U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 10:37 AM

938 posts, read 1,081,946 times

Advertisements

I was taught how to work for mine at a young age by a businessman whose yard I used to cut. I used to cut yards for $25 flat rate. If I had to rake up leaves or pinestraw I added $5 bucks to my price making it a cool $30 bucks. I used to recommend that I rake the yards to keep them looking fresh and most homeowners understood that and added the extra $5. some yards even began putting me on a schedule which guranteed payment every week, which guranteed I had money to buy bubble gum and comic books or save up for a bike or something. I'd say over the course of a summer I would average $3,000 each year. that's $1,000 month, roughly $240/week cutting yards. This gave me a sense of pride knowing that I had money to buy the jeans I wanted(Dickie's, Levi's and Lee jeans) and not want my mom thought I needed (no name brands from Goodwill with patches on the knees).

This entrepreneurial spirit was lost on cutting yards, I took it to
Jr. High/High School and was the "candy guy". I was that guy who sold all the Snickers, Twix, Now & Laters and Bubblegum year round and twice on Halloween ..I even expanded my hustle and made t-shirts for $20 to classmates with school spirit phrases on them like " Class of", "Seniors", names on the back, sleeves, on hats, etc.. so come time for Prom, Senior Day, Yearbooks, etc.. I had the money to do it. Again, I'm feeling good about myself and the bug put in my ears years ago, if you work for it, you can achieve what you seek.

But wait, threre's more. College. PARTY TIME!!..oh yeah, I got sht-faced more than enough, BUT by this time, I was into refurbishing old classic cars and selling them. I had already sold my first car and 1 other by the time I graduated high school so I knew what people liked. Long story short, during my college days, I was able to pay for a lot of college issues with money from the cars I sold(3) and money I already learned to stash at a young age.

Now as a grown man, I fully understand how to run a business, the power of being a self-starter, a go-getter and remain ambitious about my goals.

What say you? care to share your inspiration from a businessman? or anybody who taught you the value of working for what you want and not lying, stealing and cheating to get it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2010, 10:50 AM

1,715 posts, read 4,110,766 times
My parents taught me that poor people work for their money and rich people make their money work for them. All this 30 years before Rich Dad Poor Dad books were popular. Bought my first home at 18 when I was in collage working fast food jobs Now I pick up rent checks for a living and yes I still have that first house that has been paid for now 12 -13 years.

Old 03-03-2010, 10:57 AM

69,372 posts, read 55,522,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Horsemen View Post
What say you? care to share your inspiration from a businessman? or anybody who taught you the value of working for what you want and not lying, stealing and cheating to get it?
I started delivering newspapers when I was 10, by time I reached 11, I had taken over 2 other paper routes. I remember receiving $3,000 when I was 13 in Christmas tips, which was a HUGE some of money for me as a child. It was more money than my parents made in several months. Here I learned to work hard, and provide a service, and you'll be rewarded..

My inspiration for saving for the future, comes from watching my mother struggle financially after the death of my father. While he had a nice life insurance policy, it wasnt sufficient. It allowed for the payoff of the home, and for my mom to return to school, but she needed to learn how to even write a check, where documents were, and what to do with them. To this day make sure my family wont go through what my mother went through. I print copies of everything I own, and I mount them on the wall as some "badge" of honor. I keep copies of all sales agreements, leases, payoffs etc in that frame so upon my death, my family only needs to remove the picture frames and know the value of each and what to expect rental wise etc, and give them a ball park as to value and how to sell them.

My investments inspiration comes from very dear friend I have from Canada who taught me how to stock trade, and taught me that there is a completely different class of individuals in society who simply have "too much", and about how to avoid taxes, and about how to use money, to make money.

And finally, my willingness to live a "normal" life and focus on investing rather than spend profits to show off to the world, comes from my next door neighbor growing up. I found out much later in life that my neighbor owned a huge corporation in dowtown where I lived, with a 27 story office building, and 1500 employees. He was a normal individual, lived in a regular $100K home, his wife worked as a teacher, and an all around "normal" guy. Except for the fact that the company he owned has a market cap of $2.5B, and $1.2B a year in revenues. His company of course is/was an investment company..

Old 03-03-2010, 11:26 AM

938 posts, read 1,081,946 times
So why is it so hard for kids today to understand these valuable lessons we learned? It's like a Beggars Generation.

Old 03-03-2010, 11:30 AM

21,434 posts, read 19,328,093 times
No.

Old 03-03-2010, 11:35 AM

31,777 posts, read 24,910,295 times
Soichiro Honda. Now he is my definition of an entrepreneur. Never made excuses.

Old 03-03-2010, 11:42 AM

41,492 posts, read 51,406,502 times
Yeah. I was inspired to run away as fast as I could. The man was a thief that bilked investors while calling himself an inventor. Another was the office “candy man” that provided the drugs necessary to survive that environment. I kind of liked him even though I do not indulge. Another businessman I knew was a complete cheapskate that wouldn’t help a friend that needed some investment money. Fortunately the creep punched out at 53 years old from complete overindulgence. So did my friend from excess worry. Yeah, I have been inspired by businessmen. Most were selfish thieves.

Old 03-03-2010, 11:45 AM

4,089 posts, read 4,721,933 times
My story is similar. I was a teen entreprenuer. I also did yardwork, paper routes, and such.

I used to volunteer to prepare taxes for free for students. One year in college I did about 50 tax returns for people who were not smart enough to show up for the free tax program. I charged $10 for a simple one page return, which is all they were. I almost felt guilty. I used to spread my wealth though. We had a couple of good parties.

These liberal types are always ranting about superstitious God and espousing evolution. Fair enough. Own or be "owned" applies then. I like owning, thank you.

Old 03-03-2010, 11:58 AM

15,065 posts, read 19,713,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Horsemen View Post
I even expanded my hustle and made t-shirts for $20 to classmates with school spirit phrases on them like " Class of", "Seniors", names on the back, sleeves, on hats, etc..

I've never been inspired by a businessman that sits down waiting for profits, and once it starts going down, he starts firing people because he doesn't want to have to sell his 5th beach house.

I've been inspired by all the hard working people, whether they own a small-business or not that "hustle" everyday to make a descent living and doing hoping to make a living and improve their community at the same time.

Old 03-03-2010, 12:02 PM

69,372 posts, read 55,522,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
I've never been inspired by a businessman that sits down waiting for profits, and once it starts going down, he starts firing people because he doesn't want to have to sell his 5th beach house.

I've been inspired by all the hard working people, whether they own a small-business or not that "hustle" everyday to make a descent living and doing hoping to make a living and improve their community at the same time.
The flaw in your posting, is that those "hard working people", wouldnt exist without the business man risking his "5 beach houses".. (although most business people I know, only own 1).. I happen to know a guy who does have 5 homes though.. Maybe we know the same man..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies