Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2010, 05:21 AM

7,923 posts, read 8,845,129 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiddles View Post
We are not cars. We are PEOPLE, people! Flesh, blood, someones mother, grandparent, sister, child.
Absolutely....... but to the arrogant who can afford good health care the poor or chronic sick of America are peasants who deserve nothing. It always amazes me how their attitude towards a Govt. health system changes drastically when THEY lose their health cover or become sick and the Insurance company denies them treatment....this happens every day in America.
Change is always scary and big change even scarier but Health reform is long overdue in America and only selfishness and greed will hold up much needed health care for EVERY American.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2010, 05:31 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,911,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
Absolutely....... but to the arrogant who can afford good health care the poor or chronic sick of America are peasants who deserve nothing. It always amazes me how their attitude towards a Govt. health system changes drastically when THEY lose their health cover or become sick and the Insurance company denies them treatment....this happens every day in America.
Change is always scary and big change even scarier but Health reform is long overdue in America and only selfishness and greed will hold up much needed health care for EVERY American.
as a UK citizen, you should realize that britain's debt level is higher than the united states, and we don't want to go there. you might want to read this article, called "britain grapples with debt of greek proportions":
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/03/bu...l/03pound.html

here in the US, 3/4 of all medical bankruptcies had health insurance. this legislation does not fix the problem.

what it will do is bankrupt the health insurance companies-after all if you can't deny preexisting conditions everyone could just wait until they had a terminal condition to buy the insurance-and the insurance companies could not deny care. guess what that does? that shifts the entire medical burden right back onto americans, as well as destroying yet more jobs and more taxpayers.

we should have had a bill that looked at reforming the system, opening up competition, and prosecuting the corruption, but we did not get that. ron paul had some good ideas, as did other people. what we actually got was a little game of "kick the can down the road" or "health care hot potato".

Last edited by floridasandy; 03-23-2010 at 05:40 AM..

Old 03-23-2010, 06:17 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,851,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
here in the US, 3/4 of all medical bankruptcies had health insurance. this legislation does not fix the problem.
That 3/4 of medical bankruptcies were due primarily to the fact that when the "insured" started to actually cost the Ins Co., they were, suddenly, no longer "insured". What kind of insurance is that? This legislation absolutely does fix that problem. Does it fix every problem, no, not yet.

Old 03-23-2010, 07:04 AM

6,175 posts, read 12,936,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
That 3/4 of medical bankruptcies were due primarily to the fact that when the "insured" started to actually cost the Ins Co., they were, suddenly, no longer "insured". What kind of insurance is that? This legislation absolutely does fix that problem. Does it fix every problem, no, not yet.
I don't know if this legislation fixes that problem, and I doubt you do either. Have you read the entire bill and understand it all?
And if it does "fix" that problem, I'd like to know how. Does the bill say that no insurance company is allowed to rescind a policy if it finds that the insured lied or hid pertinent information? That's the most common reason cited by those insurance companies for rescissions. And while I don't pretend that the insurance companies aren't looking for any possible excuse to rescind a policy before they have to pay out on it, and probably go too far sometimes, cancelling policies that absolutely shouldn't be canceled, I'd ask that we also not pretend that none of these people withheld information from the insurer when they were applying for their policy, knowing that a certain test result or chronic problem would affect their rate or even their eligibility for insurance.

Old 03-23-2010, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Keegan View Post
I don't know if this legislation fixes that problem, and I doubt you do either. Have you read the entire bill and understand it all?
And if it does "fix" that problem, I'd like to know how. Does the bill say that no insurance company is allowed to rescind a policy if it finds that the insured lied or hid pertinent information? That's the most common reason cited by those insurance companies for rescissions. And while I don't pretend that the insurance companies aren't looking for any possible excuse to rescind a policy before they have to pay out on it, and probably go too far sometimes, cancelling policies that absolutely shouldn't be canceled, I'd ask that we also not pretend that none of these people withheld information from the insurer when they were applying for their policy, knowing that a certain test result or chronic problem would affect their rate or even their eligibility for insurance.
I have read the entire bill, it does not, that I could see, go into that specific. I can see why someone would withhold info when applying for coverage. If they feel that providing that would result in higher or even the ability to obtain coverage. But with the absence of preexisting exclusion, what would motivate them to not provide that info? And, even if they did, how would an Insurance Co be allowed to cancel a policy due to preexisting or even missing info. I suppose they could, but would assume that would result in lawsuits. You are right though, I have not read any specificity on that particular question in the bill. I am sure there are many other scenarios that are not specifically addressed as well. If the legislation were to actually address all such questions, I don't think Cantor would have been able to carry his prop into the HC Summit meeting.

Old 03-23-2010, 07:34 AM

6,175 posts, read 12,936,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
But with the absence of preexisting exclusion, what would motivate them to not provide that info? And, even if they did, how would an Insurance Co be allowed to cancel a policy due to preexisting or even missing info. I suppose they could, but would assume that would result in lawsuits. You are right though, I have not read any specificity on that particular question in the bill. I am sure there are many other scenarios that are not specifically addressed as well. If the legislation were to actually address all such questions, I don't think Cantor would have been able to carry his prop into the HC Summit meeting.
Ther motivation would be the same as it's always been; to get their insurance at a lower rate. I have to think that one's health status and condition will be a facotr in the rate one pays for health insurance. And if an insurance company finds that a person lied on an application, shold they not be allowed to rescind the policy, or at the very least not pay for the care of the condition that wasn't disclosed as it should have been?

Old 03-23-2010, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Keegan View Post
Ther motivation would be the same as it's always been; to get their insurance at a lower rate. I have to think that one's health status and condition will be a facotr in the rate one pays for health insurance. And if an insurance company finds that a person lied on an application, shold they not be allowed to rescind the policy, or at the very least not pay for the care of the condition that wasn't disclosed as it should have been?
You point is well taken. But if a person withheld info and Ins Co was allowed to not cover that condition or rescind the contract. The claim might not be paid, perhaps rightfully. But that person would still be allowed to obtain coverage thru another policy for future claims on that issue, as long as the info is provided. It might be at a higher rate if that is appropriate. I don't see this as a huge issue, but yes it is an issue that will undoubtedly come up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies