Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2010, 10:11 AM

638 posts, read 929,741 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Whatever parallels there are, they're minute compared to the pre-1964 segregation days. You can vote. You can drink from any water fountain. You can sit at a lunch counter. You simply cannot get married and cash in (Ka-ching!) on the monetary benefits that you think you deserve. Let's be honest, that's what the whole "gay rights" thing is all about: Money. When put in that perspective, gays are no different than any other opportunist in this nation. "Gimme, gimme, gimme. I deserve that money! He's my partner! Oh, and while your at it, can I have a marriage certificate to go with that? The bank won't cash this check unless I have it."
Hmmm, so there is no correlation to pre1964 and now? LOL, Well what about anti-gay crimes that occur (still with a regular prevalence)? I have a attached a few links below:

Man Beat on CTA
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/ct-met-hate-crime-charges-20100224,0,785300.story
Two Men Beat in Downtown Austin
http://www.kvue.com/news/Two-men-say-attack-in-downtown-Austin-is-a-hate-crime-85280217.html
Bias and Hate Crimes Often go Unreported
http://www.buffalonews.com/2010/01/09/917816/gay-harassment-bias-crimes-often.html

I could go on and on. Especially when addressing the higher profile cases such as Mathew Shepherd. Please also note that the crimes listed above are recent, (as of this year). Discrimination against gays in this country obviously surpasses simple marital rights. Deep seated hatred still exists to the point that individuals are willing to harm their victims. This speaks of deep seated biases and the willingness of some individuals to erase certain personal liberties.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2010, 10:17 AM

78,416 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
What is with the new trend of homophobic bigots not wanting to admit to being hateful, prejudiced, or intolerant of homosexuals? I'm really baffled. You can tell by their behavior that they are prejudiced and hateful yet they will never admit it or discuss it. In fact they use the excuse that "a lot of their friends and co-workers are gay."

Gay sounds like the new black . Remember the old saying "A lot of my friends are black". Suuuuure they are.
I think you'd be surprised to find out the political affiliation of many of those people too? What has been your experience?

It's not socially acceptable to do things like be bigoted so people generally hide it unless they let thier guard down or if it's ok in your peer group.

Personally, I could care less.

Old 02-25-2010, 10:22 AM

11,446 posts, read 16,185,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
What is with the new trend of homophobic bigots not wanting to admit to being hateful, prejudiced, or intolerant of homosexuals? I'm really baffled. You can tell by their behavior that they are prejudiced and hateful yet they will never admit it or discuss it. In fact they use the excuse that "a lot of their friends and co-workers are gay."

Gay sounds like the new black . Remember the old saying "A lot of my friends are black". Suuuuure they are.
Good, decent, hard-working, religious, patriotic Americans will never admit to any negative character traits.

Old 02-25-2010, 10:23 AM

78,416 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDCJoe View Post
Hmmm, so there is no correlation to pre1964 and now? LOL, Well what about anti-gay crimes that occur (still with a regular prevalence)? I have a attached a few links below:

Man Beat on CTA
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/ct-met-hate-crime-charges-20100224,0,785300.story
Two Men Beat in Downtown Austin
http://www.kvue.com/news/Two-men-say-attack-in-downtown-Austin-is-a-hate-crime-85280217.html
Bias and Hate Crimes Often go Unreported
http://www.buffalonews.com/2010/01/09/917816/gay-harassment-bias-crimes-often.html

I could go on and on. Especially when addressing the higher profile cases such as Mathew Shepherd. Please also note that the crimes listed above are recent, (as of this year). Discrimination against gays in this country obviously surpasses simple marital rights. Deep seated hatred still exists to the point that individuals are willing to harm their victims. This speaks of deep seated biases and the willingness of some individuals to erase certain personal liberties.
There are some interesting statistics out there on what ethnic groups are most likely to commit gay-bashing. (As well as other hate crimes.)

Old 02-25-2010, 10:30 AM

1,052 posts, read 1,648,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Why are there so many threads about Gay topics on CD? It seems after i opened mine , a ton opened up. What i find interesting is when i tell people i'm gay , alot of Straight males pull me to the side and are interested in how my bed room life works.
Strange, it's a simple answer, no? One is on top and one is on bottom. One puts it in and one takes it

Old 02-25-2010, 10:38 AM

3,849 posts, read 3,752,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC
So it's all about love huh?

None of this matters. Is that what i'm hearing?

Automatic Inheritance ($$$$) Power of Attorney/Will or both Which can be and often is successfully fought in court by the family of the deceased

Automatic Housing Lease Transfer ($$$$) Automatic Transfer to Anyone listed on a Lease Again, too often successfully fought in court.

Bereavement Leave ($$$$) few businesses offer it, in same boat as most everyone However, even with those businesses that grant it it is too often not granted to the gay man or woman whose life partner has died. Nor does it have to do with $$$$ so much as simply the time to grieve and take care of details that follow a death.

Burial Determination Power of Attorney/Will Again, too often successfully fought in court.

Child Custody ($$$$) Natural Parents If the child has been adopted by either of the partners, then the 'natural parents' have relinquished parental rights. The partner who isn't either 'natural parent' or adoptive parent is unable to do basic things like registering the child for school or procuring medical care for the child.

Crime Victim’s Recovery Benefits ($$$$)

Divorce Protections ($$$$) Notorized Agreements

Domestic Violence Protection Call the Cops As a woman, if I had a man who abused me, I could get a restraining order from the court to keep that man away from me. As a woman, If I had to call the cops on a man who was abusing me, that man would almost automatically be hauled off to jail. Why should that same cop be allowed to simply smirk at the idea of my gay friend being abused by his partner? And that's too often the reaction from cops to a report of domestic violence within a gay household.

Exemption from Property Tax on Partner’s Death ($$$$)

Immunity from Testifying Against Spouse Don't marry a Criminal That's just ridiculous.

Insurance Breaks ($$$$) Obamacare

Joint Adoption and Foster Care ($$$$) Gays shouldn't adopt Your opinion with nothing to back it up.

Joint Bankruptcy ($$$$) Pay Your Bills or file seperate If there is a bankruptcy being filed, it's because, for one reason or another, the bills can't be paid. If those bills were accumulated together as a couple, why should they not be both entitled to the same protection from creditors at the same time, without having to spend twice as much for lawyers as any married couple filing bankruptcy? Or do you not understand that sometimes only one of the partners is employed, with the second one staying home either to care for the home or because he or she is unable to work?

Joint Parenting (Insurance Coverage, School Records) ($$$$)

Medical Decisions on Behalf of Partner Power of Attorney/Will Again, too often successfully fought in court.

Certain Property Rights Power of Attorney/Will/ Notorized Agreements Again, too often successfully fought in court.

Reduced Rate Memberships ($$$$) Oh waaa! Bet you would get them if they can sign you both up.

Sick Leave to Care for Partner ($$$$) few businesses offer it, in same boat as most everyone However, even with those businesses that grant it it is too often not granted to the gay man or woman whose life partner is ill. Nor does it have to do with $$$$ so much as simply the time to take care of the partner who is ill.

Visitation of Partner’s Children Power of Attorney/ Notorized Agreements Again, too often successfully fought in court.

Visitation of Partner in Hospital or Prison Power of Attorney/ Notorized Agreements. Although this is a lie. I have never been stopped in a hospital and asked my relationship. Friends can visit prisoners.

Wrongful Death (Loss of Consort) Benefits ($$$$) Insurance Policy Which the family of the deceased can again fight in court, too often successfully.

Nope, not a single dollar anywhere to be found in those benefits.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsldcd View Post
Mine in bold (except last sentance). This is all a bunch of bull. No! None of the above matters because there is a way to handle everything, the same as people who just live together handle things.
And mine in purple.

Old 02-25-2010, 10:49 AM

3,849 posts, read 3,752,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
A phobia is a psychiatric term which refers to an irrational or morbid fear and is consider an anxiety disorder, hence a mental illness.

So, if you disagree, or have a religious objection to homosexuality, then you are mentally ill by this definition.

So could it not also then be said that Homosexuals exhibit Hetrophobia? Would this be accurate? Is it that homosexual people have a mental illness which makes them fear hetrosexuals? Why is it this is a one way street that applies to one group but not to others?

Sounds more like a label of convenience in which you can say anyone who disagrees with me is mentally ill.
Except that's not all there is to the definition of homophobia. Here's the definition from Webster's online:
Quote:
Main Entry: ho·mo·pho·bia
Pronunciation: \ˌhō-mə-ˈfō-bē-ə\
Function: noun
Date: 1969
: irrational fear of, aversion to, or discrimination against homosexuality or homosexuals
— ho·mo·pho·bic \-ˈfō-bik\ adjective
Note the last six words in that definition. Also note that nowhere does it say anything about 'mental illness'.

Old 02-25-2010, 11:09 AM

26,680 posts, read 28,670,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleanhouse View Post
Lets ask some of our Black posters how they feel about that.
Go ahead. Are you assuming that all or most blacks are anti-gay? I can assure you that they're not. Just like everyone else, blacks have gay friends, family members, and acquaintances they care about.

Old 02-25-2010, 11:11 AM

11,135 posts, read 14,193,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMcQ LV View Post
Except that's not all there is to the definition of homophobia. Here's the definition from Webster's online: Note the last six words in that definition. Also note that nowhere does it say anything about 'mental illness'.
Phobia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
A phobia (from the Greek: φόβος, phóbos, meaning "fear" or "morbid fear") is an intense and persistent fear of certain situations, activities, things, animals, or people. The main symptom of this disorder is the excessive and unreasonable desire to avoid the feared stimulus. When the fear is beyond one's control, and if the fear is interfering with daily life, then a diagnosis under one of the anxiety disorders can be made.[1]

This is caused by what are called, neutral, unconditioned, and conditioned stimuli, which trigger either conditioned or unconditioned responses. An example would be a person who was attacked by a dog (the unconditioned stimulus) would respond with an unconditioned response. When this happens, the unconditioned stimulus of them being attacked by the dog would become conditioned, and to this now conditioned stimulus, they would develop a conditioned response. If the occurance had enough of an impact on this certain person then they would develop a fear of that dog, or in some cases, an irrational fear of all dogs.[citation needed]

Phobias are the most common form of anxiety disorders. An American study by the National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH) found that between 8.7% and 18.1% of Americans suffer from phobias.[2] Broken down by age and gender, the study found that phobias were the most common mental illness among women in all age groups and the second most common illness among men older than 25.
According to the National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH) phobias are listed as "Anxiety disorders". So what is an "anxiety disorder"?

Anxiety disorder - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
Anxiety disorder is a blanket term covering several different forms of abnormal and pathological fear and anxiety which only came under the aegis of psychiatry at the very end of the 19th century.[1] Current psychiatric diagnostic criteria recognize a wide variety of anxiety disorders. Recent surveys have found that as many as 18% of Americans may be affected by one or more of them.[2]
Quote:
Anxiety disorders are often comorbid with other mental disorders, particularly clinical depression, which may occur in as many as 60% of people with anxiety disorders. The fact that there is considerable overlap between symptoms of anxiety and depression, and that the same environmental triggers can provoke symptoms in either condition, may help to explain this high rate of comorbidity

Personally, I could care less what two consenting adults do, however I take offense when people suggest that someone is mentally ill if they disagree or have some objection.

Homophobia is indeed suggesting that people are mentally ill and while this may be true in very limited cases, it is never used as such as is as we see here a blanket term used to cover anyone who may disagree or object.

Old 02-25-2010, 11:12 AM

26,680 posts, read 28,670,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
A phobia is a psychiatric term which refers to an irrational or morbid fear and is consider an anxiety disorder, hence a mental illness.

So, if you disagree, or have a religious objection to homosexuality, then you are mentally ill by this definition.
Most people understand that "phobia" doesn't always refer to a clinical condition. All you have to do is look up the word "homophobia" in the dictionary to understand how its commonly used.

There are people who have a problem with gays. They won't come out and say it. Instead, they whine about the word "homophobia", or even the word "gay". The anti-gay sentiments always come out, one way or another.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies