Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2010, 09:38 AM

2,305 posts, read 3,027,691 times

Advertisements

Geeoro, Have you ever done any business with the US government where you perform a service and they in turn pay you?

I have a contract with the US government which I received 9 years ago. When I invoice them for services (which I am able to charge them MUCH more than the private sector for the same service) I am often paid twice on the same invoice. I usually receive the second payment 40 to 60 days later.

I use to hold onto the checks and wonder when the letter would come that they made a mistake. After a year and no letter I started depositing them in a separate account that I do not touch.

So I truly do not believe the US government would improve our health care system any if they were in control. And this comes from a person with no health insurance and the money to purchase it but cannot get any at any cost because of existing health problems.

We need to reform our health care system but not by the government taking it over. But by our politicians being honest and fixing what is the real problems with it. And honesty and politicians are like oil and water.

Have you ever looked at the UK's debt versus GDP? Pretty damn scary if you ask me. And the US is well on the way to catching the UK and I believe UHC would make it happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

2,422 posts, read 2,277,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
Quote:
I could quaudruple my NH tax for my healthcare, unemployment benefits, disability benefits, retirement benefits etc etc etc
etc and it would still be far cheaper than the monthly premiums just for standard helthcare in the USA. No one gets something for nothing but to compare what a UHC costs per month and the Private Insurance in the USA for healthcare is really not a place where anti health reformers want to go.
I seriously doubt it!

8,998 posts, read 14,781,409 times
Quote:
I would much rather pay taxes for health and education for my fellow citizens or legal residents than pay taxes for disastrous wars or an obsolete space programme.
Too bad I can't rep you!

Old 02-27-2010, 09:39 AM

7,923 posts, read 8,843,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
That is very true unless that American finds him/herself really screwed like my wife and I. Then one realizes how for 35 years of paying premiums mean very little when things get bumpy for many in this era of baby boomers. As I mentioned in earlier posts my wife is ill with a chronic condition and its been a battle with insurance companies for several years only to find ourselves out of insurance. This is the place for profit insurance companies want my wife, out of the game. Here's the kicker, I pay less out of pocket for her care than with insurance. The other kicker is in the scheme of things her treatment really isn't that costly. But because its chronic, not curable is the reason she's out.
There is no doubt in my mind insurance executives sat in board rooms and made decisions to start weeding out ill baby boomers one way or the other these past 10 years.
One of the many things that the anti UHC brigade fail to understand is that even with a chronic controllable illness, the stress brought about by no health cover is awful. If you have Diabetes, for example, in America your life is a long road of expense and stress. This is unimportant to people with health insurance until they get Diabetes, for example, and then realise the thousands of Dolars paid in past premiums mean absolutely nothing. With a UHC your payments cover you for everything for the rest of your life, whether you are still earning or not. Under a UHC your drugs, testing machines etc etc are free.

Old 02-27-2010, 09:41 AM

8,998 posts, read 14,781,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aveojohn View Post
Here's a link about socialized medicine.---http://http://www.angelfire.com/pa/sergeman/issues/healthcare/socialized.html (broken link)

More right-wing fear mongering.

You think there aren't horror stories here in the U.S.?

At least with UHC the system is accountable to the people. Health insurance companies are only accountable to their stockholders who could care less how many surgeries, doctor's visits, prescripitions, etc. were denied in order to bring them $$.

Old 02-27-2010, 09:47 AM

Quote:
I seriously doubt it!
And you doubt this because?????????????????????
It doesn't suit your argument perhaps!?

Old 02-27-2010, 09:47 AM

2,422 posts, read 2,277,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post
More right-wing fear mongering.

You think there aren't horror stories here in the U.S.?

At least with UHC the system is accountable to the people. Health insurance companies are only accountable to their stockholders who could care less how many surgeries, doctor's visits, prescripitions, etc. were denied in order to bring them $$.
So, what happens if a doctor screws up? Can you sue?

Old 02-27-2010, 09:49 AM

Quote:
I seriously doubt it!
How much experience have you got in paying for a UHC ?????????

Old 02-27-2010, 09:49 AM

4,104 posts, read 5,307,384 times
Serious question: What were your premiums every month in absolute dollars and as a percentage of your gross pay? If your spouse works does she have to pay also? What are the employer taxes for each worker as a percentage in the UK?

What is the financial condition of your UHC program?

Thanks.

Old 02-27-2010, 09:52 AM

1,224 posts, read 1,286,559 times
Quote:
One of the many things that the anti UHC brigade fail to understand is that even with a chronic controllable illness, the stress brought about by no health cover is awful. If you have Diabetes, for example, in America your life is a long road of expense and stress. This is unimportant to people with health insurance until they get Diabetes, for example, and then realise the thousands of Dolars paid in past premiums mean absolutely nothing. With a UHC your payments cover you for everything for the rest of your life, whether you are still earning or not. Under a UHC your drugs, testing machines etc etc are free.
......HEY,...DID EVERYONE SEE THAT PIG FLY OVER????????

Free? That's what the left is using to sell this program.

FREE!!!!!

What a steaming shovelful of horse manure!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies