Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 07:52 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,261,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clockworking View Post
And what does Glenn Beck think about Rush's idea? lol
Since you don't know, let me tell you that Rush is a Republican and Beck says that he is not one of those. What makes you think that Beck really worries about what Limbaugh said?

Speaking of Beck, I didn't get to see most of today but he was handing out a very necessary history lesson so I will see all that I missed today because he had a man on who talked about the Communists that served in FDR's administration and how much they were like those in the White House today. I think that the man may have been black. That tells me that not all blacks are willing to go along with Obama.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2010, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
My feeling, they push this through and I beleive the Republicans will take over one of the houses this year. I didn't think Republicans stood a chance 6 months ago, now I see it differently..The people do not want this plan, cut and dry!!!!!!

Nita
I think that the Demoncrats really believe that they can push this through and not have to worry about the Republicans repealing it in 2011. Even if they get both houses they will chicken out because at least half of our people, that half that doesn't pay taxes but will be very happy to have this, will be against repealing it.

My Aussie friend told me many months ago that if this is ever put into effect there will never be enough support for repeal to get rid of it. I fear he was very right. Yes, we need to stop it now because I don't think that the Republican leadership will have enough guts to repeal it.

Old 03-02-2010, 07:58 PM

2,842 posts, read 2,328,064 times
Just curious... when is it going to be time for a "brain check" for republicans?

Old 03-02-2010, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneSentinel View Post
I'm against that, Roys. Once it goes thru, it will never come out. I think you give too much credit to the power of those who believe in Capitalism. It is harder to make a change in the law that it is to stop a change in the law - and this one is a BIG change.
I am trying to say that although a majority of people don't want this kind of law the Republicans won't have enough guts and arrogance to throw it away when the time comes. I think the Dems realize that once we have it we will be stuck with it and the Republicans won't ever make a move to get rid of it.

Now it should happen since THEY want us to pay money in to do it for four years before anyone gets anything out of it. If we have to wait that long, by law, then surely they can get enough support from the people to kill this thing.

It is surely not capitalists I am wanting to get rid of it but I am not sure we have enough non-progressives in the Republican Party to ever seriously deal with the whole thing.

Old 03-02-2010, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtinChicago View Post
Repealing it will require 60 votes which even if the Republicans score huge victories in November will fall short of achieving.

Passage of it must be fought and Senators who might possibly vote for reconciliation (51 votes) must be inundated with calls and protests now!

Right now if the Republicans hold fast, democRats have a 59 vote majority.
At least 10 DemocRat Senators need to be persuaded to vote against this bill. That's the only way you are going to stop this atrocity!
Reid, Lincoln, Nelson, Bayh won't be here for the next Senate. Reid will vote for it, can Lincoln, Nelson and Bayh be persuaded to not support this subtrefuge?
That still leaves at least 56.
Are you saying that public option and abortion will not be included in the final bill? There are plenty of Senators who don't want one or the other of these things.

If reconciliation can be used to pass this abortion then why can't it be used to repeal it? I say that it can't be used because there won't be 51 Republicans with the guts to deal with it. That is because there are too many progressives in the Republican party who won't go all the way. For example, they ran a progressive in 2008 for President and we all called him just a RINO when in fact he is a progressive.

The Dems have to pass that garbage through the House and that may be tough since they came so close to failing the first time around. Too many Dems know they will probably not be re-elected in the House if they vote for this.

Old 03-02-2010, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.Funk View Post
roysoldboy !!! ... You Are As Right As Rain On This One !

It's definitely in the air ! ... you can sense it ! ... or as they say : "You Can See It Coming ! The American People are beginning to take much more than just a casual notice of the unbelievably pathetic "Political Circus" in Washington D.C.

The concerted voice and resolute actions of the American People for dynamic change may become a reality much quicker that any of us could have ever believed !

Don't ever count the American People out ! Our ancestors enemies made that fatal mistake so long ago and they paid a terrible price for their acute ignorance !

Thank You / Lamar
What I am talking about is that these people really think they can ram it through and surely nothing can be done in 2011 to repeal it, even if the Repubs take over both houses. They are so arrogant that they really think they can get through all this without being repealed, themselves. I don't think the people will side with them but really wonder if the Republicans will really go against it even when they take over. They really think that the people will accept this and allow them to continue ramming and jamming. I wonder if there are enough Republicans who are not progressives that they will continue to fight. I fear there aren't.

If the people hate what the Republicans refuse to do can they find a way to force the changes we need?

Old 03-02-2010, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spot View Post
Just curious... when is it going to be time for a "brain check" for republicans?
How about the week after the same procedure takes place on the Democrats in Congress? Would that be soon enough?

Old 03-02-2010, 08:45 PM

512 posts, read 861,720 times
Roy, I hope you're right.

I think what it's going to take is an active generation. By that I mean voters who take an active role in ensuring our politicians do what we elect them to do. If they don't in their first term, vote them out.

I can't tell you how many times in the past decade or so I've heard people compain about the state of our government, only to not even vote because they feel their vote doesn't count. They now have hope with the grass roots movements going on. Now I hear people talking about wanting scrappy politicians who'll fight, rather than handsome ones who say all the right things. And the scrappy ones are coming out in droves because the people are finally getting involved. It's a snowball effect.

But the most important thing is for every citizen to understand politics isn't just water cooler conversation (or in this instance, forum room conversation ). It's a committment to our lives and freedoms and our children's future. It's not something to complain about. It something to get involved in.

We don't have to hate the other side, and name-calling doesn't do much good. We simply stick to our values and never waver.

Does anyone else feel like yelling "Wolverine!"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies