Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2010, 03:37 PM

4,399 posts, read 10,670,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrymiafl View Post
Better sacrifice an innocent's life than let 10 guilty as sin to get away with capital murder...
Would this statement hold up if that particular life was your child's or your wife's or some other member of your family?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2010, 04:39 PM

11,760 posts, read 14,652,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
The death penalty should be maintained for the most heinous crimes in which we are 100% certain of guilt. If I were on a jury, I would never give a death penalty to somebody unless I was 100% sure of guilt (no doubt). I could find them guilty if I were 90% sure (reasonable doubt).
There are people who deserve the death penalty. Another thing I would like to see is a return to public executions- preferably hangings- so it could serve as a deterrent.
If you're 90% sure that the defendant is guilty the state has failed to prove its case beyond a reasonable doubt.

Old 02-28-2010, 04:47 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,476,088 times
Quote:
Better sacrifice an innocent's life than let 10 guilty as sin to get away with capital murder...
I certainly hope you are on a Watch List somewhere.

Old 02-28-2010, 04:52 PM

4,500 posts, read 12,343,711 times
Quote:
I could not disagree with you more on this. How would you feel if you were on death row for something you didn't do? Would you rally think "Oh well, at least I'm dying for a greater good"?

I'd rather let 1000 murderers go free than wrongfully execute an innocent. Convicting people who are innocent to prison time is bad enough, but executing an innocent person completely undermines our judicial system. Laws and courts are there to protect us, not to take innocent lives, we know for a fact that it's not infallible, and because of that, we cannot, in my opinion, risk killing innocent people.

Old 03-01-2010, 07:23 AM

1,598 posts, read 1,936,535 times
If there was some way of guaranteeing that someone sentenced to LWOP would never, ever get out I would perhaps be in favor of abolishing the DP. Unfortunately, as soon as we would abolish the DP, the pro criminal groups would be after us to abolish LWOP.

Ending the country club like atmosphere in most prisons would go a long way in changing my mind also. Most prisoners live better than the average tax payer what with free cable, AC, college classes, library, free food, room and board, free health care, free legal representation ect.....

They should get three bland meals, a bed, a toilet and 8 hours of hard work a day with ZERO
privileges.

Old 03-01-2010, 11:44 AM

4,500 posts, read 12,343,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubyanumberone View Post
If there was some way of guaranteeing that someone sentenced to LWOP would never, ever get out I would perhaps be in favor of abolishing the DP. Unfortunately, as soon as we would abolish the DP, the pro criminal groups would be after us to abolish LWOP.

Ending the country club like atmosphere in most prisons would go a long way in changing my mind also. Most prisoners live better than the average tax payer what with free cable, AC, college classes, library, free food, room and board, free health care, free legal representation ect.....

They should get three bland meals, a bed, a toilet and 8 hours of hard work a day with ZERO
privileges.
I don't know about you, but any prison I've seen any footage from ain't a place I'd want to be.

And do you think three bland meals, a bed, a toilet and 8 hours of hard work with no privileges, inspire people to change? Do that, and anyone who don't serve LWOP, will commit a crime within hours of being released.

Angola (Louisiana State Pen) in it's current incarnation is probably one of the better examples of how a prison can be run.

Old 03-01-2010, 12:27 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,573,373 times
Quote:
Then sacrifice yourself. No problem, right?

Freakin insane.

Old 03-01-2010, 12:46 PM

12,481 posts, read 10,222,878 times
Quote:
Would you sacrifice yourself if you were wrongly convicted. Would you walk to the death chamber and give your life if you were innocent so we could execute 10 guilty ones?

Old 03-01-2010, 01:23 PM

1,933 posts, read 1,825,357 times
The DP should be abandoned in the USA.

Old 03-01-2010, 02:33 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,241,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet View Post
We have got things wrong in the past. I would hate tat we would execute an innocent man. Life without the possibility of parole would keep society safe. Everyday he would have to wake up in a 5x9 cell and know this was all he had for 50-60 years. And if we got it wrong it would be correctable
Even if I was innocent I'd rather be put to death before that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies