U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 02:54 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,475 posts, read 13,831,232 times

Advertisements

Interesting how things play out, isn't it.

DEMOCRATIC BELIEFS and VALUES
A. Rights of the Individual
Right to life
Right to liberty
Right to dignity
Right to security
Right to equality of opportunity
Right to justice
Right to privacy
Right to private ownership of property
B. Freedoms of the Individual
Freedom to participate in the political process
Freedom of worship
Freedom of thought
Freedom of conscience
Freedom of assembly
Freedom of inquiry
Freedom of expression
C. Responsibilities of the Individual
To respect human life
To respect the rights of others
To be tolerant
To be honest
To be compassionate
To demonstrate self-control
To participate in the democratic process
To respect the property of others
D. Beliefs Concerning Societal Conditions and Governmental Responsibilities
Societies need laws that are accepted by the majority of the people.
Dissenting minorities are protected.
Government is elected by the people.
Government respects and protects individual rights.
Government respects and protects individual freedoms.
Government guarantees civil liberties.
Government works for the common good.

Democratic Beliefs and Values

Republican beliefs

The Patriot Act is used to track terrorist activity. (Sep 2004)
Homosexuality is incompatible with military service. (Sep 2004)
Support the advancement of women in the military. (Sep 2004)
States should not recognize gay marriage from other states. (Sep 2004)
Affirmative Access, without preferences or set-asides. (Sep 2004)
Constitutional Amendment banning same-sex marriage. (Sep 2004)
Strong support for traditional definition of marriage. (Aug 2000)
Let Boy Scouts exercise free speech (ok to ban gays). (Aug 2000)
Women exempt from combat; “candid analysis” of military gays. (Aug 2000)
Support the death penalty. (Sep 2004)
Best way to deter crime is to enforce existing laws. (Sep 2004)
More victims rights and harsher penalties for certain crimes. (Aug 2000)
Death penalty is an effective deterrent. (Aug 2000)
Nations that support terrorism are just as guilty. (Sep 2004)
A global coalition has broken al Qaeda cells. (Sep 2004)
The Pakistan government working with US to fight terror. (Sep 2004)
Saudi Arabia has joined the War on Terror. (Sep 2004)
Iraq is now becoming an example of reform. (Sep 2004)
Libya’s munitions have been destroyed. (Sep 2004)
Iraqi government has gained broad international support. (Sep 2004)
Pursue a comprehensive strategy against WMD proliferation. (Sep 2004)
Provide new strategies to help poor nations. (Sep 2004)
Applaud the success in mobilizing international cooperation. (Sep 2004)
The Broader Middle East Initiative spreads democracy. (Sep 2004)
Objectives of assistance and the strategies must change. (Sep 2004)
Look to Latin American countries as key partners. (Aug 2000)
Strengthen ties to Asia and promote democracy there. (Aug 2000)
NATO has shared responsibility for peacekeeping. (Aug 2000)
Help Africa with private sector and charitable investment. (Aug 2000)
Reform U.N. to end abuse, unfairness, and abortion funding. (Aug 2000)
Will not allow China to attack Taiwan. (Aug 2000)

Etc.
Republican Party on the Issues

I realize this post is long, but I find it fascinating on this board when people fling the words "Republican" and "Democrat" like it's some sort of blanket statement of somene's politcal ideology. Take a look at those lists (the Republican page is HUGE, so I didn't list it all) and tell me that you self identify with every stance made by your "party". If not, can you be a "true" Democrat or Republican? Or are you like me. I "self identify" as a Democrat. But depending on where the particular candidate stands on the issues, I tend to vote my heart and mind. My mom voted for Bush (He's anti abortion) while I didn't (I thought he was a destructive moron with a chip on his shoulder.) I'm against the death penalty, but I have two reasons why. One, the guy might not be guilty. Two, life in prison is Hell. Why do you think Timmy McVeigh waived hs rights to appeals? Because he was so looking forward to death? Perhaps. Or perhaps he just wanted one final shot at controlling....something, even if it was his own demise.

Freedom! That's why I like this forum. For one thing, I've never seen such excellent trolling. The ones with Gay, Black or a strategically mispelled word typically get the most responses. But, I've learned a good bit, here, as well. Obama has made mistakes, and sometimes they need to be blatantly pointed out. If you never call a man on his mistakes, well, you get George Bush - HA.. GOT YOU! - nah, just kidding. If you don't though, and he feels he can do no wrong, then that's bad.

I love the freedoms we have simply by being American. You don't have to vote a certain way because you think you'll get get shot if you don't - You can pick and choose. (Sometimes between two crummy candidates, but hey, this **** is better than North Korea, ain't it?) Freedom to choose. Oh, it's good stuff, man. Even if your party chooses to hate gays. It's similiar to choosing to hate girls that act like boys. Or hating left handed people. Freedom to hate and be vocal about it, then maybe?

Think China has a Rush? Or a Beck? An Olbermann? Hardly. China has uprisings every year, and they are becoming more frequent. Ever see a lot of that on American news? You do see it in other countries that aren't so dependent on China as a crack (debt purchaser) dealer .

Google link -
china uprisings riots - Google Search=

Anyway, the reason they don't have those national talking heads is because they tend to execute those that dissent. And they buy our debt, so they're cool. North Korea executes those that dissent (or puts them in a work camp 'til they die.). Do they buy our debt? Well, no.

AXIS OF EVIL FOR THE WIN.

Old 02-17-2010, 08:50 PM

2,126 posts, read 2,112,500 times
Good post. It was long but I for one found it a good and agreeable read. Hope you're doing well in Iraq.

Old 02-17-2010, 09:19 PM

69,372 posts, read 55,478,021 times
There are so many flaws with the OP.. I wouldnt know where to begin...

Old 02-17-2010, 09:23 PM

24,839 posts, read 30,075,301 times
I only skimmed the OP. Sorry. I have a short attention span I believe in freedom to live like you want as long as it doesn't hurt anyone else. I don't understand when the right accuses the left of wanting to take their freedoms away. I just don't see it.

Old 02-17-2010, 10:00 PM

15,065 posts, read 19,692,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
Think China has a Rush? Or a Beck? An Olbermann? Hardly. China has uprisings every year, and they are becoming more frequent. Ever see a lot of that on American news? You do see it in other countries that aren't so dependent on China as a crack (debt purchaser) dealer
Funny that you mention that,
because everyday, I'm more and more convinced that Republicans want the US to be like China.

- Strongly pro-big business (that's why all our manufacturing has gone to China)
Global Times - China attracts $853 bln FDI in three decades (http://business.globaltimes.cn/data/2009-10/474612.html - broken link)

- Ridiculously low minimum wage ($75/month)
Minimum Wage System Set Up

- Absolutely no regulation on pollution
China blames pollution for surge in birth defects - Los Angeles Times

Old 02-17-2010, 11:26 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,475 posts, read 13,831,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
There are so many flaws with the OP.. I wouldnt know where to begin...
Aye. It takes time to read more than one line and to comprehend.

Many of the posts in Politics are one liners. Most of those fail,. as well.

Old 02-18-2010, 12:13 AM

1,374 posts, read 1,355,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
Freedom! That's why I like this forum. For one thing, I've never seen such excellent trolling.
You hit the nail on the head with that one brother. Apparently, as far as many people here on C-D are concerned, freedom means exercising the uniquely American right to remain uniformed, willfully ignorant, sophomoric and facile, and yet still be taken seriously.

Last edited by Zekester; 02-18-2010 at 12:25 AM..

Old 02-18-2010, 11:36 PM

1,374 posts, read 1,355,261 times

Old 05-18-2015, 03:13 AM

19 posts, read 11,681 times
That freedom stuff is a sticky subject considering every person has a different idea of what freedom actually and truly is.

You can do anything you wish as long as it does not interfere with the life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness of another person.

Now they want to argue about what liberty and the pursuit of happiness are......Maybe argue about what life is too since the corporations have control of everything anymore and would desire to cure some "inefficiencies".

There is really no such thing as freedom any more as living in a society forces one to compromise away too much of what freedom there is to be had.

I ain't even going toward adequate legal representation and / or the "poor penalty" that fills our "prisons for profit"....

Old 05-18-2015, 03:34 AM

26,304 posts, read 12,839,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbguy View Post
That freedom stuff is a sticky subject considering every person has a different idea of what freedom actually and truly is.

You can do anything you wish as long as it does not interfere with the life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness of another person.

Now they want to argue about what liberty and the pursuit of happiness are......Maybe argue about what life is too since the corporations have control of everything anymore and would desire to cure some "inefficiencies".

There is really no such thing as freedom any more as living in a society forces one to compromise away too much of what freedom there is to be had.

I ain't even going toward adequate legal representation and / or the "poor penalty" that fills our "prisons for profit"....
Repped. your screen name is truly inappropriate for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies