Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2010, 05:16 PM

69,368 posts, read 63,853,697 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
But notice that they never, never, never mention that. All we hear is how they were shut out of the process. Liars.
The Republican parts are AMENDMENTS to the original bill. 154 (if I recall thats the actual number) of them in all. In the event you missed the important part, they are AMENDMENTS. If they were in the process, they would not be AMENDMENTS.. They would be in the BILL. The fact that SOME of the points that are in Republican bill, also is in the Democratic one, doesnt mean Democrats invited Republicans to the process. It means that they SHARE the same ideas. They are not liars, but that doesnt stop the hate you feel, does it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew View Post
I think the point they are trying to make is that there well could be some areas of agreement but the other 1,906 pages are not.
Absolutely. Just because some of the proposals they agree on, doesnt mean that Republicans should bend over and accept the other thousands of pages where they dont..
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2010, 05:36 PM

Ahh, the truth begins to come out..

Tom Harkin read a letter, from a farmer, stating his busines depends on affordable health care.. by "Raymond Smith".. He failed to mention that Raymond Smith, is the brother of an employee that works for Mr Harkin.

Old 02-25-2010, 05:41 PM

6,902 posts, read 7,512,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Ahh, the truth begins to come out..

Tom Harkin read a letter, from a farmer, stating his busines depends on affordable health care.. by "Raymond Smith".. He failed to mention that Raymond Smith, is the brother of an employee that works for Mr Harkin.

How is that different from the Republican Senator who spoke about his Friend requesting that he kill the bill? I guarantee that every story told by each Senator was either a story they've heard from a relative or close friend or maybe an actual letter that came in. It really doesn't matter, there are stories that support both sides of the aisle, the bottom line is, the system is broken and need to be fixed. Now what?

Old 02-25-2010, 05:43 PM

9,879 posts, read 7,983,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew View Post
I think the point they are trying to make is that there well could be some areas of agreement but the other 1,906 pages are not.
Obama to Eric Cantor (Republican Whip)

"I gather, let me just guess. That’s the 2,400-page health care bill, is that right.... You know when we do props like this, you stack it up, and you repeat 2400 pages etc., the truth of the matter is, is that health care's very complicated. And we can try to pretend that it's not, but it is. Every single item that we've talked about on the Republican side, if we wanted to exhaustively deal with fraud and abuse, would generate a bunch of papers. So I point that out, just because, yep, these are the types of political things we do, that prevent us from actually having a conversation. Now let me respond to your question."

Pretty much sums up the Republicans input for me - strictly political. No interest in what is best for America.

Old 02-25-2010, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackandproud View Post
How is that different from the Republican Senator who spoke about his Friend requesting that he kill the bill?
The Republican was honest about who it was he was talking about.. Harkin implied that he received a letter from a complete stranger out of the clear blue..

Old 02-25-2010, 05:47 PM

114 posts, read 111,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
Yes the arrogance of that man. Who does that black guy think he is? President of the United States.

Maybe I shouldn't see it this way, but whenever I see the "arrogant" argument I think its rooted in racism. Why aren't you calling Boehner arrogant? Or Pelosi? they both like to pointificate as politicians do...
Ok ... Pelosi is ARROGANT!! ... And let's add Frank, Dodd, and Reid to the ARROGANT pack while we're at it!!!

Instead of posting example after example, or video after video showing Obama's arrogance, I'll just give you one write-up/example that encompasses his arrogance as a whole ......................

--------
The obvious question is: If the Tea Party movement is as irrelevant as the Obama administration claims it is, why do they even give it the time of day?

The answer possibly lies in the President’s own perceived arrogance (or not-so- perceived). Simply put, he doesn’t like to be criticized – by anyone. It’s a good thing for the President that he’s a liberal Democrat. Otherwise, it is hard to see how he could stand the scrutiny of the mainstream media, which is not often friendly to public officials who don’t fit that ideological mold. The only major media outlet that challenges Obama’s policies seems to be Fox News, which, like the Tea Party movement, has been singled out by the administration as being potentially dangerous for America – but irrelevant at the same time.

This contradicting characterization demonstrates precisely how the administration feels about strong opposition to its policies – it’s dangerous for them politically, thus they want to reduce the status of such outlets as Fox News, talk radio, and the Tea Party movement as being irrelevant in the eyes of the public. And, as it appears, they will go so far as to use the power of the White House microphone to accomplish this goal.

Compare the actions of President Obama and his surrogates to that of the Bush administration. Can you recall Bush or, perhaps, his onetime senior adviser Karl Rove, publicly attacking such notoriously liberal media outlets as the New York Times, MSNBC, Air America, or the Huffington Post, when they were in office? Did we hear whining from the Bush administration when Hollywood, via “documentary” filmmaker Michael Moore, released a summer movie denouncing and even fabricating Bush’s actions and policies regarding the war on terror?

The difference in behavior between the two administrations is acceptance of an innate fact of public life, which President Obama has not yet seemed to accept – that criticism naturally comes with the power of any elected office in a free society (let alone, the Presidency of the United States). President Bush didn’t address attacks on his policies by various media outlets – and, as we all remember, there were many – likely because, in addition to the attention it would have brought to an otherwise insignificant outlet, when compared to the power of the White House, such recognition would undermine the very credibility for which the administration was under attack.

If this present White House followed that course of action with regard to Fox News, perhaps the cable news network would not have experienced the increase in ratings that it did in the past year. Perhaps if Obama didn’t have senior officials like Jarrett publicly condemning ordinary Americans that make up the Tea Party movement, maybe the movement would not have increased its numbers in the past year. Perhaps if Obama finally realized he was President of the United States and not a candidate for the office anymore, maybe he wouldn’t feel that he had to address and try to prevent every meager attack or criticism that came his way.

Luckily, the arrogance of this administration, most recently embodied by Jarrett’s vilification of the Tea Party movement, will likely continue to strengthen its growing opposition throughout the United States. Most Americans recognize that not every member of the Tea Party movement subscribes to one specific political ideology, nor are they all of the same race or background (which the movement’s detractors would probably prefer they be). Likewise, Fox News viewership is not solely made up of members of the Republican Party – logically, it would be impossible for one cable news channel to be leading its two chief competitors by the amount that Fox News currently does, in a country where Democrats outnumber Republicans in registration, with just members of the latter party watching.

At the risk of sounding like a latte-sipping leftwing “intellectual,” it could be said that Obama’s hubris will likely result in his downfall and ultimately cost him the power and prestige he cherishes so much, as it has for so many leaders throughout human history. And, as we have previously seen with recent elections and declining poll numbers, evidence of such a political downfall seems like it just might be already in the works.

Obama’s arrogance goes on display again, with Jarrett’s dismissal of the Tea Party movement

Old 02-25-2010, 05:51 PM

6,902 posts, read 7,512,696 times
Quote:
The Republican was honest about who it was he was talking about.. Harkin implied that he received a letter from a complete stranger out of the clear blue..

I've edited my post after you responded, but let me state this, honestly and again my comment is not partisan at all. Does it really matter? Folks are drowning in health care debt. I recall a time when I only paid something like $300 per month, that was in 2000.

Each year that has increased until I could no longer afford Health insurance with the company I was working for once the two oldest got into college.

I actually apprectiated some of the comments from both sides, there were some that I wished would just slither away Pelosi was one and Cantor was the other. I just find it amazing that we all watched and listened to the same thing and folks still refuse to see that the people at that table were clueless. You can't tell me everything you heard from the Republicans proposal you agree with just like I definately will not say that everything the Democrats propose I agree with.

Old 02-25-2010, 06:12 PM

Official time clock shows

Democrats spoke for 5 hours 46 minutes broken up by
Obama 1 hour 53 minutes
Democrats 3 hours 53 minutes

Republicans spoke for 1 hour 50 minutes.

Old 02-25-2010, 06:16 PM

114 posts, read 111,245 times
Quote:
Official time clock shows

Democrats spoke for 5 hours 46 minutes broken up by
Obama 1 hour 53 minutes
Democrats 3 hours 53 minutes

Republicans spoke for 1 hour 50 minutes.

Old 02-25-2010, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleanhouse View Post
I wonder what they had for lunch. You think they went the fiscally conservative route with Pizza?

Or did they have it catered by Morton's Steak house?
Ask and you shall receive.

buffet lunch served
Chicken with Vegetables and spinach
grilled salmon
rice
salads
smoked turkey
grilled tenderloin

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies