Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2010, 09:19 PM

768 posts, read 942,486 times

Advertisements

Scientists have identified areas of the brain that, when damaged, lead to greater spirituality. The findings hint at the roots of spiritual and religious attitudes, the researchers say.

The study, published in the Feb. 11 issue of the journal Neuron, involves a personality trait called self-transcendence, which is a somewhat vague measure of spiritual feeling, thinking, and behaviors. Self-transcendence "reflects a decreased sense of self and an ability to identify one's self as an integral part of the universe as a whole," the researchers explain.

Before and after surgery, the scientists surveyed patients who had brain tumors removed. The surveys generate self-transcendence scores. Selective damage to the left and right posterior parietal regions of the brain induced a specific increase in self-transcendence, or ST, the surveys showed.

"Our symptom-lesion mapping study is the first demonstration of a causative link between brain functioning and ST," said Dr. Cosimo Urgesi from the University of Udine in Italy. "Damage to posterior parietal areas induced unusually fast changes of a stable personality dimension related to transcendental self-referential awareness. Thus, dysfunctional parietal neural activity may underpin altered spiritual and religious attitudes and behaviors."

Links to Spirituality Found in the Brain - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/livescience/20100212/sc_livescience/linkstospiritualityfoundinthebrain - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2010, 11:34 AM

Figured this would be 30 pages by now.

Old 02-21-2010, 11:45 AM

4,829 posts, read 6,929,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkin about it View Post
Were you expecting some outrage? ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Old 02-21-2010, 11:48 AM

4,829 posts, read 6,929,711 times
Quote:
Scientists have identified areas of the brain that, when damaged, lead to greater spirituality. The findings hint at the roots of spiritual and religious attitudes, the researchers say.

The study, published in the Feb. 11 issue of the journal Neuron, involves a personality trait called self-transcendence, which is a somewhat vague measure of spiritual feeling, thinking, and behaviors. Self-transcendence "reflects a decreased sense of self and an ability to identify one's self as an integral part of the universe as a whole," the researchers explain.

Before and after surgery, the scientists surveyed patients who had brain tumors removed. The surveys generate self-transcendence scores. Selective damage to the left and right posterior parietal regions of the brain induced a specific increase in self-transcendence, or ST, the surveys showed.

"Our symptom-lesion mapping study is the first demonstration of a causative link between brain functioning and ST," said Dr. Cosimo Urgesi from the University of Udine in Italy. "Damage to posterior parietal areas induced unusually fast changes of a stable personality dimension related to transcendental self-referential awareness. Thus, dysfunctional parietal neural activity may underpin altered spiritual and religious attitudes and behaviors."

Links to Spirituality Found in the Brain - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/livescience/20100212/sc_livescience/linkstospiritualityfoundinthebrain - broken link)
Maybe this will get a better response.

Spiritual Women Have More Sex

Spiritual Women Have More Sex | LiveScience

Old 02-21-2010, 11:52 AM

111 posts, read 375,827 times
I agree with Soccersupporter. Most of those 'scientists' who were involved in the study were probably atheists subconsciously looking for validation of their beliefs; this is similar to creationists who deny the evidence of macro-evolution to validate their beliefs. I'm quite happy in my faith and have no desire to prove through science that my religion is true, or prove that religion isn't true through science.

Old 02-21-2010, 11:58 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
Religion is faith. You can't prove faith.

Old 02-21-2010, 12:00 PM

4,049 posts, read 5,031,258 times
And some people like to accuse those who don't have this 'spiritual self-transcendence' as being simple "concrete thinkers". Next they'll tell us that our parietal neural activity is the dysfunctional type.. The correct type is that which functions reminiscent of brain damage..

Old 02-21-2010, 12:02 PM

410 posts, read 515,088 times
I noticed the amount of support given by religious groups towards mentally ill and may be a factor to the amount of mentally ill that turned spiritual.

Old 02-21-2010, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvad242 View Post
I agree with Soccersupporter. Most of those 'scientists' who were involved in the study were probably atheists subconsciously looking for validation of their beliefs; this is similar to creationists who deny the evidence of macro-evolution to validate their beliefs. I'm quite happy in my faith and have no desire to prove through science that my religion is true, or prove that religion isn't true through science.
I read stuff like this, and I rethink my strategy to try to be a better person.

Most of you folks are truly helpless.

Old 02-21-2010, 12:12 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,190,876 times
Quote:
Well if you are just looking for 30 pages of responses, then you worded the topic thread properly, as it isn't entirely accurate and is however inflammatory.

Spirituality is a mental illness

Quote:
I've read the entire article and no where does it state that "spirituality is a mental illness".

It does however point to how various areas of the brain are linked to tendencies among people to have greater belief in spiritualism. It also claims that in brains damaged by tumors and their removal, can illicit these same types of effects. It doesn't mention that if these results were based solely upon the brain being damaged from the tumor or subsequent surgery, or the rewiring of the brain during the healing process.

However, no where does it state mental illness and spirituality being linked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies