Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2010, 05:32 PM

584 posts, read 871,719 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
Yes, because the people of Virginia elected him. The Republican Party has always stood for the repeal of Social Security and Medicare.
Maybe I should move there. I live in NY self employed and pay over $3,000 a month in HC insurance for me, my wife and two kids and believe me i cant afforded that. I'm not looking for welfare just some help so i don't care who can help me Dems, Rep's "just help"! whether people agree or disagree with the Dems at least they have a plan I haven't heard much from Repubs. BTW I'm an Independent and proud of it!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2010, 05:39 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,326,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Equal-Opp. View Post
Maybe I should move there. I live in NY self employed and pay over $3,000 a month in HC insurance for me, my wife and two kids and believe me i cant afforded that. I'm not looking for welfare just some help so i don't care who can help me Dems, Rep's "just help"! whether people agree or disagree with the Dems at least they have a plan I haven't heard much from Repubs. BTW I'm an Independent and proud of it!!!!
Perhaps you should read up about the Republican solutions to the health care dilemma. They aren't as widely publicized since they don't have a majority in congress. Health Care - GOP Solutions for America - GOP.gov

Everyone knows our system is broken and needs reform. We just have differing opinions on how to fix it. That doesn't mean the republicans want to leave things status quo.

Old 02-28-2010, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
Perhaps you should read up about the Republican solutions to the health care dilemma. They aren't as widely publicized since they don't have a majority in congress. Health Care - GOP Solutions for America - GOP.gov

Everyone knows our system is broken and needs reform. We just have differing opinions on how to fix it. That doesn't mean the republicans want to leave things status quo.
Then maybe the republicans should start carrying around their bill and not the Dems 2600 page bill. At this point people need help not politics!!!! I'm just upset because my tax dollars pays for congress and their family HC but doesn't pay for mine!!

Old 02-28-2010, 06:18 PM

272 posts, read 295,640 times
Equal Opp,

My family is in the same boat. Agree with your second statement.
Republicans ideas 1. buy across state lines....how does it reduce skyrocketing 20% increases each year. buying across statelines just means buying a policy that offers less for less money.
2. allow individuals and small businesses to join pools to lower premiums. that is done now you can join the early child hood teachers group, or construction worker groups. The savings aren't that great and again does not stop skyrocketing 20% increases each year
3. give state tools to create innovated reforms to lower costs. State have been trying some better than others such as Mass.
4end junk law suits... studies shows it doesn't lower costs that much many states have tort reform . how many cases of junk law suits come up how many people waste their money paying a lawyer if they don't really have a case. Have lawyers only get paid if they win the case end of frivilous law suits.
where is the competition that will keep insurance companies in check to keep insurance rates from skyrocketing.
where is there any regulation on the insurance companies.
Agree with Equal Opp Americans don't care who comes up with the ideas we would rather they take good ideas from Republicans and from Dem. Seems like Obama is willing to do tort reform and buy across state lines isn't the exchanges about grouping even more people then by trade etc now the GOP should sign up with some of the Dem. ideas and get this thing done. Instead of just saying start over.

Last edited by canear; 02-28-2010 at 06:30 PM.. Reason: hit post by mistake

Old 02-28-2010, 06:27 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,787,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canear View Post
Equal Opp,

My family is in the same boat. Agree with your second statement.
Republicans ideas 1. buy across state lines.... reduce skyrocketing 20% increases each year. buying across statelines just means buying a policy that offers less for less money.
2. allow individuals and small businesses to join pools to lower premiums. that is done now you can join the early child hood teachers group, or construction worker groups. The savings aren't that great and again does not stop skyrocketing 20% increases each year
3. give state tools to create innovated reforms to lower costs. State have been trying some better than other such as Mass.
You're so right about that!!

I mean Republicans say they want their plan passed, they care about health care reform, etc. Why didn't they pass their bill when they had control of Congress? Why didn't they pass it using Reconciliation?

Just wondering.

IF they get a majority in Congress again, I seriously wonder if they're going to pass their little health care bill. Something tells me they aren't. They're just crying and whining because the Democrats look like they're trying to solve the problem and they know it will win them votes if their plan is looked upon favorably with the voters.

They know the issue is big because they said they want health care to be Obama's waterloo.

Old 02-28-2010, 06:56 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,476,088 times
Start Over is just a longer way of saying NO! Republicans don't necessarily want to see health care problems solved at all, and they definitely don't want to see them solved by Democrats. They will do anything to avoid that.

As for Eric Cantor, no. He certainly represents his cozy little district of upscale Richmond suburbs and middle-of-nowhere types. The district hasn't voted Democratic since 1968. Much of the state, including much near where he's from, would as soon have nothing to do with him. He's a bright, and sort of fresh-faced boy who got out of law school and went into the noble profession of real estate developer, where he connected with folks who were impressed enough to hand him a political career. Pretty much sums him up...

Old 02-28-2010, 07:20 PM

The problem I have with buying across state lines is most insurance plans have companies in just about every state, so how could they going to compete with themselves. EX:You can't have Wendy's in VA competing with Wendy's in DC, there's no competition, "It's still Wendy's"

Old 02-28-2010, 07:24 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,253,676 times
How'd that issuing credit cards across state lines thing work out for ya?

Old 02-28-2010, 07:52 PM

That's my point exactly! Don't forget about auto insurance they give you a price on where you live not where they company is. Health insurance co will do the same thing. If people in this country like choices and i do then a pubic option is the best thing. The gov. tells us we have to have liability ins for our cars but they don't tell us what ins company to use!

Old 02-28-2010, 07:53 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,476,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Equal-Opp. View Post
The problem I have with buying across state lines is most insurance plans have companies in just about every state, so how could they going to compete with themselves. EX:You can't have Wendy's in VA competing with Wendy's in DC, there's no competition, "It's still Wendy's"
Think of it this way. VA has a law that requires all burgers sold there to include a beef patty, and that all customers have the choice of adding lettuce, tomato, onions, pickles, ketchup, mustard, or mayonnaise. In DC, they don't have such a law. There you get pretty much just a bun with something in it, but who knows exactly what. Now you let burger shops sell across state lines. Guess what happens. No more Wendy's of VA. It's all Wendy's of DC wherever you go. Think free-market competition will come to the rescue? Oops...burger shops have an antitrust exemption...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies