Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 11:21 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,032,019 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc99 View Post
Oh boy, lets go over this for the umpteenth time. Does the Tylenol cost 100 dollars? No, it doesn't. However you have to pay the Pharamcist to check the Tylenol, make sure it really is a Tylenol and make sure that the patient isn't already on a drug that may have Tylenol in it. That's at least (in NYS) 100k.

Then you have to pay for the lights, and computers and fax machines and everything else that makes the Pharmacy run.

Then you have to pay the nurse to double check the Tylenol, sign off on the orders then walk it down to your room with a little cup of water. Thats at least (in NYS) around 70-80K.

Then while putting the Tylenol into your mouth you drop it. Cha-ching.

Then you have the Hospital who has to make up for money LOSING dept's like the ED who hemorrhage money for reasons that we won't go into here.

So, that's why your Tylenol costs 100 bucks.

Now let me get this right.

The local drug store where I get my Tylenol for $7.99, doesn't have lights, computers, fax machines or a pharmacist? Or is the extra cost for Tylenol due to the fact that I can't walk over to the hospital gift shop and pick up a bottle off the shelf?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2010, 11:21 AM

4,049 posts, read 5,029,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
No, a Tylenol pill does not cost you $140 at that hospital.

A Tylenol pill, plus the charges for the unemployed mother who keeps going there to have her babies, plus the charges for the illegal aliens who go there for everything, all of which is mandated by the Federal govt, but none of which is paid for by the Fed govt, costs you $140 at that hospital.

You whiny leftists who keep insisting health care is a "right", now do you understand?
Then why does the bill say the charge was for the Tylenol?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdne View Post
......pay cash.
So, you think everyone should abandon insurance?

Old 03-02-2010, 11:26 AM

418 posts, read 487,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna7 View Post
I think that you are oversimplifying when you blame the illegal aliens for all of our country's health system woes. I think that's an easy cop-out, HOWEVER, I don't blame you for your view considering that it's something that's put out there every day by the political pundits. I'm sure that there are many who think like that.

And your whole "I expected nothing less" is really not helping because in reality, every one of us is going to require a trip to the ER, or perhaps be stuck with a debilitating illness or who knows what, and it has nothing with the "whiney left" or anything else.

We have a real problem in our country that's not being addressed at all because there are those who thrive and profit (namely the insurance companies) because they have figured out how to keep us dazed and confused while they run amok. They have us blaming each other instead of blaming them. I think they are out for a HUGE profit, not a normal profit, but a HUGE profit at the expense of the lives and health of those they purport to protect.

They are about CEO super-bonuses and mega-profits at the expense of companies who can no longer afford to cover their employees and small business owners who cannot afford to cover themselves, much less their employees. We can go on blaming the other guy, the other party, but in the end, we all suffer when we cannot afford to pay our hospital/doctor bills because they are just so out-of-control. People are getting their houses foreclosed on due to judgments. Hospitals, etc. are getting judgments against people's paltry bank accounts and other assets. Hospitals are putting liens put on anything they can get their hands on. Wages are being garnished.

Seriously, for such a "rich" country, we are really going to h*ll in a henbasket.
I think BOTH of you are over simplifying. If your assessment were true, then why are hospitals cheaper to operate in Mexico? For instance this one is private and receives no government aid, do you think that "billionaire Carlos Slim" is any less greedy?

Mexico Builds Hospitals to Lure Medical Tourists From America
March 27 (Bloomberg) -- The only way Bridget Flanagan, a 21-year-old college student from Olympia, Washington, could afford the obesity surgery she needed was to go to Mexico. Her health insurance didn't cover the treatment.

Traveling 2,000 miles for gastric banding surgery at Hospital San Jose in Monterrey, Mexico, saved her $6,600, making it affordable. The procedure was a success, allowing five-foot- tall Bridget to drop 45 pounds so far off her peak weight of 275.

Health-care companies and investors see a new market in patients like Flanagan. Tecnologico de Monterrey, the private university that owns San Jose Hospital, plans a $100 million medical center in Monterrey. Grupo Star Medica, the builder of seven Mexican centers in five years, is accelerating an expansion aimed at Americans, funded partly by billionaire Carlos Slim.

Old 03-02-2010, 11:30 AM

1,224 posts, read 1,286,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicIsYourFriend View Post
I'm saying,....the purchase of insurance is a CHOICE. If you don't like insurance companies then DO NOT BUY THEIR PRODUCTS. No one is holding a gun on you. If you think you're getting screwed, then why are you buying the product?

Old 03-02-2010, 11:31 AM

418 posts, read 487,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicIsYourFriend View Post
Sounds like a good idea to me. People wouldn't be able to bid up the price and would be a little more picky about who they go to. Kind of like LASIK eye surgery. Which ironically gets cheaper and cheaper as time goes on, despite not being covered by insurance.

Old 03-02-2010, 11:33 AM

1,700 posts, read 3,423,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Now let me get this right.

The local drug store where I get my Tylenol for $7.99, doesn't have lights, computers, fax machines or a pharmacist? Or is the extra cost for Tylenol due to the fact that I can't walk over to the hospital gift shop and pick up a bottle off the shelf?
Does your CVS have a nurse that hands you the pill? No.

Does your CVS have a dept that loses money without mercy? No. If it did your CVS has the option of closing that dept or no longer offering that service. The hospital does not enjoy such luxuries.

Also you CAN just walk into your CVS and pick up what ever you want from the OTC section. In the hospital you can't. Any drug you ingest even if you bring it from home has to be OK'd by the Pharmacist. Period. Which requires many Pharmacists. CVS has no such policy.

Old 03-02-2010, 11:34 AM

58,958 posts, read 27,267,735 times
I thought the dems cared about the little man. Where is congressional oversight?

Old 03-02-2010, 11:36 AM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,617,651 times
I had chapped lips from a fever and the nurse asked me if I wanted lip balm. I said sure. I never received the balm, but there was a $50 charge on my hospital bill when it came.

Hospitals needs someone to keep a watch on them, but there needs to be some changes about who gets to use the emergency room, etc. I don't know how that is possible though, since just a headache can turn out to be a stroke.

Wouldn't it be nice if everyone in the United States instantly became honest.

Old 03-02-2010, 11:38 AM

7,545 posts, read 8,323,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna7 View Post
I think that you are oversimplifying when you blame the illegal aliens for all of our country's health system woes. I think that's an easy cop-out, HOWEVER, I don't blame you for your view considering that it's something that's put out there every day by the political pundits. I'm sure that there are many who think like that.

And your whole "I expected nothing less" is really not helping because in reality, every one of us is going to require a trip to the ER, or perhaps be stuck with a debilitating illness or who knows what, and it has nothing with the "whiney left" or anything else.

We have a real problem in our country that's not being addressed at all because there are those who thrive and profit (namely the insurance companies) because they have figured out how to keep us dazed and confused while they run amok. They have us blaming each other instead of blaming them. I think they are out for a HUGE profit, not a normal profit, but a HUGE profit at the expense of the lives and health of those they purport to protect.

They are about CEO super-bonuses and mega-profits at the expense of companies who can no longer afford to cover their employees and small business owners who cannot afford to cover themselves, much less their employees. We can go on blaming the other guy, the other party, but in the end, we all suffer when we cannot afford to pay our hospital/doctor bills because they are just so out-of-control. People are getting their houses foreclosed on due to judgments. Hospitals, etc. are getting judgments against people's paltry bank accounts and other assets. Hospitals are putting liens put on anything they can get their hands on. Wages are being garnished.

Seriously, for such a "rich" country, we are really going to h*ll in a henbasket.
You just might be surprised at the results of doing a google search on health insurance profit margins. Try it.

Old 03-02-2010, 11:41 AM

4,049 posts, read 5,029,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdne View Post
I'm saying,....the purchase of insurance is a CHOICE. If you don't like insurance companies then DO NOT BUY THEIR PRODUCTS. No one is holding a gun on you. If you think you're getting screwed, then why are you buying the product?
It's not a choice for those who have to pay for it through their employer whether they want it or not. If I didn't have that issue, and if I didn't need insurance for a potential catastrophic event that I would never be able to pay cash for, then I wouldn't have insurance either. I'm not against the idea of abandoning insurance but the system doesn't really allow for that currently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
You just might be surprised at the results of doing a google search on health insurance profit margins. Try it.
Tens of billions of dollars in profit a year is what I see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies