Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2010, 08:46 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,024,360 times

Advertisements

http://www.pionline.com/apps/pbcs.dl.../REG/941605495
A number of heavyweight public funds — including the $245.4 billion California Public Employees’ Retirement System and the $169.2 billion California State Teachers’ Retirement System, both in Sacramento; the $110 billion New York City Employees Retirement Systems; and the $50.4 billion Massachusetts Pension Reserves Investment Management Board, Boston — have been at the forefront of that growth

Do state budgets have that much money for economic development. Wanna pull that out of your state economy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2010, 09:18 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,471,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
In my state (Mass), state workers pay into the system but they also are guaranteed a retirement pay equal to 80% of the 2 highest salaried years of their career, Tax free! Additionally, even though the state pension system is a fund that invests in the stock market, this pay is immune to the ups and downs of the market. If the pension system goes bust, the taxpayer pays the pension.

They are also guaranteed health coverage until they die.
pensions are not tax free....it may be STATEtax free...but it is taxed federaly

a good example here would be the NYPD.....do 20 years and get a 50% pension...that is taxed by the federal government........get out on disability though...and its totally tax free....I knew a female that was on the force for only 5 years, got into a car wreck, got 3/4 disability....for the rest of her life....and she is capable of working.......

Old 02-27-2010, 09:37 AM

3,283 posts, read 5,205,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
http://www.pionline.com/apps/pbcs.dl.../REG/941605495
A number of heavyweight public funds — including the $245.4 billion California Public Employees’ Retirement System and the $169.2 billion California State Teachers’ Retirement System, both in Sacramento; the $110 billion New York City Employees Retirement Systems; and the $50.4 billion Massachusetts Pension Reserves Investment Management Board, Boston — have been at the forefront of that growth

Do state budgets have that much money for economic development. Wanna pull that out of your state economy.

did i suggest that i wanted them to pull anything out of the economy?
i agree with you, some of these funds have huge reserves, but that only presents half the picture because it's one thing for a pension to have $245 billion in assets, but it doesn't look that good if you then find out it has $300billion in liabilities
take calpers they lost $24.9 billion in the recent market downturn. If the market stays down then taxpayers will be required to make up the shortfall so that state retirees can get their money. then our taxes will go up.
California, other states face problem of growing pension liabilities - Los Angeles Times

Old 02-27-2010, 09:38 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,024,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
pensions are not tax free....it may be STATEtax free...but it is taxed federaly

a good example here would be the NYPD.....do 20 years and get a 50% pension...that is taxed by the federal government........get out on disability though...and its totally tax free....I knew a female that was on the force for only 5 years, got into a car wreck, got 3/4 disability....for the rest of her life....and she is capable of working.......
Local pensions are another ball game. They have much smaller pools and often don't have the investment portfolio's to back up their benefits. The examples you give are what makes them so problematic. They are not based on 30 plus year careers. State pensions are fairly easy to fix if state legislatures can muster up the political will. Full eligibility should be 35 years and or age 62. You can up the employee contribution a little also.

Old 02-27-2010, 09:43 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 58robbo View Post
the last ones i wanna call when i'm in trouble and the only ones i'm forced to pay!
the ones that incessantly call the cops are the same ones that file complaints. detroit or bagdad makes no difference.plead for help -then bite them. i love some of the posts, "cops are used to being called names it doesnt affect them like other people" LOL. then when you are old and used up, they dont wana pay you.

Old 02-27-2010, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
the ones that incessantly call the cops are the same ones that file complaints. detroit or bagdad makes no difference.plead for help -then bite them. i love some of the posts, "cops are used to being called names it doesnt affect them like other people" LOL. then when you are old and used up, they dont wana pay you.
listen huckleberry, that teary-eyed line might work on twelve year olds but not me. most occupations fulfill a social function. some people bring you the food you eat, others the medical care you need, others teach you, some build your shelter, other repair your car, some bring you that fuel. most people go in day in and day out, break their balls to bring home a buck. i don't see why you believe that some deserve special treatment!

Old 02-27-2010, 10:13 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 58robbo View Post
listen huckleberry, that teary-eyed line might work on twelve year olds but not me. most occupations fulfill a social function. some people bring you the food you eat, others the medical care you need, others teach you, some build your shelter, other repair your car, some bring you that fuel. most people go in day in and day out, break their balls to bring home a buck. i don't see why you believe that some deserve special treatment!
wow rugged individualism w/o mercy, read your profile. blank but strong adamate opinion stated of rugged individualism. you are utterly self reliant and have never used any of the services mentioned?? so you would of course never need them?? and see them as utterly unnecessary??. wow i have not been that confident and sure of myself since i was 15. how old are you?

Old 02-27-2010, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
wow rugged individualism w/o mercy, read your profile. blank but strong adamate opinion stated of rugged individualism. you are utterly self reliant and have never used any of the services mentioned?? so you would of course never need them?? and see them as utterly unnecessary??. wow i have not been that confident and sure of myself since i was 15. how old are you?
thanks bud, but what i use i pay for. period. i'm not a big fan of paying for a service someone in my fathers generation provided, especially when they got to retire at the back breaking age of 50 while i'll probably have to work until 70(if i make it) and my kids will never understand the concept of retirement

Old 02-27-2010, 10:39 AM

1,417 posts, read 2,180,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by enraeh View Post
Librarian
Government average: $74,630
Nationwide average: $49,110

Librarian?.... LIBRARIAN ????? Seventy-four thousand, six hundred thirty dollars?

no wonder they are having to close libraries. 74K to babysit the homeless.
Librarians generally have to hold MASTERS degrees.
It's not like working at a bookstore.
(Obviously you should have spent more time in the library.)

Old 02-27-2010, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicket View Post
Librarians generally have to hold MASTERS degrees.
It's not like working at a bookstore.
(Obviously you should have spent more time in the library.)

please excuse my ignorance, but why do librarians need to hold a masters? not being facetious just want to understand what their job entails which would require 5 years+ study?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies