Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 01:42 PM

9,890 posts, read 10,821,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasNick View Post
Greg, I'm at a loss of words. Stay away from children. Hope I can put that lightly enough.
I will second that! I think I will stick to teaching right from wrong!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2007, 08:00 PM

30,345 posts, read 51,930,608 times
Quote:
Greg, I'm at a loss of words. Stay away from children. Hope I can put that lightly enough.
And they say liberals can't handle the truth...

I actually admire what Greg said, because it's much closer to reality than most of you want to realize... and as somebody who's been working with teenagers for years, I can tell you they're MUCH smarter than adults give them credit for. They know BS when they hear it, and it only makes them want to rebel or "figure it out on their own." While some things are just not appropriate to say to kids, I do believe that honesty gets you farther than shielding them from everything.

Trust me, I experimented plenty as a teen, and it was mostly because nobody talked to me about stuff - my parents were open but very naive (they were nerdy kids), so my friends became the teachers. And if you think those class speakers were scary, just imagine what a 16 year-old will tell your kid! Like, did you know that you can't get pregnant if you use the toilet right after sex, and that oral sex doesn't spread STDs? Those are just two common myths teens believe, and they're ones that can have dangerous consequences. It's nice to fantasize about teaching them abstinence, and to believe your kid knows better... but do you know how many "good kids" end up pregnant every year? Or even worse, they end up with diseases and/or addictions that can ruin their life.

Old 06-05-2007, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Btw, Greg never said he STILL does drugs, nor did he say that kids should. That's the problem, you (and many conservatives) can't realize the true message, because you'll tune out after hearing "dirty words" like sex & drugs.

Old 06-05-2007, 10:10 PM

2,096 posts, read 1,468,601 times
Any adult that encourages teens to have sex, experiment with sex, experiment with same sex, all the while encouraging drug use and how sex is better without condoms is a very sick individual with an agenda.

The wolves are in the henhouse. Send your kids to school with tape recorders.

Old 06-05-2007, 10:13 PM

Statement by Dr. George F. García, Superintendent:

April 10 2007 Colorado World Affairs Conference Panel at Boulder High School

BOULDER – “The Boulder Valley School District, while proud of our ongoing relationship with the University of Colorado’s annual Conference on World Affairs, does regret that attendance at the CWA panel, held in the Boulder High School auditorium on Tuesday, April 10, 2007, was required. This practice was never a part of the school’s protocol for the annual World Affairs Conference panel. It was a mistake on the part of the school and the district to require student attendance. Both the school principal and district administration have apologized for this error and it will not happen again. The district is reviewing, with school administrators, the complaint of a Boulder High School parent regarding both the content and staging of the panel.

“The opinions expressed by the panel members concerning teen sexual activity and drug use were their own and are not necessarily a reflection of the Boulder Valley School District, its Board of Education or the administration and faculty of Boulder High School. In fact, specific comments made that could be interpreted as advocating or even glamorizing sexual relations among teens as well as condoning the use of illegal drugs directly contradict district policy.

“The Boulder Valley School District supports the partnership between the Colorado World Affairs Conference and Boulder High School. High school administration is committed to valuing the rights of parents and students to individually and as a family determine whether to listen to the panel or participate in any discussion arising from it.”

Old 06-05-2007, 10:27 PM

I wrote Mr. Garcia to express my outrage that the school would allow anyone to encourage dangerous behaviors to OTHER PEOPLE'S CHILDREN, thus spitting in the face of the hard work and money that went in to encouraging condom use to hinder the spread of STDs.

I informed him that my family along with my brother and sister’s family (18 of us) all meet in Colorado for our winter vacations. We informed him that Colorado will never see our vacation dollars again.

I was surprised he wrote back in a couple of hours. Write him and tell him what you think of his lack of responsibility for he children in his care.

Old 06-06-2007, 07:34 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times
Gizmo- 980 – Thanks for noticing that I never said I still do drugs. I do not. (FWIW speed in combat is a survival drug but not nearly as potent as the natural response to fear). I also noted that kids, at least the kids I hung around with, learned about sex from each other and the amount incredibly wrong info presented by the kids and the parents was astounding.

I think that the most effective way of reducing the damage caused by sex or drugs is providing clear, simple, accurate and honest education. Most kids are, although still young, sensible enough to separate the real from the propaganda. Tell them what STD can do to you, how hard it is to be a single mom. Why always the moms? How about a teenage dad? Show how dangerous it is to have an abortion, disease or, for what its worth, a pregnancy. Women still die in childbirth.

Then there are drugs. Use the same method and tell the kids what drugs can do. Tell them the truth including the good and the bad. Tell them how the drugs operate on the brain and how compelling and dominating an addiction can be. Use the examples of the Hollywood royals brought low by addiction. I think the truth is way more frightening and effective than some adult saying, “Just say no!” The point of the exercise is to keep the problems associated with experimental sex and drug use down to an absolute minimum.

Parents should be teaching this but I doubt if that many know what to say. Maybe the best they could do is say, “don’t do what I did”.

Old 06-06-2007, 07:43 AM

82 posts, read 109,891 times
I'm not leaning left or right, rather somewhere in the middle like most of us. I also think Bill O'Reilly is a moron. However, what happened in Boulder is unacceptable!

Old 06-06-2007, 07:46 AM

7,784 posts, read 14,886,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Gizmo- 980 – Thanks for noticing that I never said I still do drugs. I do not. (FWIW speed in combat is a survival drug but not nearly as potent as the natural response to fear). I also noted that kids, at least the kids I hung around with, learned about sex from each other and the amount incredibly wrong info presented by the kids and the parents was astounding.

I think that the most effective way of reducing the damage caused by sex or drugs is providing clear, simple, accurate and honest education. Most kids are, although still young, sensible enough to separate the real from the propaganda. Tell them what STD can do to you, how hard it is to be a single mom. Why always the moms? How about a teenage dad? Show how dangerous it is to have an abortion, disease or, for what its worth, a pregnancy. Women still die in childbirth.

Then there are drugs. Use the same method and tell the kids what drugs can do. Tell them the truth including the good and the bad. Tell them how the drugs operate on the brain and how compelling and dominating an addiction can be. Use the examples of the Hollywood royals brought low by addiction. I think the truth is way more frightening and effective than some adult saying, “Just say no!” The point of the exercise is to keep the problems associated with experimental sex and drug use down to an absolute minimum.

Parents should be teaching this but I doubt if that many know what to say. Maybe the best they could do is say, “don’t do what I did”.
That sounds great. But it's not what happened in Boulder.

I believe one of the quotes was "If I had some ecstacy, maybe I'd do some with you."

Your post above, as a whole, I'm OK with.

But what happened in Boulder was more like:

"We know you're gonna have sex, so here's how do it"
"We know you're gonna use drugs, so here's how to use 'em"
etc

That's irresponsible. Maybe I need to see if the transcript from the entire session is available. But from the quotes I've read/heard, there's no justifying what happened there. Not for me and my kids, anyway.

Old 06-06-2007, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
That sounds great. But it's not what happened in Boulder.

I believe one of the quotes was "If I had some ecstacy, maybe I'd do some with you."

Your post above, as a whole, I'm OK with.

But what happened in Boulder was more like:

"We know you're gonna have sex, so here's how do it"
"We know you're gonna use drugs, so here's how to use 'em"
etc

That's irresponsible. Maybe I need to see if the transcript from the entire session is available. But from the quotes I've read/heard, there's no justifying what happened there. Not for me and my kids, anyway.
I think that sentence I put in bold is really the bottom line, at least for me (and others who don't judge so quickly)... without reading the transcript, seeing FULL video footage, or actually being there, how can we judge? Bill O and his buddies at Fox clipped a few sentences, completely out of context & without visual, so how do we know the full story? Maybe some of you are easily fooled, or just WANT to believe what they say, because it gives you something to complain about... but as for myself, I believe in getting the full story before jumping down anyone's throat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies