Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 09:10 AM

90,316 posts, read 120,475,124 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
NPR can take a show about gardening, and insert their own liberal ideology and politics into it

Of course a show about music or another one with a guest veterinarian answering questions about pets, will not have a political viewpoint to them.

Here is why I see NPR as solidly left:

1) ninety percent of all the callers are libs

2) many of the hosts are libs

3) and many of the guests are libs. The generic guests who are supposedly unbiased, come from liberal organizations like the LA Times, New York Times, Washington Post, Boston Globe etc...

The most common phrase uttered on NPR is "Oh, I agree" where the host, guests and callers are all agreeing with each other's liberal views on the issues.

Just listen to NPR closely, the next time a topic is about political or social issues, and see how often the host challenges the assertions made by callers from the left and right. They always let the left make declarative statements and relate their facts without bothering to ask where they got them from, or ask them to offer some justification, but they always challenge the folks on the right to justify or clarify their assertions or facts.

Even the shows about specific topics, have lately decided the debate is over and the topic focuses only on the liberal viewpoint. for example, they no longer have shows discussing both sides of the man made global warming issue, they consider the debate over, and the shows just assume mankind is causing global warming, CO2 is the cause, the planet is in peril, and the conversation starts from there.

I remember a show about green energy and global warming, and midway thru the show a person called in dared to offer a challenge to the theory, by simply saying that maybe humans were not causing global warming. you could tell by the conciliatory tone in guy's voice, and the way he presented his question, that he knew he was going into the lion's den. He no more then got his question out of his mouth and both the guest and the host simultaneously jumped all over him, demanding he justify his outrageous views, and then the callers dumped all over him for the remainder of the show.
The posters on their website are not all "libs", not by a long shot.

Old 08-25-2010, 09:16 AM

37,953 posts, read 22,057,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
The posters on their website are not all "libs", not by a long shot.
NPR is not a website forum discussion, its a radio program.

I don't see what a forum section of a website has to do with anything I said.

Old 08-25-2010, 09:27 AM

90,316 posts, read 120,475,124 times
NPR : National Public Radio : News & Analysis, World, US, Music & Arts : NPR

You can listen to the stories, read transcripts of the stories, and comment on them.

Old 08-25-2010, 09:36 AM

37,953 posts, read 22,057,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
NPR : National Public Radio : News & Analysis, World, US, Music & Arts : NPR

You can listen to the stories, read transcripts of the stories, and comment on them.
Yes, I know. I do a lot of driving in my line of work, and i listen to NPR fairly regularly. when the topic is art, pets, medicine and music, they don't insert their ideology or politics. But when it does come to politics, and certain topics, then many of the hosts do show their liberal bias, and yes, 90% of their callers are libs, and unless the callers are real kooks, the hosts always agree with them. <group hug>

Old 08-25-2010, 09:46 AM

52,544 posts, read 34,259,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
I guess you didn't know that Fox employs one of NPR's people. Juan Williams who is used as a liberal foil for Bill Kristol on Fox News Sunday and also appears on all kinds of shows on Fox News. If Juan isn't just a little bit liberal I think I have failed to understand what he is doing on Sunday morning.
mara liasson [sp?] from NPR is on there a lot as well.

as long as they feature crazed leftist loons like amy goodman, they'll be seen as left wing biased. i still listen to their other shows like all things considered, since they are usually more in-depth than what you'd hear from other sources.
plus i despise the endless commercials on talk radio.

Old 08-25-2010, 09:55 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,605,651 times
Quote:
Yes, I know. I do a lot of driving in my line of work, and i listen to NPR fairly regularly. when the topic is art, pets, medicine and music, they don't insert their ideology or politics. But when it does come to politics, and certain topics, then many of the hosts do show their liberal bias, and yes, 90% of their callers are libs, and unless the callers are real kooks, the hosts always agree with them. <group hug>
Considering they receive gov't money....politics is one of the main areas they should NOT be showing any bias, imho.

Old 09-19-2010, 11:13 PM

7,138 posts, read 14,615,867 times
Quote:

Sometimes a kumbaya moment is nice. Especially when driving a long, lonely road at night.

Old 09-19-2010, 11:15 PM

2,347 posts, read 2,778,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 525600minutes View Post
I don't get this. I love NPR, but many of my conservative friends think that it is left biased. I am not naive enough to believe that media is always straight down the middle, but I don't find NPR being that partial. Heck, they are funded by the Cato Institute, which is a pro-capitalist, libertarian institution.

There news features seem pretty open to all interpretations, and how can their artistic programming (jazz programming, Thistle and Shamrock, etc.) even be considered political at all? Any thoughts?
NPR uses deception like facts and real journalism and unbias to deliver news to it's audience.

Such things elude the right wing mind.

Old 09-19-2010, 11:24 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,624,812 times
NPR is actually quite average in its bias, according to one UCLA study:

Quote:
"By our estimate, NPR hardly differs from the average mainstream news outlet," Groseclose said. "Its score is approximately equal to those of Time, Newsweek and U.S. News & World Report and its score is slightly more conservative than The Washington Post's."
Media Bias Is Real, Finds UCLA Political Scientist / UCLA Newsroom

There's a segment of conservatives, however, that assume anything associated with government funding is ultra-left-wing. Of course, they don't like most private media outlets, either. They've essentially burrowed themselves into a corner by convincing themselves that Fox News is the only major news source that's acceptable.

Old 09-20-2010, 04:03 AM

783 posts, read 813,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
NPR is actually quite average in its bias, according to one UCLA study:

Media Bias Is Real, Finds UCLA Political Scientist / UCLA Newsroom

There's a segment of conservatives, however, that assume anything associated with government funding is ultra-left-wing. Of course, they don't like most private media outlets, either. They've essentially burrowed themselves into a corner by convincing themselves that Fox News is the only major news source that's acceptable.
I agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.