Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 06:04 PM

89,009 posts, read 44,813,405 times

Advertisements

Can we call it a recovery now? No, we can't.

Economic Reality Check - The Fed's own Charts:
Nathan's Economic Edge: Economic Reality Check…
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2010, 06:32 PM

302 posts, read 580,361 times
Quote:
Can we call it a Recovery now?

I'll let you know when my husband is working again....

Old 03-01-2010, 08:13 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,328,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
That is not what i asked. It was 0bama and the democratic party leadership that wanted to pass cap & trade lst year, and many still want to get it passed this year.

So do you think it would would be good for the economy, jobs, and the recovery to sign both cap & trade and the senate version health care plan into law now? While we are at it, would it be a good idea for the EPA to start regulating CO2 now?
I've not yet made up my mind on the issue.

Ken

Old 03-01-2010, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
The recovery is over, you missed it. Obama and friends are now just hoping for an economy that flounders but doesn't tank too badly. That's if the unemployment figures don't keep getting too bad. Winter has suddenly become a factor in unemployment, or haven't you heard?
Exceptional weather ALWAYS has an impact on employment - whether that exceptional weather be a particularly harsh winter or a particularly distructive hurricane.

It's not that hard to understand.

Ken

Old 03-01-2010, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Can we call it a recovery now? No, we can't.

Economic Reality Check - The Fed's own Charts:
Gee, we've had a recession and you're surprised tax receipts are down?

Get a clue - there is ALWAYS an increasing spread between government income and government outlay during ANY recession - ANY. That's the way it ALWAYS works, even in MILD recessions - let alone ones as SEVERE as we are just emerging from.
As the economy recovers government income will rise - once again as it ALWAYS does in ANY recovery.

Ken

Old 03-01-2010, 08:32 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
For the first time since the Great Depression people are taking more government aid than they pay in taxes.

American reliance on government at all-time high - Washington Times

snippet:
"While wages and other job-related income fell by a record $206 billion last year to $7.84 trillion, transfer payments from the government such as unemployment checks and Social Security burgeoned by $231 billion to $2.1 trillion.

Meanwhile, the amount of taxes that individual Americans paid plummeted by $325 billion to $2.1 trillion as a result of middle-class tax cuts and because nearly 6 million people were thrown out of work and are no longer paying payroll taxes."

Old 03-01-2010, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
For the first time since the Great Depression people are taking more government aid than they pay in taxes.

American reliance on government at all-time high - Washington Times

snippet:
"While wages and other job-related income fell by a record $206 billion last year to $7.84 trillion, transfer payments from the government such as unemployment checks and Social Security burgeoned by $231 billion to $2.1 trillion.

Meanwhile, the amount of taxes that individual Americans paid plummeted by $325 billion to $2.1 trillion as a result of middle-class tax cuts and because nearly 6 million people were thrown out of work and are no longer paying payroll taxes."
None of that surprises me at all. It's been an horrendous recession - worst I've seen in my lifetime (and I'm an old fart). As the following quote points out, it would have been a WHOLE lot worse without the government stepping in:

"Governmental support was critical in keeping the economy, particularly consumer spending, from completely collapsing during the crisis"

I also agree with the author that it's unsustainable - of course it's not meant to be a permanent situation, just a stopgap to speed the recovery along.

Ken

Old 03-01-2010, 09:20 PM

89,009 posts, read 44,813,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Gee, we've had a recession and you're surprised tax receipts are down?
Look at the other Fed charts, too. Not a pretty picture...

Old 03-01-2010, 09:21 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
"Governmental support was critical in keeping the economy, particularly consumer spending, from completely collapsing during the crisis"

Ken
I wouldn't use past tense just yet..government support IS still needed today and probably for quite some time into the future. The jobs won't materialize overnight and will probably take twice as long to come back as they left.

Old 03-01-2010, 09:32 PM

7,085 posts, read 12,054,512 times
LoL, people will keep saying "Don't worry, it will go to hell real quickly...just you trust me".

Some people have been saying it since 1984, so why would reality stop them now?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies