Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 07:28 AM

5,238 posts, read 8,793,158 times

Advertisements

Maddow:"[Hatch's op-ed] has so many blantant, out-right falsehoods in it that It made me wonder if maybe there's a deal or something. Where if maybe you're a United States Senator who's been in office for 33 years like Orrin Hatch has, you just don't get fact-checked anymore in the Washington Post. They just allow you to print whatever you want. Is that the rule? 'Cause if it isn't the rule, than how do you explain this?"

Sen. Hatch's column, "Reconciliation on health care would be an assault to the democratic process," argued against the use of reconciliation, a simple majority voting procedure, to "to jam through [health care] legislation." Maddow noted that Sen. Hatch used reconciliation no less than 10 times over the past 21 years.

Rachel Maddow Show
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2010, 07:33 AM

Here's a specific lie she points out, from Orrin Hatch in yesterdays WSJ.

Reconciliation was designed to balance the federal budget. Both parties have used the process, but only when the bills in question stuck close to dealing with the budget. In instances in which other substantive legislation was included, the legislation had significant bipartisan support.
washingtonpost.com

She points out that Republicans passed in 2003 Bush Tax cuts that exploded the deficit with 50 votes.

2005: reconciliation vote on Medicare reform with 52 votes.

Why use reconciliation when you have "significant bipartisan support.?"

Old 03-03-2010, 07:35 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,703,250 times
But, but, but, I thought that Maddow and Olbermann and all of MSNBC didn't deal in truth and facts.

Sen. Hatch's history of using reconciliation must have been planted in the Congressional record.
Yep, that has to be it.

He couldn't possibly be so hypocritical. Or, could he

Old 03-03-2010, 07:38 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Then for pete's sake let them vote on it. They keep proclaiming they have the numbers but want the minority Republicans on board. They also proclaim that Americans want this.

So what's holding up the vote here ? They can probably ram it through and could have for some time now..but they haven't passed it yet, have they ?

Old 03-03-2010, 07:45 AM

30,065 posts, read 18,665,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art123 View Post
Maddow:"[Hatch's op-ed] has so many blantant, out-right falsehoods in it that It made me wonder if maybe there's a deal or something. Where if maybe you're a United States Senator who's been in office for 33 years like Orrin Hatch has, you just don't get fact-checked anymore in the Washington Post. They just allow you to print whatever you want. Is that the rule? 'Cause if it isn't the rule, than how do you explain this?"

Sen. Hatch's column, "Reconciliation on health care would be an assault to the democratic process," argued against the use of reconciliation, a simple majority voting procedure, to "to jam through [health care] legislation." Maddow noted that Sen. Hatch used reconciliation no less than 10 times over the past 21 years.

Rachel Maddow Show

Whatever, Art.

Let them vote in thier healthcare plan, if that is what they want to do. I think it will be one of the best things to happen to the republican party, as Obama will lose his senate and congressional majority in the fall. The same policies that he has pushed through will be reversed by the will of the people. Further, it will ensure his defeat in 2012, which is not all that bad.

So, Art, can you tell me who is going to pay for all this fun stuff? Now before you say, "the rich", keep in mind that we are fairly adept at side stepping some of these blows and we usually just find a way around unjust taxes. I, for one, will simply reduce my income below the Obama taxation threshold, as I can generate all of what we need to live on tax free. Good luck with the funding of these projects- I, as well as many others, are just not interested in paying for them at this time.

Old 03-03-2010, 07:51 AM

1,062 posts, read 1,018,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
But, but, but, I thought that Maddow and Olbermann and all of MSNBC didn't deal in truth and facts.

Sen. Hatch's history of using reconciliation must have been planted in the Congressional record.
Yep, that has to be it.

He couldn't possibly be so hypocritical. Or, could he
Well, since Maddow likes to deal in truth and facts, I wonder why she failed to mention the outrage the Dems had regarding the use of reconciliation? Note in particular the comments of Biden...

Obama, Biden, Clinton, Dodd & More Believe Reconciliation is Unconstitutional - HUMAN EVENTS (http://www.humanevents.com/article.php?id=35779 - broken link)

Also interesting that Sen. Bryd, who authored the concept of reconciliation has stated that to push this bill through goes against the very intent for which it was designed. Didn't hear Maddow mention that either.

She couldn't possibly be so hypocritical. Or, could she?

Old 03-03-2010, 07:55 AM

938 posts, read 1,230,499 times
Cows don't walk to slaughter by force, they go at will.

Old 03-03-2010, 08:00 AM

4,604 posts, read 8,231,864 times
I suspect that, unfortunately, it will pass. Progressive Reps will vote with Progressive Donks to foist this trash upon the unsuspecting sheeps. I'm with the HappyTexan, just do it so we can move on to getting rid of the bastards who will have so abused the congressional process. > ? ? ? What is the delay, Tom ? ? ? <

Obama has said they need something so they can sell it. So we'll get the leftover trash that will pass. Aside from that, only November will tell.

Old 03-03-2010, 08:02 AM

6,565 posts, read 14,295,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Then for pete's sake let them vote on it. They keep proclaiming they have the numbers but want the minority Republicans on board. They also proclaim that Americans want this.

So what's holding up the vote here ? They can probably ram it through and could have for some time now..but they haven't passed it yet, have they ?
This is where I'm at on this subject... Do it, or shut up!!!

It's obvious that Republicans are NOT going to be on board whether you include a lot of their ideas or not.

Old 03-03-2010, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Whatever, Art.

Let them vote in thier healthcare plan, if that is what they want to do. I think it will be one of the best things to happen to the republican party, as Obama will lose his senate and congressional majority in the fall. The same policies that he has pushed through will be reversed by the will of the people. Further, it will ensure his defeat in 2012, which is not all that bad.

So, Art, can you tell me who is going to pay for all this fun stuff? Now before you say, "the rich", keep in mind that we are fairly adept at side stepping some of these blows and we usually just find a way around unjust taxes. I, for one, will simply reduce my income below the Obama taxation threshold, as I can generate all of what we need to live on tax free. Good luck with the funding of these projects- I, as well as many others, are just not interested in paying for them at this time.
Quite the patriot you are. Our legal system usually decides what is just and what isn't. Good to know you are living here at the expense of the rest of us.

If the Democrats don't pass Health Care reform, they lose their base support. Everyone knows that change is politically unpopular, but sometimes politicians have to do the right thing, despite the possible consequences. No doubt Republicans will pick up seats, historically that has been the case for the minority party after a Presidential party change. All the more reason to do the right thing now, at this time.

"Whatever, Art?" Did you grow up, like, in the valley? Are you, like, twelve or something?

What's with all the condescension? Feel better about yourself now?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies