Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2014, 07:17 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,558,278 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
I would not think that restrictions on home schooling in other countries is high on the list of asylum with everything going on in the world today. Killing girls for seeking an education and home schooling is the focus, I don't think so.
Exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
The news this morning is that the German family is being deported. Obama opposed their asylum request.
I would rather give asylum to children who are being killed for seeking an education.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2014, 09:34 AM

4,738 posts, read 4,433,082 times
The US our motto "we need more people who think science was fabricated by the devil"

Old 03-04-2014, 09:37 AM

4,738 posts, read 4,433,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bpurrfect View Post
here's just one for ya- not college but news media-- took me all of 20 seconds to find it at the top of GOOGLE SEARCH (ever hear of that)? how's about some stats from the US Dept of Ed????

HOME-SCHOOLING: Outstanding results on national tests - Washington Times

In my opinion, there are two main factors for these outstanding results: the educational environment where learning takes place, and the individualized, one-on-one instruction

Read more: HOME-SCHOOLING: Outstanding results on national tests - Washington Times
Follow us: @washtimes on Twitter

Bad math. Here is another reason - the people who home school are within the social economic status that allows them to home school (someone to stay at home) and thus will, through self selection, perform better

the only way to compare home school grades is to compare grades of people within the same social economic background with the same parental background. We have proof that having a library in your home (books) will increase your kids chance of going to college

- even if no one ever uses it

Correlation is not causation

do they not teach that in homeschool?

Old 03-04-2014, 09:56 AM

15,754 posts, read 7,589,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I feel sorry for the childern. I wonder if the couple has already bought the plumbing parts to instill discipline. I do not trust homeschooling to provide a balanced education needed for success in today's environment.
Yes, how in the world will they learn how to handle a bully if they have never been exposed to one?

Old 03-04-2014, 10:10 AM

259 posts, read 151,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie679 View Post
Why did our government get involved with a German civil matter?

That's a good question! What's next? Political asylums for French gun owners?

Old 03-04-2014, 10:13 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,674,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
The US our motto "we need more people who think science was fabricated by the devil"
Democrat motto "you don't need no stinking education, everyone should be guaranteed a livable wage."

Old 03-04-2014, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
The UK proved its inability for tolerance by prohibiting Dr. Savage from entering the country. I think that's perfectly relevant to the UK's tolerance towards those who would would not tow the German government's requirements. Given that the UK also disarmed people and has enacted strict penalties for just about any form of non-gun self-defense, I would say that the UK is a VERY unfriendly country.
But it's much safer than the us, isn't it? Compare murder rates or violent crime rates and you'll have your answers...

Old 03-04-2014, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Actually, you helped me make my own case. Gun control is absolute in the UK. VERY intolerant country.
So gun control makes a country intolerant? That's your criteria? That's beyond absurd.

Quote:
The fact that the majority like or don't like it is irrelevant as its a fundamental property right..
And who ever said that guns ownership is a fundamental property right?

Old 03-04-2014, 10:21 AM

12,711 posts, read 13,474,594 times
Good for them. Evangelical types aren't my cup of tea, to put it mildly, but the world needs to be a free place for them, within their own private sphere of life and conscience, as well as for everyone else.

Old 03-04-2014, 10:26 AM

Quote:
How a country deals with the minority belief says a lot about them. True, America is not very accommodating for allowing gays to form civil unions. But, America as a republic MOSTLY represents the minority.
You don't even realize how Kafkaesque is your comment here. Of course America as every other republic and every democracy represents the majority and not minority. That's why we have Christian holidays in the calendar and that's why polygamy is illegal even though many minorities would like to see these laws repelled.

Quote:
Pure democracy basically demonizes the minority as "loony malcontents" whose opinions or actions are not welcomed. This is what happened in the UK with the citizen mob wanting to ban guns. It happened literally overnight and they showed what they really think about those "miserable malcontents"
This "citizen mob" as you call them are tax paying citizens of UK who have the right to live in a safe country with a murder rate well below the American one. That's why guns are mostly banned in the UK
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies