Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2010, 08:26 AM

6,022 posts, read 7,828,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Just wait.. liberals will be along anyminute now to proclaim that without the stimulus, it would have been 10 times worse, and how Obama saved us...
so what do you think, i have personally seen on news channels local news about stimulus saving or adding some jobs it cant save all of them
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2010, 08:28 AM

6,565 posts, read 14,293,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city414 View Post
so what do you think, i have personally seen on news channels local news about stimulus saving or adding some jobs it cant save all of them
Pretty clear that it saved hundreds of thousands of teaching jobs...

Oh, and the governator came out and said that the stimulus has helped California, but I'm not going to attempt to put Arnie up there as an "economic expert".....

Old 02-18-2010, 08:29 AM

11,431 posts, read 18,997,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
There's jobs out there? With an UE rate of 9.7% you tell me where these jobs are. You have no idea what field this man is in or what his specialty is. Maybe he's in a highly specialized field.

My point stands, the employment outlook under Obama is far worse than it was under Bush.
yes. point taken. Nobody can deny that UE is high right now. I don't even think that 9.7 is accurate. but to go 5 years without finding A job (as the poster suggested) seems to be a stretch. the poster's son was unemployed 4 years in bush's term and 1 year in obama's. does the poster blame bush at all? I do believe that the President is doing all that he can, but he was dealt a bad hand. the f**kups of the bush admin cannot be undone overnight.

Old 02-18-2010, 08:32 AM

7,545 posts, read 8,325,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett_Butler View Post

Oh, and the governator came out and said that the stimulus has helped California, but I'm not going to attempt to put Arnie up there as an "economic expert".....
It only delays the inevitable while further putting our country in debt.

What happens when the stimulus funds run out? Will those hundreds of thousands of teaching jobs be eliminated then? States are broke for the most part.

Old 02-18-2010, 08:32 AM

I just wonder if we had had Bush for a third term if people think the economy would somehow be better or different?

What do you think Bush would have done that would have worked, while Obama's plan has been a "failure"?

Old 02-18-2010, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
It only delays the inevitable while further putting our country in debt.

What happens when the stimulus funds run out? Will those hundreds of thousands of teaching jobs be eliminated then? States are broke for the most part.
I actually agree with you here. I am in the group that thinks the stimulus has simply put off our ultimate economic judgement for the unchecked excesses that occured primarily in real estate during the Bush Administration (not BLAMING Bush for them necessarily, it's just when it occured)...

As I've always said, I think it MAY have been worthwhile to try to prop everything up while waiting on a recovery. We'll see. I'm just not in the camp wanting to crucify Obama before we KNOW for sure that the stimulus, in actuality, did nothing but delay the inevitable...

If the stimulus ends and the recovery isn't strong enough? Yeah, right back into the crapper with $787 Billion more in debt than we would have had if we'd just accepted our fate....

Old 02-18-2010, 08:40 AM

7,545 posts, read 8,325,030 times
Quote:
I actually agree with you here. I am in the group that thinks the stimulus has simply put off our ultimate economic judgement for the unchecked excesses that occured primarily in real estate during the Bush Administration (not BLAMING Bush for them necessarily, it's just when it occured)...

As I've always said, I think it MAY have been worthwhile to try to prop everything up while waiting on a recovery. We'll see. I'm just not in the camp wanting to crucify Obama before we KNOW for sure that the stimulus, in actuality, did nothing but delay the inevitable...

If the stimulus ends and the recovery isn't strong enough? Yeah, right back into the crapper with $787 Billion more in debt than we would have had if we'd just accepted our fate....
Props to you for admitting that you agree with my statement.

Old 02-18-2010, 08:41 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
I thnik it has saved jobs and created some;but not enough to be worth the money spent. Its also is hard to define as so many were just shift from state and local payrolls plus they treat a one day job the same as even 6 months. I also don't see the massive infrastructure improvements promised. But as long as Democrats say its successful I say let them say so because it elimnates the need for a jobs bill or additional stimulus i tehir own words of sucessful.In the future many relying on entitlements will see what the cost really is.

Old 02-18-2010, 08:42 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,096,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city414 View Post
Of course you've seen the news channel reporting that jobs were saved, its data being fed to them by the administration. There isnt one bit of proof that jobs were saved..
Quote:
Ahh nope.. hundreds of thousands of teaching jobs were never going to be lost.. Just funded differently.
Quote:
Of course sending money to the states helped the states.. Thats not the question, the question is, did it create jobs. Sending money to the states to allow them a cushion to balance their budget does not create jobs, it lowers the amount of cuts the states need to make for things like "welfare", which actually counter jobs...

Old 02-18-2010, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Ahh nope.. hundreds of thousands of teaching jobs were never going to be lost.. Just funded differently.

I work in education. I'd love to see your link to this claim.

Teaching jobs were on the block and some WERE cut anyway. At least in my state, I'd heard NOTHING of "funding teacher jobs differently"...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies