Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 04:18 PM

7,605 posts, read 4,844,821 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
WilliamSmyth (or anyone), do you think he and Beck were instructed to come on and speak to their audiences to try to rein them in, or do you think they took it upon themselves?

Just an idle question. We cant know, but I imagine they were told to by the lawyers or program managers. "Get out there and say something exculpatory!"
I'm don't know the context of Beck's statement, so I can't speak to his motivation.

Since the New York Times published the article, I've heard multiple right wing commentators talk about it and frankly characterize in ways that didn't ring true for me. IMO, O'Reilly loves to attack other media sources. I think he just took an opportunity to pile on, particularly since Fox news and Fox commentators were mentioned in the article.

I also think he views himself as a representative of the common folks. Therefore he would love nothing better then to be a commentator carrying the Tea Party message, which in his mind is a movement of the common folk. But I think some in the movement do concern him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2010, 04:44 PM

7,085 posts, read 12,054,512 times
It just reminds me of the Simpson where the Duff beers are yelling "Drink Duff!".

Then really quiet, with their hands over their mouth, "Responsibly".

Old 02-17-2010, 08:37 PM

3,436 posts, read 2,948,991 times
If you see signs like this and turn a blind eye or think this not extreme, you are also an extremist.

YouTube - TEA PARTY RACISM: What The Media Won't Show You About Teabagger Racism

People like this are dangerous. We are regressing as a country. It was fear and hate that fueled the nazis and the lynch mobs in the south. They thought they were doing a good deed as well and I'm sure it started off with talk. It's hard to believe these images are less than forty years old. This is a disgrace and embarassment to our country.

Old 02-18-2010, 07:56 PM

571 posts, read 943,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Factsplease View Post
If you see signs like this and turn a blind eye or think this not extreme, you are also an extremist.

YouTube - TEA PARTY RACISM: What The Media Won't Show You About Teabagger Racism

People like this are dangerous. We are regressing as a country. It was fear and hate that fueled the nazis and the lynch mobs in the south. They thought they were doing a good deed as well and I'm sure it started off with talk. It's hard to believe these images are less than forty years old. This is a disgrace and embarassment to our country.
No, we're not "regressing". Blame the media for devoting so much attention to the tea party extremists and Beck. I'd honestly say that something like 6 out of 10 people I know would look at me strangely if I brought up the phrase "tea party" and think of a literal gathering to drink tea in cute little cups.

The problem is that people care less and less everyday about politics because Washington is in such a mess. Democrats had their "tea party": it was called Organizing for America, and now millions feel betrayed by Obama and a lackluster Congress. Hint: most of those people won't be coming back to the ballot box anytime soon. They hauled their butts over to vote for a man who promised change in Washington. Millions of these people never even cared about politics in the first place, but knew that something had to change.

There is no change. Those people who thought they couldn't make a difference were proven right and will never vote again.

Do you honestly think that a Republican could have won Ted Kennedy's seat if voter turnout in MA was close to 100%? Of course not.
The tea party people are zealous and INCREDIBLY vocal. They didn't vote for Obama, and the ones who say they did are lying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies