Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 07:46 PM

3,536 posts, read 5,907,380 times

Advertisements

May I suggest that you read that article to see that most of the left leaners in this thread haven't done so. I think that you may see that it was a very fair study and didn't have any bias that I could see. I wonder just how many here have read the whole thing besides me and a couple of others that proved they did so.

Look, I've written a college article near the same thing.
http://www.dailynexus.com/article.php?a=12169

David Horowitz put it on his website even. I was contacted by a conservative media group to cover events at UCSB.

The change? Well, first off, it was written for a group...so I wrote to my audience. I knew what my audience wanted and gave it to them. That's media. That's the business. Find a few facts and spin it to your means.

In the article you posted, one main point was that professors agree with the statement that we should question authority.

"College professors, according to the report, were also more likely to agree with the statement: “Educators should instill more doubt in students and reject certainty."

It doesn't provide context and assumes in strictly in the political sense.

In science you constantly question the authorative rules in place to further science. Otherwise, we would still believe that the earth is flat and that the sun revolves around the earth.

Learning is based on doubt. Doubt leads to questioning which can lead to new paradigms. There was doubt when people presented notions that African Americans were inherently dumber. The doubt led to questioning which led to the widely held belief that those previous notions were simply false.

As I said, I have two college degrees and could have had a third but I am against same sex marriage. I guess that makes me some kind of really nasty person but it is how I feel. Better knowledge in the areas you listed doesn't mean that any of those fields are less antiquated, determined by who the professors they studied under were. Progressives are very much adamant about creating more progressives no matter the area of study.

No, it means that most likely you are entrenched in a belief pattern that doesn't enable to have doubt. That maybe while you are educated, you don't have the sufficient knowledge in certain areas to know about sexuality or simply refuse to look at such data (you don't want to doubt your current notions).

It's oxymoronic you use the word antiquated immediately followed by progressive. It's almost comical. Regardless, there is no progressive "plot", for the most part. I don't like professors that don't allow you express any doubt (progressive or not).

However, I think that those who read this thing found that the writer wasn't really against any of them.

Considering the audience, the style, the lack of context at times...it's implicit where he stands.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2010, 07:48 PM

89,026 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
You'll get it when you grow udders and get milked.

It's irrelevant, and you've been told so over and over again. You found one document that blames the rampant anti-intellectualism on progressives while supporting an anti-science, pro-theology agenda that truly is anti-intellectual.
Either you didn't read the article, or you didn't understand what you read. The article, in fact, points out...

"The “research” that aspiring professors of education carried on in their doctorates “cover such a wide range of indefinite subject matter that they have been repeatedly and deservedly ridiculed,” Barzun observed. The doctorate in education, or Ed.D., continues to be regarded as far inferior to Ph.Ds in traditional academic subjects, and scholars took to calling 120th Street, which separated Teachers College from the rest of Columbia University, as “the widest street in the world.”
ed school crisis

Those with Ph.Ds in science and other traditional academic fields consider ed school doctorates to be far inferior. How does that make those traditional field academicians anti-science?

The article focused on the academic void in ed schools and subsequently the schools in which their graduates teach. It had nothing to do with theology, pro- or otherwise.

Old 02-24-2010, 07:52 PM

14,483 posts, read 11,282,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
Another thing that I learned in college was to use multiple sources. Regardless, anti-intellectualism is rampant on the right.
That's because psuedo-intellectualism is rampant on the left.

Old 02-24-2010, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
That's because psuedo-intellectualism is rampant on the left.
As is on the right...

Old 02-24-2010, 07:58 PM

8,624 posts, read 9,088,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
According to the results of this study that answer may well be Yep, Yep and yep. It seems that those with degrees are more likely to believe in same sex marriage and a number of things that you need to read to the end of the article to see all of.

CNSNews.com - College Professors Are More Likely to Believe ‘Ten Commandments are Irrelevant Today,' New Study Says (http://www.cnsnews.com/public/content/article.aspx?RsrcID=61703 - broken link)

College is the institutions of indoctrination and propaganda. I was talking to a friend in Wa. yesterday that was so furious because of a class she was required to take, Multiculturalism. She said it was the most racist anti-white, bigoted, gay ranting INTOLERANT diatribe that she refused to sit through it. The "gay professor" went on a raving rant if anyone did not swallow her hatred and vile assertations.

My freind told her "I'll be damned if I am going to sit here and be insulted and attacked for being white by someone who is one shade from pale herself"

I am trying to convince her to tape this class and go public with it.

Last edited by dcsldcd; 02-24-2010 at 08:18 PM..

Old 02-24-2010, 08:02 PM

6,993 posts, read 6,338,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guy View Post
No, it means that most likely you are entrenched in a belief pattern that doesn't enable to have doubt. That maybe while you are educated, you don't have the sufficient knowledge in certain areas to know about sexuality or simply refuse to look at such data (you don't want to doubt your current notions).
Having read many, many posts by the OP, I'd say your analysis is spot on.

Old 02-24-2010, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsldcd View Post
College is the institutions of indoctrination and propaganda. I was talking to a friend in Wa. yesterday that was so furious because of a class she was required to take, Multiculturalism. She said it was the most racist anti-white, bigoted, gay ranting INTOLERANT diatribe that she refused to sit through it. The "gay professor" went on a raving rant if anyone did not swallow her hatred and vile assertations.

My freind told her "I'll be damned if I am going to sit here and be insulted and attacked for being white by someone who is one shade from pale herself"

I am trying to convince her to tape this class and go public with it.
Could it be she already came in expecting a horrible experience and it was a self fulfilling prophecy?

Old 02-24-2010, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Could it be she already came in expecting a horrible experience and it was a self fulfilling prophecy?

Nice try. She would like her degree. Why would she go in expecting a horrible experience when it is the first time she has taken that class? No this professor was such a rabid hate filled attacker, a few students are going to the dean. I want her to tape her and take it to the media so people will become aware of the propaganda that people are paying for.

Old 02-24-2010, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsldcd View Post
Nice try. She would like her degree. Why would she go in expecting a horrible experience when it is the first time she has taken that class? No this professor was such a rabid hate filled attacker, a few students are going to the dean. I want her to tape her and take it to the media so people will become aware of the propaganda that people are paying for.
What? The way you wrote was that Multicultralism would not be something she is interested in. I never stated she never wanted her degree. I'm simply saying it could be a self fullfilling prophecy. Not to mention even if you tape her, you most likely agree with this stance (again self fulfilling prophecy).

Old 02-24-2010, 09:15 PM

Quote:
What? The way you wrote was that Multicultralism would not be something she is interested in. I never stated she never wanted her degree. I'm simply saying it could be a self fullfilling prophecy. Not to mention even if you tape her, you most likely agree with this stance (again self fulfilling prophecy).

Are you trying to twist things to distract from the issue? She took the class because it was required to complete her degree. The only thing self-fuiifilling would be the class to work towards her degree.

I don't need anything self-fullfilled. I already know what those intolerant haters, spewing their propaganda at the expense of young minds are all about. I only learned about her taking the class after her experiance. I am begging her to expose these hate filled classes that people are forced to attend to get their degree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies