Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2010, 09:10 AM

37,794 posts, read 40,990,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58robbo View Post
this thing of govt employees getting guaranteed pensions for life and free, full cover health insurance funded by the taxpayer, is unfair. we should all have to shop for health insurance and pension coverage in the same market. oh and by state employees i mean everyone, from this president and including all the others, all the members of congress, past and present down to council street sweepers.
Why don't you tell us about your working history.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2010, 09:11 AM

9,879 posts, read 8,015,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
These are the benefits that partially make up for the low pay. Many government employees could make a fortune in the business world but are willing to work for less in order to work for a higher calling than corporate greed.
I don't believe many government employees "could make a fortune" in the business world. It's a competitive market out there. A degree or skill does not guarantee tons of money anywhere. Folks choose government because of the added benefits, job security and less demand on their time. The difference between the Men and the Boys. The men go into the private
sector, the boys go into government.

The question is: can States and Municipalities continue to
carry these lifetime pensions with higher property taxes, etc. after only 20-25 years of service? I say no.

With the now 78-81 life expectancy, don't even start giving any pension payments until age 67 -70, just like Social Security.

Old 02-26-2010, 09:15 AM

3,283 posts, read 5,205,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
very funny responses, wait till they subcontract cops teaches and social workers, the people you dont take care of are not guna take care of you.

James Tooley discusses his book The Beautiful Tree on ABC News Now | Cato Institute: Media Highlights

Old 02-26-2010, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
I don't believe many government employees "could make a fortune" in the business world. It's a competitive market out there. A degree or skill does not guarantee tons of money anywhere. Folks choose government because of the added benefits, job security and less demand on their time. The difference between the Men and the Boys. The men go into the private
sector, the boys go into government.

The question is: can States and Municipalities continue to
carry these lifetime pensions with higher property taxes, etc. after only 20-25 years of service? I say no.

With the now 78-81 life expectancy, don't even start giving any pension payments until age 67 -70, just like Social Security.

thank you pollyrobin for injecting a little common sense into this thread. it seems as though many of the posters here have their heads buried in the sand and refuse to recognise that we have a serious pension crisis which is going to be transfered onto the shoulders of the taxpayer.

my only position on this is that govt should not be in the business of making promises for future generations to honor. if corporations want to do so that's fine but those corporations should be responsible for the promises they make.

Old 02-26-2010, 09:27 AM

9,879 posts, read 8,015,211 times
Thanks for the link

People helping themselves - what a concept.
Where there's a will, there's a way

Old 02-26-2010, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Why don't you tell us about your working history.

do you want my cv too? how about references? i worked in the industry in 2 different countries. if that's not good enough for you what can i say?

Old 02-26-2010, 09:30 AM

6,993 posts, read 6,335,421 times
Quote:
you seem to be suggesting that the pension crisis is a figment of my imagination. to which i have to ask you, what planet are you living on? have you read the paper recently? i have 2 little ones fwiw
That may be because my state, Florida, is in much better shape than most.
Quote:
Some states are doing a far better job than others at managing this bill coming due. States such as Florida, Idaho, New York, North Carolina and
Wisconsin all entered the current recession with fully funded pensions. The Trillion Dollar Gap State Pension Crisis
So, yes, I have read the paper recently, but there's been no extensive coverage of a pension crisis, because in my state, there isn't one.

Perhaps, when you return to the states, you should look for a state gov't job in Florida??

Old 02-26-2010, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
Thanks for the link

People helping themselves - what a concept.
Where there's a will, there's a way

i don't know anymore. he must be a shill for the corporate education industry

Old 02-26-2010, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
That may be because my state, Florida, is in much better shape than most. So, yes, I have read the paper recently, but there's been no extensive coverage of a pension crisis, because in my state, there isn't one.

Perhaps, when you return to the states, you should look for a state gov't job in Florida??

i'll be moving back to tampa in july and i might just take you up on that. lol.

i do however believe that the people are not going to stand for government excess for much longer. some people missed out on the gravy train of rising real estate. that is to say that if you bought in 2006 you probably missed the boat. if you're joining the govt workforce in 2010 chances are that you've missed that boat too

Old 02-27-2010, 06:13 AM

6,993 posts, read 6,335,421 times
Quote:
i'll be moving back to tampa in july and i might just take you up on that. lol.

i do however believe that the people are not going to stand for government excess for much longer. some people missed out on the gravy train of rising real estate. that is to say that if you bought in 2006 you probably missed the boat. if you're joining the govt workforce in 2010 chances are that you've missed that boat too
The FRS offers two roads to retirement: a traditional pension plan (6 years to be vested) or an investment plan (immediate investment and is portable). Many young teachers have chosen the investment plan, which does exactly what you have outlined in your posts. FRS, which covers all state employees, not just teachers, also offers the Deferred Retirement Option Program (DROP), which allows an employee who reaches full retirement, to retire and continue working for up to 5 more years, during which time retirement benefits are deposited into an interest bearing (6.5%) account.

Don't know your field or age, but if you want secure benefits, work for the gov't - federal if you want the best, state is second best. You make your life choices, you live with the consequences....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies