U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2010, 12:28 AM

409 posts, read 493,394 times

Advertisements

"Would you knowingly serve your family sulfa drugs, clenbuterol, penicillin, tetracycline, or drug resistant strains of bacteria for dinner? Of course not. Unfortunately, these and countless other substances have been found in veal calves.

The harsh conditions in veal factories result in severe calf diseases. By depriving veal calves of their mother's milk, fresh air, exercise, adequate nutrition, and proper veterinary care, veal factories are a breeding ground for stress and infectious diseases."

VEAL FACTS:
Chained in tiny crates, veal calves cannot walk, turn around, stretch their legs, or lie down in a natural position. To obtain the light colored meat sold as "milk-fed" veal, calves are deliberately kept anemic.

Veal calves are denied all solid food.
Veal calves suffer from chronic diarrhea.
Veal calves are kept in darkness.
Respiratory and intestinal diseases run rampant among veal calves.
Veal calves are deprived of drinking water.

HFA [ Campaigns ]

Last edited by Yes/no; 02-27-2010 at 01:23 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2010, 12:29 AM

8,640 posts, read 7,980,377 times
I don't eat veal.

Old 02-27-2010, 02:13 AM

1,685 posts, read 3,763,213 times
I don't believe you will get many responses as people are not ready to look at where a majority of the the meat really comes from and how it's accomplished.
When you talk about how most of the meat gets to peoples table; most people get defensive.
A majority of the slaughter is an ugly business and getting the most out of the animal has become a cruel science that the average citizen is not ready to look at or accept.
I'm with you even though I cannot afford veal. Perhaps in an attempt to educate people about what really goes on with the mass production of meat in industrialized countries.
My name is tyvin; I am a meat eater.

Old 02-27-2010, 03:05 AM

258 posts, read 391,244 times
I would never eat veal. I have a hard time just eating regular meat... chicken, turkey, a steak every now and then... I never eat the skin and can't bear it if a bone touches my teeth.

Old 02-27-2010, 08:43 AM

1,812 posts, read 3,284,130 times
I haven't eaten veal since 1976 since I first heard about the cruelty involved. But nothing ever changes, veal is still produced and sold and eaten by millions of people who don't want to know about anything but their own immediate desires.

Old 02-27-2010, 08:49 AM

7,728 posts, read 11,040,184 times
I don't eat veal, a conscious decision made back in the '70's.

Old 02-27-2010, 10:48 AM

5,129 posts, read 4,780,166 times
I don't eat veal never have.

Old 02-27-2010, 10:55 AM

25,107 posts, read 35,212,077 times
I love veal. And while it is not a major staple of our diet, we do very much enjoy Veal.

And, we will NOT boycott veal.

Old 02-27-2010, 11:03 AM

770 posts, read 750,981 times
Have no problem killing animals for our own pleasure and enjoyment, but the systemic abuse brought about largely from factory farming is indefensible. There is no reason these animals cannot be treated with dignity as living, breathing, intelligent creatures before being killed humanely.

Truly revolting stuff, even for a not-so-sentimental person like myself. Watching these "farmers" abuse animals in this way should remind us all that, most of the time, humans just go along with what everyone else thinks/does without hesitation.

Old 02-27-2010, 11:05 AM

44,924 posts, read 28,234,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
I love veal. And while it is not a major staple of our diet, we do very much enjoy Veal.

And, we will NOT boycott veal.
When I was stationed in Germany I was always very glad to get somewhere that they served veiner schnitzel after I found out what it was and not some kind of sausage. Their favorite was unborn veal and I had to agree with them other than thinking about it wasn't so hot. Of course, that tenderest kind of veal was "cleaner" than the other stuff, wasn't it? Kind of like aborting human babies, I always thought.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies