U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2010, 06:29 PM
Status: "Pensar en la inmortalidad del cangrejo" (set 11 days ago)

35,000 posts, read 22,959,978 times

Advertisements

'But their vision of the federal government is frequently at odds with the one that both parties have constructed. Tea Party gatherings are full of people who say they would do away with the Federal Reserve, the federal income tax and countless agencies, not to mention bailouts and stimulus packages. Nor is it unusual to hear calls to eliminate Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid. A remarkable number say this despite having recently lost jobs or health coverage. Some of the prescriptions they are debating — secession, tax boycotts, states “nullifying” federal laws, forming citizen militias — are outside the mainstream, too.'

Tea Party Lights Fuse for Rebellion on Right - NYTimes.com

This article makes the interesting observation that many people who align themselves with the Tea Party are actually new to politics. They never really paid attention to it before.

Is this true?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2010, 06:36 PM

8,640 posts, read 5,022,503 times
I am not going to bother reading the artical but I will agree with this statement:

"This article makes the interesting observation that many people who align themselves with the Tea Party are actually new to politics. They never really paid attention to it before."

Most of the people I have met when I went to a few of the rallies were completely new to anything like a protest. What drove them there was the radicalism of hussein obama who seemed to be in a frenzy to change America as fast as he could and spend as much as he could before the people caught onto him.

Old 02-21-2010, 06:36 PM

4,879 posts, read 2,191,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
'But their vision of the federal government is frequently at odds with the one that both parties have constructed. Tea Party gatherings are full of people who say they would do away with the Federal Reserve, the federal income tax and countless agencies, not to mention bailouts and stimulus packages. Nor is it unusual to hear calls to eliminate Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid. A remarkable number say this despite having recently lost jobs or health coverage. Some of the prescriptions they are debating — secession, tax boycotts, states “nullifying” federal laws, forming citizen militias — are outside the mainstream, too.'

Tea Party Lights Fuse for Rebellion on Right - NYTimes.com

This article makes the interesting observation that many people who align themselves with the Tea Party are actually new to politics. They never really paid attention to it before.

Is this true?
Most are new, I would say.

"Tea Party gatherings are full of people who say they would do away with the Federal Reserve, the federal income tax and countless agencies, not to mention bailouts and stimulus packages. Nor is it unusual to hear calls to eliminate Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid."

I don't see anything wrong with this.

"Some of the prescriptions they are debating — secession, tax boycotts, states “nullifying” federal laws, forming citizen militias — are outside the mainstream, too."

What's out of the mainstream here?

Secession has been done before.

States nullified laws that the Bush Adminstration passed. And many before that. I think it was first done in 1798. Won't swear to it though. And that was when the people that wrote the Constitution were in power. Therefore, it is well within a states right to do so. I wish they did it more.

I wouldn't advocate not paying taxes but many people don't. And as far as forming citizen militias? I guess I would want to know the purpose. If it's for protection then I don't see what the problem should be.

Seems to me tea party people just want to roll back the power of the federal government. Nothing extreme at all in that.

Old 02-21-2010, 06:42 PM

4,608 posts, read 5,035,188 times
I would think that Tea Party'ers are more new to political activism than they are to politics. Many of the group are the old white haired folks that the lefties made fun of during the McCain campaign. I'm part of that crowd. We watched VietNam and to a point kept the criticism to ourselves. We wanted to believe in our government. We watch as Lyndon Johnson hatched his Great Society and were glad to share the fortunes of life in the U.S. with the less fortunate. We've watched successive Congresses abuse their privilege as elected officials and even worse, abuse the Constitution. We've watched this country go from a second tier nation prior to WWII to the last standing world power. And we've watched as this country has offered opportunity to succeed to any who would seize it to seeing that we're about to mortgage any opportunity following generations might have had. We see our time to influence events is running short.

So we'll pick up where we left off when we headed out to disco. We'll take with us those who agree. It's time to stop the abuse.

But really, you knew that.

Old 02-21-2010, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsldcd View Post
I am not going to bother reading the artical but I will agree with this statement:

"This article makes the interesting observation that many people who align themselves with the Tea Party are actually new to politics. They never really paid attention to it before."

Most of the people I have met when I went to a few of the rallies were completely new to anything like a protest. What drove them there was the radicalism of hussein obama who seemed to be in a frenzy to change America as fast as he could and spend as much as he could before the people caught onto him.
Spot-on impression!

As you note, they're completely new, so they're like blank slates, like sponges. They dont know what they're talking about. They're powered by emotion -- ignorant, misinformed anger and fear. They are fed what information they will accept solely from manipulative right-wing sources -- we read the results on this forum every day.

Old 02-21-2010, 06:50 PM

14,693 posts, read 9,771,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsldcd View Post

Let's be honest and call the Tea Party Movement what it really is....the "Let's Get That N----r Out of Office" Movement.

Old 02-21-2010, 06:50 PM

Here's a link to an article about the Virginia and Kentucky Resolution of 1798.

Those states asserted at that time that they reserve the right to nullify any law by the feds that encroached on states rights.

As I said, this was 10 years after the Constitution was ratified. That leads me to believe the Framers had no problem with nullification. Yet, Tea Party want to do it and it is "out of the mainstream" Ridiculous. The person that wrote the article should study-up a little before smearing people.

And the Bush Adminstration passed the "Real ID" act after 9-11. So many states nullified that the the feds just gave up on enforcing it. Were those states out of the mainstream?

I read a few months ago that Ohio and some other states, Utah I think was one, would nullify Health Care "reform" I hope they do. I want no part of it.

I'm so sick of people smearing Tea Party people. I think it's great citizens are taking an active role in government. It's about ****ing time. If people diagree with them then they need to get involved too. Not sit around and write newspaper articles saying people that agree with the Framers are out of the mainstream.

Off my soap box now. LOLs.

Here's the article on nullification. Thomas Jefferson was big fan of it. But what did he know?

Principles of 1798

Old 02-21-2010, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Let's be honest and call the Tea Party Movement what it really is....the "Let's Get That N----r Out of Office" Movement.
You must be 18 years of age to post on C-D.

Old 02-21-2010, 07:07 PM

69,637 posts, read 59,643,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioIstheBest View Post
Here's a link to an article about the Virginia and Kentucky Resolution of 1798.

Those states asserted at that time that they reserve the right to nullify any law by the feds that encroached on states rights.

As I said, this was 10 years after the Constitution was ratified. That leads me to believe the Framers had no problem with nullification. Yet, Tea Party want to do it and it is "out of the mainstream" Ridiculous. The person that wrote the article should study-up a little before smearing people.

And the Bush Adminstration passed the "Real ID" act after 9-11. So many states nullified that the the feds just gave up on enforcing it. Were those states out of the mainstream?

I read a few months ago that Ohio and some other states, Utah I think was one, would nullify Health Care "reform" I hope they do. I want no part of it.

I'm so sick of people smearing Tea Party people. I think it's great citizens are taking an active role in government. It's about ****ing time. If people diagree with them then they need to get involved too. Not sit around and write newspaper articles saying people that agree with the Framers are out of the mainstream.

Off my soap box now. LOLs.

Here's the article on nullification. Thomas Jefferson was big fan of it. But what did he know?

Principles of 1798
Been a long time since 1798. I think the Civil War settled that issue in 1865. Been a long time since then, too.

Old 02-21-2010, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Now, now. They only just happened to all get "interested in politics" at once.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies