Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2011, 03:12 PM

52,678 posts, read 47,928,690 times

Advertisements

Besides the smooth, resonant voices that NPR does possess (and the only reason for me to tune in), I don't see them as being any different ideologically and philosophically from the news outlets at ABC, NBC, or CBS. Sad, but very true.

That will have been a big waste of time after Barry loses next year.

Old 10-25-2011, 06:01 PM

218 posts, read 207,339 times
Ha! Get the news from NPR? I suppose you also support the Media Matters tax exempt organization to name one of the many left wing George Soros funded organization. Oh, yes, good old George give a rather larger donation to NPR (tax exempt charitable too, ouch). None of these organization should have non-profit status, forget about direct funding from the tax debt.

But our lovely leaders in Washington give foreigh aid China. Of course you NPR addicts many not know such non-partisan facts like this. Heck, you probably didn't hear about Rev Wright until Fox News forced it and the rest of the left-wing broadcast (and print, e.g., New York Times) media to at least make note of it. Investigate it? H-ll no, that might shine the light of truth into the darker side of our current "leader". Let Fox News and a few other open/balanced news organization investigate.

Old 12-17-2011, 10:16 AM

218 posts, read 207,339 times
Hum got something on email that isn't yet visible on my look at the site, so my post refers to a post that I assume will be here before mine is. Mine post refers directly to the subject post, so it requires reading the other (junk) first.

Well interesting argument, but what else could I expect from someone who: "I listen to NPR (90.9 WBUR) all day almost every day while I work." leaves me wondering how intellectually challenging your work is, not much it seems.

If you think intellectual = liberal = democrat, I'll say the intellectual-only, academics and wannabees, generally fit this definition. However, if we examine intellectuals who work hard all day applying the intellectual capacity to earning money and creating wealth, then I'd have to say intellectuals = republicans. These people don't have the time to listen every day, all day to the drivel that spews out of NPR, they go to the web and Fox News for crisp full news reporting, not jus Obama fan club reporting .

Old 12-17-2011, 10:22 AM

1,438 posts, read 1,145,590 times
NPR and left-wing kind of go hand in hand. They fired Juan Williams for not being liberal enough, and he's pretty liberal.

Old 04-20-2015, 08:18 AM

19 posts, read 30,017 times
Well... I was a republican for 20+ years. I listened to NPR then, I listen to it now. Upon leaving the construction industry (after 20 years as well) and finishing my degree, I actually went into public radio. My opinion: public radio/NPR is the best news source we have in this country. I was in the army for a number of years and served in Southwest Asia during Operation: Desert Storm. I desperately missed accurate news while deployed. I got to know several members of the Royal Air Force (Great Britain) while I was briefly in Saudi Arabia and through them, I was able to listen to the BBC; the 'Beeb' was instrumental in keeping me informed. National Public Radio is the closest thing to The BBC we have in America.

One afternoon while the station I worked at was having a pledge drive, I started talking to a volunteer who was sitting next to me in the conference room where the pledge drive was set-up. I learned that he was a retired FBI field agent who now worked as a private investigator. After learning of his background,
I said:
Me: "Do you mind if I ask your political affiliation?"
Him: “I’m a Republican.”
Me: “Do your friends give you a hard time for supporting ‘National Pinko
Radio?”
Him: “Some do, but NPR is the least biased news you can get, most of the
people I know in government get their news from NPR, a lot of
personnel in the bureau do, as well.

It is my experience that those who identify NPR as left-leaning are more likely to have heard that from another source than to have arrived at that conclusion on their own from a personal experience of listening. The republicans I know who listen to NPR don’t tend to think that –not all the time, anyway.

The reporters I worked with -both liberal-leaning and conservative-leaning, all did their stories without bias. There was an effort to ensure stories were done as objectively as possible.

When I was in the army, and on more than one occasion, I had supervisors attempt to direct myself and others on how to vote from a political party standpoint. Which is a violation of UCMJ (Uniform Code of Military Justice).

"I don't believe any tax dollars should go to programming that is involved with political dialogue of any kind."
-American_Libertarian.
(Between 7-11% of NPR funding comes from federal revenue -CPB)

I agree, and it happened in the military. And, if I may expand on American _Libertarian’s comment, I don’t think we should spend the vast amounts of tax dollars on defense spending that we do. The United States spends more than any other country on defense and more than the next 16 countries combined, and most of them are our allies.

Old 04-20-2015, 08:29 AM

30,348 posts, read 19,122,995 times
NPR is very left wing beased and funded accordingly by the Dems. I still like some of their programming, I just realize many of their stories are done for the purpose of pushing forward a left wing agenda.

Old 04-20-2015, 08:31 AM

19 posts, read 30,017 times
Default And the world is flat.

And the world is flat. You will fall off if you go near the edge.

Were you to perhaps... I don't know, 'listen,' you would learn that it is largely funded by member donations and grants with evil tax dollars comprising 7-11% of funding. A veritable drop in the bucket compared to what U.S. taxpayers have spent on the F-35 Boondoggle...

Old 04-20-2015, 09:26 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,726,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by photoglyph View Post
It is my experience that those who identify NPR as left-leaning are more likely to have heard that from another source than to have arrived at that conclusion on their own from a personal experience of listening. The republicans I know who listen to NPR don’t tend to think that –not all the time, anyway.
I'm not a Republican and listen to NPR from time to time. They are very biased. Spend a little time analyzing who they interview and what topics they address and you will see their bias. Bias does not mean they are telling lies. But they frequently present only the liberal side of a story and they focus much more on liberal issues than conservative issues.

Quote:
The reporters I worked with -both liberal-leaning and conservative-leaning, all did their stories without bias. There was an effort to ensure stories were done as objectively as possible.
I don't think this is possible. The simple act of CHOOSING what to report on reflects one's bias.

Quote:
"I don't believe any tax dollars should go to programming that is involved with political dialogue of any kind."
-American_Libertarian.
(Between 7-11% of NPR funding comes from federal revenue -CPB)
Funding arts and entertainment is not a valid government function. One dollar of funding is too much and I don't care if it's left leaning or right leaning.

Old 04-20-2015, 09:31 AM

39,186 posts, read 27,570,476 times
TRUE STORY

I have a friend who set up a dating profile on match.com and he met a decent woman there. One day, he called me up and told me he would NEVER try OLD again. The woman dumped him because he did not know what NPR was.

My friend is an independent, he is just not very into politics.

Old 04-20-2015, 06:25 PM

8,326 posts, read 6,417,109 times
PBS TV is extremely left too. When Bush was president they had a program named Frontline. 1hour long program after program against Bush and Republicans. No Frontline at all after Obama and the Communist party got in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.