Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2011, 07:18 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,344,316 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Can most people afford to start a business? Is it actually possible for the majority of people to own their own businesses, will the economy support that many businesses?
What I did was think long and hard about what people could not live without.

My answer was water.

Everyone will need to find their own answer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2011, 12:11 AM

3,022 posts, read 2,274,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
That couldn't be further from the truth.
Any proof? You just stating your opinion that is not true not prove anything.

Old 09-13-2011, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
The decision is made jointly between the employee and the employer. The employer makes an offer, and the perspective employee either accepts or makes a counter offer.

If nobody accepts the open position, the obviously the pay is too low, and the employer is going to have to pony up a few more bucks. I went to work for ATI in 1996, they had a position open for months, and we sat down to the bargaining table, they made an offer, and I looked at my perspective employer and advised him that the offer was unsat, and made a counter offer. We dickered for a bit, and came to an equitable conclusion. Had I blindly accepted the initial offer, I would have ended up working for only 67% of the final accepted pay rate and benefits.

BTW, your premise that every human that works, deserves to be able to live off the earnings is also an incorrect premise. Many people have part time jobs, many people have low paying full time jobs that require very little effort or talent. Should a part time worker make enough to live off of? What about the person hired to keep the garbage off of the grounds of a park? What about the 16 year old dressed up as micky mouse at the amusement park for 40 hours a week.

There are a lot of jobs out there that just aren't high paying jobs and they are done by unskilled workers for lower pay. As you get skilled in something that is in demand, you earn more money for your labor.

You do know that many part time workers want to be full time but the employer will not give them enough hours to avoid benefits. It is easy to tell the difference between a teenager needing a part time job to work and an adult who needs enough to live on. Like I have stated a hundred times not everyone can get skilled in something in demand there are only a certain amount of those jobs.

Old 09-13-2011, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EuroTrashed View Post
I'm curious how you would define "work". If I pick up my newspaper every morning and make a cup of coffee and read it and I call this "work", will you say I deserve enough to live on this? If not how will you define what is work deserving to be able to have enough to live on and what is not.

Really? You want me to define work? I guess you gotta nitpick at my wording since you do not have anything else of substance to post.

Old 09-13-2011, 12:54 AM

Location: Currently I physically reside on the 3rd planet from the sun
2,220 posts, read 1,877,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Can most people afford to start a business? Is it actually possible for the majority of people to own their own businesses, will the economy support that many businesses?
You don't get it.

It is not will the economy support that many businesses?

It is that many businesses will create a boom to drive a recovering economy.

WE DON"T NEED JOBS!!!!

Wake up people, we live in a rich country with industrious entrepreneurial people.
This is the Bull**** lie our government feeds us from the left and the right as they sell us out and actively sabotage small business.

For Gods Sakes, GA Police are shutting down childrens lemonaide stands.

Armed Federal agents are destroying product and confiscating money from enterprises that fall outside their jurisdiction.

The Department of Public Health is again destroying resources and threatening to shut down small business for using fresh, health ingredients to create a superior product to the mass produced garbage of larger competitors(it's called protectionism)

The question I ponder is who plans for who,
Do I plan for myself, or leave it to you,
I want plans by the many . . .
. . . not by the few

John Papola ~Fight of the Century

Old 09-13-2011, 01:34 AM

6,137 posts, read 4,861,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt1984 View Post
Any proof? You just stating your opinion that is not true not prove anything.
I'm not going to prove a very simple law of economics here. The employer does not decide the wage. If that were the case, employers would just "decide" to pay everybody minimum wage.

Old 09-13-2011, 07:53 AM

2,514 posts, read 1,987,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
No, I read exactly what you wrote, which you just repeated multiple times...that you want the prices of housing going up. By stating that "We need the price of houses going up" the only logical conclusion to draw is that you think that the prices are currently too low.
The current price of houses is above the market equilibrium point. So I think that the price of houses is to high relative to the current wages. Currently the price of houses is to high. Taking this with me saying that I think we need the price of houses going up leads to the conclusion that wages are too low. “the only logical conclusion to draw” Again you were putting words into my mouth. Driving up wages will drive up the price of houses. But it will let the ratio of wages to house prices correct to a more sustainable ratio as the prices of both go up. With the price of houses going up we get economic growth. With the price of houses falling we get economic contraction.

The problem that I have with what you said is the word “only”. We need the price of houses going up and the current price of houses is to high, both at the same time. The conclusion that I draw from this statement is that the economy is out of balance and balance needs to be restored. This is not the only conclusion that can be drawn from this statement.

You were inferring what I though the current state of affairs was, from a statement of what I said we need the state of affairs to be. You were not stating this as your inference but as what I thought. What I think is that wages are too low. What I think is that driving up wages will restore balance to the economy. I also think that using the minimum wage law is the most effective way to go about this. Currently the price of houses is to high relative to wages the falling price of houses will tend to drive down wages. This is what I think.

Last edited by newonecoming2; 09-13-2011 at 08:02 AM..

Old 09-13-2011, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
I'm not going to prove a very simple law of economics here. The employer does not decide the wage. If that were the case, employers would just "decide" to pay everybody minimum wage.
The employer does decide the wage based on the job and the value it is to the company. Many employers do decide to pay minimum wage since unfortunately for them the law does not allow them to pay less. Who do you think decides the wage the employee? No the employee has to accept that wage that is already there before the were hired. The government only sets the lowest wage to pay but does not make businesses pay only that amount.

Old 09-13-2011, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie117 View Post
Being a McDonald's cashier is unskilled labor, anyone who goes through the brief employee orientation can do it. As such, few people make a career out of being a cashier, the overwhelming majority of said positions are filled by the 16-25 age demographic. Something you commit to as a career is going to pay far more than minimum wage, and well into the zone of a comfortable salary.
If anyone can do these jobs why do people get fired from these jobs? Obviously not everyone can do these jobs.

Old 09-13-2011, 10:46 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,344,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt1984 View Post
If anyone can do these jobs why do people get fired from these jobs? Obviously not everyone can do these jobs.
Many times...bad drug test.

I had to let a worker go that made $22 an hour.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies