Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2010, 05:03 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,547,540 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
Saying NO without offering any viable alternatives how to improve things or move the country forward is a bad thing. That is EXACTLY what the Republican Party is doing now.
No truer words have be spoken.

Old 10-10-2010, 06:13 PM

6,084 posts, read 6,042,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
This is not 1994, and the reasons behind wanting to stop 0bama and his agenda are different.
Well wap, I do agree with you that the underlying reasons to stop Barry ARE different.

Well at least one person is starting to come around to their senses (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20101010/ap_on_el_se/us_nevada_senate_angle - broken link), but I still think the witch doctor chick from Dela needs to get the boot.

"In a dramatic shift, Republican U.S. Senate candidate Sharron Angle said Saturday she wouldn't work to privatize Veterans Affairs, dismantle Social Security or dismiss unemployment benefits as welfare.

In another slight change Saturday, Angle said of unemployment: "We pay into it, so in some respects, it is an insurance policy that we bought into with our paychecks." She described it previously as a "system of entitlement."

Old 10-28-2010, 09:30 AM

Its time to wake up and smell the coffee.

The Republican party has been dead for the past 15 years or so.

True conservatives and right wingers have been likewise marginalized and ostracized and the deviants and miscreants, the scum of the earth have staged a coup and coopted their once proud and noble name.

What we have now is not the Republican party, it is the Rupert party.

There is no longer a right wing, what we have is the Rupert wing.

Be mindful of this FACT when going to the polls these Tuesday.

"Recall that last spring, David Frum lost his appointment at the conservative American Enterprise Institute before observing, “Republicans originally thought that Fox worked for us, and now we are discovering we work for Fox.” This is literally true in the case of at least four likely Republican candidates for president in 2012: Sarah Palin, Mike Huckabee, Newt Gingrich, and Rick Santorum. In fact, as two Politico writers observe, “With the exception of Mitt Romney, Fox now has deals with every major potential Republican presidential candidate not currently in elected office.”

Old 01-02-2012, 01:04 PM

Excellent article about the inner workings of the Rupert Party which has submerged and marginalized the once proud and mighty Republican party and the lunatic fringe cult of Beck which has infected what was once the respectable right wing of American political thought and philosophy.

"It should have been evident to clear-eyed observers that the Republican Party is becoming less and less like a traditional political party in a representative democracy and becoming more like an apocalyptic cult, or one of the intensely ideological authoritarian parties of 20th century Europe. This trend has several implications, none of them pleasant.

The reader may think that I am attributing Svengali-like powers to GOP operatives able to manipulate a zombie base to do their bidding. It is more complicated than that. Historical circumstances produced the raw material: the deindustrialization and financialization of America since about 1970 has spawned an increasingly downscale white middle class - without job security (or even without jobs), with pensions and health benefits evaporating and with their principal asset deflating in the collapse of the housing bubble. Their fears are not imaginary; their standard of living is shrinking.

Thus far, I have concentrated on Republican tactics, rather than Republican beliefs, but the tactics themselves are important indicators of an absolutist, authoritarian mindset that is increasingly hostile to the democratic values of reason, compromise and conciliation.

Rather, this mindset seeks polarizing division (Karl Rove has been very explicit that this is his principal campaign strategy), conflict and the crushing of opposition.

Also around us is a prevailing anti-intellectualism and hostility to science; it is this group that defines "low-information voter" - or, perhaps, "misinformation voter.But how did the whole toxic stew of GOP beliefs - economic royalism, militarism and culture wars *** fundamentalism - come completely to displace an erstwhile civilized Eisenhower Republicanism?

It is my view that the rise of politicized religious fundamentalism
(which is a subset of the decline of rational problem solving in America) may have been the key ingredient of the takeover of the Republican Party.

It is this broad and ever-widening gulf between the traditional Republicanism of an Eisenhower and the quasi-totalitarian cult of a Michele Bachmann that impelled my departure from Capitol Hill. It is not in my pragmatic nature to make a heroic gesture of self-immolation, or to make lurid revelations of personal martyrdom in the manner of David Brock. And I will leave a more detailed dissection of failed Republican economic policies to my fellow apostate Bruce Bartlett."

Last edited by kovert; 01-02-2012 at 02:14 PM..

Old 01-08-2012, 11:39 AM

Americans don't need anymore lunatic fringe beckians nor Rupert party members.

I'm glad, at least, the progressive media is giving old school right wingers some coverage instead of the freak show the mainstream media has brainwashed the masses into adoring.

"I was governor of Louisiana. We were a state in great difficulty. And there were two reasons I switched. One, I have the same principles as a conservative Democrat. I admit that. I believe in smaller government, I believe in better government. I believe in individual initiative. But I believe there’s a role for government in places, and I thought the Democratic Party had left me. They had become a party of huge government. They represented government employees. I couldn’t get any job creation going in the Democratic Party. That’s number one.

By the way, I helped form a group of Democrats called the Boll Weevils in Congress. We worked with President Reagan for eight years. I was proud of that.

Number two: Louisiana was a one-party state. When I looked at my state legislature, there were 144 members. A hundred and thirty-six of them were Democrats. There was no debate. There was no choice. There was no competition. So I thought that one of the lasting things I could do would be to change parties, because it fit my belief better, although I like some things the Democrats stand for, and, number two, give the state a two-party system, which will make it a better state. It’s worked just like that. Now Republicans are about 55 to 60 percent of the legislature. There’s clear debate. There’s clear dialogue. A one-party nation, a one-party state, is corrupt, and I wanted to change that."

Old 01-08-2012, 11:46 AM

9,827 posts, read 6,934,706 times
Should it also be noted that 39 democrats voted AGAINST the health care bill? Or is that too inconvenient to mention?

Old 01-08-2012, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
Should it also be noted that 39 democrats voted AGAINST the health care bill? Or is that too inconvenient to mention?
Well, one things for sure, it was too inconvenient for you to take note that I am NOT a democrat, but that I HAVE NEVER SUPPORTED THE HEALTHCARE BILL THAT RECENTLY PASSED, in the 1st place.

The name suits you, you are definitely a shaky one.

Old 01-08-2012, 02:00 PM

59,029 posts, read 27,290,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMe View Post
I know you're enamored with the label 'Party of No'. Be aware, though, that adults often must say 'No' to children who have no thought for their own well-being and that of others. Right now the Republicans are the adults. The Dems are the children given to tantrums when they cannot get their way. I think the American public gets it.
I recall the dems being the part of "No" During the Bush years.

Old 02-11-2012, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
I recall the dems being the part of "No" During the Bush years.
Seeing as how dems not only went along to go along with Dumbya's agenda but now are even advancing his policies, it appears when the dems say no to the Ruperty party, they mean maybe; when they say maybe, they mean yes; and but they usually won't publicly say yes, since that would reveal that both parties are little more than multi-national whores.

I do appreciate stand up guys like Scar for speaking on how the Ruperty party and the lunatic fringe have almost destroyed the proud image and legacy of the Republican party and the American right wing in general.

"On Monday, Scarborough called Huntsman's struggle to gain momentum the "great irony" of the Republican race. "I hate to see it cause he is one of the few true conservatives in the race," he said. "We are now left with big government conservatives."

Old 02-11-2012, 11:54 AM

994 posts, read 724,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovert View Post
The pre-1994 GOP (http://www.gop.com/index.php/learn/accomplishment/ - broken link) had quite an impressive record of publicly funded domestic infrastructure achievements, diplomacy, and governmental support of social equity policies.

Now it is being lead de facto by disc jockeys and other media pundits along with the various interest groups that sponsor them.

I think I have dug up from whence this change first began.

I found this article very enlightening on how far the GOP has strayed from its roots.

I hope everyone else does too.
Well, I gave it an honest shot but I just couldn't get through it.

The introduction was slanted, but bearable. I noticed the supporting evidence for the author's arguments all implicated conservatives but the arguments themselves were nonpartisan so I was willing to go with it.

Then it goes into an explanation of the orgins of the phenomenon during the Reagan administration. Then a long recouting of the evils of the conservatives sabotaging the Clinton administration. Wait a minute, wasn't there a Bush 41 administration in there with the Democrats threatening a government shutdown? Oh well, go on. Let's see what he says about Bush 43. So on to the next section. "It reached full bloom under the Obama administration." At this point I had to stop reading. BOTH Bush administrations completely skipped? He literally ends one paragraph in 2001, and starts the next one in 2008.

Sorry, but when you're writing an article on gridlock and simply skip any year in which the Democrats are the opposition party, you don't have credibility.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies