reputation: 6093
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
I decided about a year ago that I didn't care for bs so decided that Pelosi is the best way to say the same thing since her mouth seems to be full of it all the time. I won't soon stop that either.
does this mean you are now tolerant of other people's inflexibility regarding political figures they loathe?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-17-2010, 03:24 PM
 
28,605 posts, read 11,065,408 times
Reputation: 7492
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
I decided about a year ago that I didn't care for bs so decided that Pelosi is the best way to say the same thing since her mouth seems to be full of it all the time. I won't soon stop that either.
I'm not a fan of Speaker Pelosi, either. But I think when I use people's names as invectives, I am constantly reinforcing a sense of bitterness that actually makes me feel less empowered rather than more empowered. I hate to see that bitterness coming through in your posts, because you are clearly a man who puts a lot of energy and thought into his political positions and posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-17-2010, 03:37 PM
 
Location: Alameda, CA
4,344 posts, read 1,278,393 times
Reputation: 767
The Tea Party and Extremism - Bill O'Reilly | The O'Reilly Factor - FOXNews.com
Quote:
Enter The New York Times, which is finally taking the Tea Party seriously. In a front-page article Tuesday, they put forth that Tea Party people are primarily extremists. They lump in the John Birch Society, the Patriot movement, Friends for Liberty and other groups that are on the fringe.
The Times also attempts to link Fox News to Tea Party extremists.
Is the following part of the fringe O'Reilly was talking about.

Tea Party Lights Fuse for Rebellion on Right - NYTimes.com
Quote:
Most of the people there had paid only passing attention to national politics in years past. “I voted twice and I failed political science twice,” said Darin Stevens, leader of the Spokane 9/12 Project.
Until the recession, Mr. Stevens, 33, had poured his energies into his family and his business installing wireless networks. He had to lay off employees, and he struggled to pay credit cards, a home equity loan, even his taxes. “It hits you physically when you start getting the calls,” he said.
He discovered Glenn Beck, and began to think of Washington as a conspiracy to fleece the little guy. “I had no clue that my country was being taken from me,” Mr. Stevens explained. He could not understand why his progressive friends did not see what he saw.
He felt compelled to do something, so he decided to start a chapter of Mr. Beck’s 9/12 Project. He reserved a room at a pizza parlor for a Glenn Beck viewing party and posted the event on Craigslist. “We had 110 people there,” Mr. Stevens said. He recalled looking around the room and thinking, “All these people — they agree with me.”
I find O'Reilly's critique of the New York Times article strange. I think in many cases O'Reilly and the the Times were saying similar things. I guess in his mind when he says it, it is OK. When the Times says it, it is bad.

In both cases they pointed out that some who have joined the grass roots movement have some extremist views. The Times article did not solely focus on the extremist views.

Quote:
But if you threaten violence, if you traffic in racism, if you call the president of the United States a communist, those are extremist positions.
I wonder if he has raised this opinion with Beck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-17-2010, 03:43 PM
 
35,000 posts, read 22,404,226 times
Reputation: 6093
WilliamSmyth (or anyone), do you think he and Beck were instructed to come on and speak to their audiences to try to rein them in, or do you think they took it upon themselves?

Just an idle question. We cant know, but I imagine they were told to by the lawyers or program managers. "Get out there and say something exculpatory!"

Last edited by delusianne; 02-17-2010 at 03:52 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-17-2010, 04:05 PM
 
Location: Northeast Ohio
571 posts, read 522,347 times
Reputation: 427
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
I wonder why, even though I watch Beck every day, I have never heard any of the crap you offered up here. I think it is part of why you know only what you see on MessNBC or somewhere like that. I guess I am going to have to start watching Beck a bit closer since I have never heard any of the crap you posted here. You don't ever watch Beck though do you? How can you report all that Pelosi to us when you don't watch him?
Beck to "scar[ed]" caller on disability asking if Obama's heading toward eugenics: "He'd claim no, but ... yes" | Media Matters for America -Beck implying Obama is researching eugenics

Beck guest's advice to prep for "anarchy" of coming U.S. "debt implosion": "Grow your own food"; "take up arms" | Media Matters for America -Beck warning guests to prepare for "anarchy" and urging them to "take up arms... grow your own food"

Beck on stimulus anniversary: "Happy birthday what's left of America" | Media Matters for America - "Happy Birthday, what's left of America!" as if we are now living in a pre-apocalyptic nation.

Beck: Progressivism is "the exact same kind of thinking that led to" Holocaust, eugenics | Media Matters for America - "Progressivism led to the Holocaust, Nazis, Hitler, et. al"

http://mediamatters.org/mmtv/201002040055 - The unnamed "Progressives" are capturing up children. Yes that's right: THEY are taking YOUR CHILDREN!

http://mediamatters.org/mmtv/201002040026 -Children had better not question their parents, because then they are just like the Hitler Youth.

http://mediamatters.org/mmtv/201001280024 -"DO YOU HEAR WHAT THIS MAN [Obama] DID?... This could quickly turn into a dictatorial kind of state... you are seeing the begining of it"



There are many more. Go ahead now, whine about how they're all "out of context" or "THATS NOT HIM" because guess what? It is! It's him, he did in fact say ALL of those things and that website is documented proof. That is in fact Glenn Beck's voice speaking those words, and 3-5 million in this country listen to him.

PS I don't like Nancy Pelosi very much either. But I'd take her and Obama over a crowd of gun-toting rednecks who don't think things through any day of the week. And as for MSNBC, Rachel & Keith, while both annoying at times, base their entire shows around soundbites of insane right-wing rambling and then proceed to mock what they are saying. They don't put forth any nutty conspiracy theories, they don't say that Republicans are trying to turn children into conservatives, and they most certainly don't imply that the President is a dictator.

Last edited by UntamedOhioan; 02-17-2010 at 04:20 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:26 PM.

© 2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top