U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2010, 05:58 AM

22,233 posts, read 16,116,865 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post

Right, that's why so many Canadians come to the US for health care, because UHC is working so perfectly up north.
The US has the best facilities in the world. Anybody with the ability to pay for it, can use it. The problem is, fewer and fewer Americans, have the ability to pay for it. If your insurance premiums keep doubling, or more, each decade, how long will you be able to pay for your care, how long will your children be able to pay for their care?

The link below give you some actual information, rather than political spin. Compare the US to a number of Countries, look at France, Germany, Great Britain, ... all of them do a better job than we do. How can you, or anybody else not see the need for us the learn from them. Ego is good for some things, but when it harms you, it's quite dumb.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...ryId=110997469

Last edited by florida.bob; 02-28-2010 at 06:13 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2010, 07:06 AM

2,424 posts, read 1,992,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
It is absolutely free to many who cannot work or are unemployed. The rest of us who work and pay the tax have NO problem with that. Who knows, one day we might be in that unfortunate position of a crippling illness that stops us working and it is a HUGE comfort to know that our healthcare will NEVER be affected.
My question was, How much do you pay in taxes for UHC?, How much is your income tax?

Old 02-28-2010, 07:10 AM

35,817 posts, read 35,627,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
If you are one of the people who believe the media then go straight ahead. The media earns money with sensationalism.... a bad story sells far more than a good one.
There are three different sources in my post but actually, I listen to your Daniel Hannan. Now there's a British chap with a brain.

Britain’s Dan Hannan, “Nationalized healthcare has made us iller”. Speaks out on G20 and Stimulus « The IUSB Vision Weblog

This is an excellent long multi-part video. In it, Ron Paul and your Daniel Hannan discuss government involvement in healthcare. It's from August 2009.

Ron Paul and Daniel Hannan on Healthcare | Ron Paul .com

Old 02-28-2010, 07:42 AM

90,420 posts, read 108,235,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pamky View Post
Since when is Canada "the World" and how many Canadian come to the US for health services?
This has been discussed before on this forum, and the answer is "not many". The links are here on CD for anyone who cares to search. I believe the term is "Canadian Snowflakes". As for their PM coming here for heart surgery, I'd take that story with a grain of salt. Maybe he did come here, but I doubt he stated his reasons as has been quoted here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nite Ryder View Post
I don't want the government telling me what medications my doctor can give me, I don't want the government causing me to have to wait to visit my doctor or hospital.
I take it you don't use private insurance, then. They will tell you the same things.

Old 02-28-2010, 07:49 AM

2,775 posts, read 3,239,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleanhouse View Post
Perhaps your nation has a Government that has earned enough trust of its citizens to allow for UHC or at least a Government option.

When our Government earns our trust I think you will see more support for it here.
The paranoia of our government instilled in our people by the conservative media elite, makes that kind of trust impossible.

Old 02-28-2010, 07:57 AM

22,233 posts, read 16,116,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nite Ryder View Post
You sound like you fit right into the topic of your post. What I'm saying is you sound like an idiot. Have you ever seen the government run anything and do a good job of it? I didn't think so. Have you read the total health care bill as it was first proposed? Again, I didn't think so. I don't want the government telling me what medications my doctor can give me, I don't want the government causing me to have to wait to visit my doctor or hospital. If this whole program is so good, why are our congresssmen excluding themselves? Wake up, do some reading before you talk about something you don't know anything about. Better yet, just stay in London with the rest of the fools, you seem to fit right in there also.
If you don't want to see these things, then you need to support the bill.

Old 02-28-2010, 07:57 AM

1,223 posts, read 1,181,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I take it you don't use private insurance, then. They will tell you the same things.
Seems you accept the fact that the government will act as private insurance in controlling healthcare. So tell me again,....where is the difference? Oh,...yeah,...."damned 'ol for-profit companies",....vs. "damned 'ol ineffecient government in a power grab".

On one hand an individual has a choice,...on the other one is fined for not following a government mandate. I'll take choice every time.

Old 02-28-2010, 08:05 AM

90,420 posts, read 108,235,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdne View Post
Seems you accept the fact that the government will act as private insurance in controlling healthcare. So tell me again,....where is the difference? Oh,...yeah,...."damned 'ol for-profit companies",....vs. "damned 'ol ineffecient government in a power grab".

On one hand an individual has a choice,...on the other one is fined for not following a government mandate. I'll take choice every time.
I think Nite Ryder thinks the govt. will act as private insurance does now. Perhaps he believes these idyllic stories of health care decisions currently being made "between dr and patient". Ha! I work in health care and I see evidence of what the RW has been "predicting" every day, e.g. insurance interfering with doctor's decisions.

The for-profit issue is a huge one. That's what accounts for cherry-picking customers, restricting people with pre-existing conditions (I'm not talking about someone getting sick then buying ins, I'm talking about someone who had a condition being turned down for ins. b/c they will cost the co. too much money, e.g. diabetes), setting lifetime limits, etc.

Old 02-28-2010, 08:19 AM

5,369 posts, read 4,850,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
The US has the best facilities in the world. Anybody with the ability to pay for it, can use it. The problem is, fewer and fewer Americans, have the ability to pay for it. If your insurance premiums keep doubling, or more, each decade, how long will you be able to pay for your care, how long will your children be able to pay for their care?

The link below give you some actual information, rather than political spin. Compare the US to a number of Countries, look at France, Germany, Great Britain, ... all of them do a better job than we do. How can you, or anybody else not see the need for us the learn from them. Ego is good for some things, but when it harms you, it's quite dumb.

Compare International Medical Bills : NPR

We have reason to celebrate.

"The U.S. health system is the most expensive in the world, but comparative analyses consistently show the United States underperforms relative to other countries on most dimensions of performance".

Mirror, Mirror on the Wall: An International Update on the Comparative Performance of American Health Care - The Commonwealth Fund

So having a expensive health insurance industry and a expensive health care industry has given the average Joe or Jane, less 'care' in the US then in other major countries.

Yes, those are reasons to celebrate.

Old 02-28-2010, 09:53 AM

5,369 posts, read 4,850,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigr View Post
Don't worry, my attorney has helped me handle the situation. Been dealing with the government long enough to know how incompetent they are and how they operate. Now if you would please answer the question I asked you it would be much appreciated.
Why should the government be any different then just about everything and everybody else in this country?

Isn't this, "The United Incompetent States of America".
In BS We Trust.
All others wait in line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies