Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2010, 03:20 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,205,540 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Since you're the one saying that the manufacturing of one car is so harmful, why don't you prove it? Then prove that amortized across 13 years (the current age of my Jeep - it has many years left) or 160,000 miles (the mileage of the last car I sold [bought brand new a decade earlier, btw]), the environmental "damage" of that car being manufactured isn't negligible.

You're the one making the absurd claim here, not me. The burden of proof is on you to prove it.
Sure. if you want to dodge questions like this go ahead. Apparently math is too difficult for you!

Quote:
I didn't even touch nuclear...
Please, lets discuss it. I would love to have that conversation!

Quote:
My example was a pretty simple one, and the process of building a windmill has very little impact compared to building the infrastructure required for most other forms of energy generation or conversion.

If you had your way, we'd all be living in caves. But we wouldn't be allowed to have fires to warm ourselves - it'd be too environmentally unfriendly.
I agreed with you and you still bash me? Good lord...

Quote:
You are "more than a little depressed" because of my hobby? Seriously? You need help.

By the way, you are obviously clueless when it comes to the off-road community. I'd wager that I do more to help the environment in three months than you do in a year. Off-road organizations are among the most active in conservation and actually getting out there and getting stuff done. When was the last time you ran a trail and picked up enough trash left by inconsiderate hikers to fill several trash bags?
Right. Everyone knows offroading is great for the environment.

Whatever you need to tell yourself.

Quote:
What do I need two of them for?
Bicycle. Repeat - no motor.

Quote:
LOL! I think that if you really tried, you could have fit two or three more liberal sheep buzzwords into that sentence!
I am not a liberal, I am libertarian. I have never once voted for a liberal candidate in any election. Beleive it or not, some of us look at issues instead of writing off entire parties.

Quote:
So no response? How is it that you don't have a reply to one of the smartest solutions to the overcrowding of roadways and environmental pollution caused by automobiles in decades?

Quote:
You're the one making the outrageous claims. How about YOU "run the numbers" and prove YOU'RE right?
I was the first to broach the subject. The burden is on you. Please read this and this before you claim I can't back up what I am saying. Where are your resources? Do you even have any?

Quote:
Here we go with the elitist "I'm smarter than you and it's been proven because you disagree with me, despite me not knowing anything about you or your interests or what demands life has placed on you, none of which matters anyway because you're supposed to be just like me and like it!" garbage.

Save it. You're wasting precious energy spouting that nonsense.
Again - I gave you resources - read up on it. It is obvious you have done no research at all.

Quote:
Sure. Mail them to me. I can always using more kindling for my campfires.
So you want to debate an issue but you refuse to read up on the other side? Do you realize how ignorant that is? Give me the resources you have used to back up your stance and I will gladly read them.

If you are too lazy/stubborn to read the resources out there, stay out of the debate.

Quote:
You (obviously) don't know who I am or what I know. You just read that I have a Jeep that I like to drive off-road occasionally, and I'm countering you in this thread. As far as you're concerned, that's all you need to know.

It wouldn't matter that to get to my last "regular" job, I determined the break-even point between taking the bus or driving my (then 32mpg) car to work, and would spend two extra hours in transit every day taking the bus, just to save 50 cents on gas. No, that wouldn't matter to you, because I have more than one car.

It doesn't matter to you that I explained specifically why we have multiple cars, and that we drive the most fuel efficient one (for that reason) unless we need to drive the van or we're heading out to a trail. No, that doesn't matter to you, because I still own a Jeep.

It wouldn't matter to you that we run an almost completely paperless office - despite our business being centered around paperwork - use natural lighting (during daylight hours) in our office and run our business at home, giving us a 10 foot, zero emission commute. No, that wouldn't matter, because I like to go rock crawling sometimes on the weekends.
When you decide you will use the books I recommend as kindling instead of learning something new, it is hard to take what you say seriously.

Please - you don't use a little paper and that makes up for the rest of your poor habits? Talk about justification!

That is like saying if you recycle it makes up for the environmental impact of living in a 5000 sqft house with the heat on 90 all winter!

Quote:
It IS easier to keep assuming things about people, rather than try to learn from/understand them. Right?
Funny to hear that coming from the guy who refuses to click on a link and read a little about the subject he is debating...

Quote:
Well, since I don't have that attitude... What can I say - you're just wrong.

I love you, man. Ignorant rants like yours just make me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.
Whatever you need to tell yourself buddy. Do people who go on 'ignorant rants' give sources for their data that often?

Read up on the subject. Please. Do your research. I will read and seriously consider anything and everything you can give me. Please pay me the same respect. If you can't - stop debating a topic on which you have read nothing about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2010, 06:04 PM

23,862 posts, read 24,111,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
Sure. if you want to dodge questions like this go ahead. Apparently math is too difficult for you!

Please, lets discuss it. I would love to have that conversation!

I agreed with you and you still bash me? Good lord...

Right. Everyone knows offroading is great for the environment.

Whatever you need to tell yourself.

Bicycle. Repeat - no motor.

I am not a liberal, I am libertarian. I have never once voted for a liberal candidate in any election. Beleive it or not, some of us look at issues instead of writing off entire parties.

So no response? How is it that you don't have a reply to one of the smartest solutions to the overcrowding of roadways and environmental pollution caused by automobiles in decades?

I was the first to broach the subject. The burden is on you. Please read this and this before you claim I can't back up what I am saying. Where are your resources? Do you even have any?

Again - I gave you resources - read up on it. It is obvious you have done no research at all.

So you want to debate an issue but you refuse to read up on the other side? Do you realize how ignorant that is? Give me the resources you have used to back up your stance and I will gladly read them.

If you are too lazy/stubborn to read the resources out there, stay out of the debate.

When you decide you will use the books I recommend as kindling instead of learning something new, it is hard to take what you say seriously.

Please - you don't use a little paper and that makes up for the rest of your poor habits? Talk about justification!

That is like saying if you recycle it makes up for the environmental impact of living in a 5000 sqft house with the heat on 90 all winter!

Funny to hear that coming from the guy who refuses to click on a link and read a little about the subject he is debating...

Whatever you need to tell yourself buddy. Do people who go on 'ignorant rants' give sources for their data that often?

Read up on the subject. Please. Do your research. I will read and seriously consider anything and everything you can give me. Please pay me the same respect. If you can't - stop debating a topic on which you have read nothing about.
Libertarian? You? Your position in this thread alone is enough to invalidate that notion.

You can tell yourself whatever you need to in order to convince yourself that you know who I am or what I'm about. Frankly, I don't care if you think I'm being sincere or not when it comes to my environmental efforts. I stand by my statement that I probably do more in three months for the environment than you do in a year.

Just so we're straight: I own a Jeep, and I take it off the asphalt, so I'm a bad person. Isn't that about right? What was it you said? Oh yeah:
Quote:
Attitudes of gluttonous consumerism like yours are disgusting.
"Gluttonous consumerism" because I have a Jeep, and because I have more than one car, when there isn't "one" car that can do everything I need my cars to do... Oooookie dokie...

BTW, I'm done with this thread, so a response will not be read. It appears that everyone else is about done with it, too, so I'm going to drop it and let it get buried by all the other useless arguments in this forum. You have some preconceived notion about who I am for literally no reason at all, and I have no interest in working any harder than I already have to convince you otherwise. Have a nice day.

Old 03-04-2010, 06:47 PM

37,971 posts, read 22,151,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Despite causing it, the libs will be the first to ***** about it. It translates into higher prices for EVERYTHING, as all products need to be delivered to market.

It is like the libs who wanted all the dams torn down to save guppies, yet were shocked when thier electric utility bills skyrocketed.

The libs are like infants. They cry from a stimulus, whether it is cold or hunger, but do not have the knowledge or means to satisfy thier needs in a rational sense. As long as they get a bottle NOW, everything is okay for them, until, of course, the next crisis arises.
All you need to do is look at California, they did everything the liberals and tree huggers wanted to do, jacked up the electricity rates and taxes, and chased out every person with the means to flee the impossible cost of living in that state, and now look at the place.

Old 03-04-2010, 06:51 PM

19,025 posts, read 14,205,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Am I a bad person for owning a Hummer? It's the smaller model, so I consider it to be the "green version" of the Hummer.
Actually, a HUMMER is a "Green" vehicle, when fully loaded. The cost per passenger mile is better than a single occupant Prius.

That's the problem with government dictating gas mileage without taking into consideration the passenger load.

10,000 single occupant 35 MPG vehicles consume as much fuel as
5,000 dual occupant 17.5 MPG vehicles.

If you want to cut consumption of fuel per passenger, you have to increase passenger load, whatever vehicle is in use.

Old 03-04-2010, 07:04 PM

19,025 posts, read 14,205,095 times
I hope when the carbonites (carbon counters) are finally discredited and are stifled, that the more pressing reasons for weaning ourselves from petroleum are not ignored.

The basic fact is that the U.S.A. is consuming far too much petroleum to achieve its goals.

Oil reserves - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
United States
21 billion bbl reserve
7.5 million bbl/ day Production (2008)
8 year reserve life

Problem?
Consumption 20 million bbl/day
Production 7.5 million bbl/day

Bigger problem?
Consumption 7.3 BILLION BBL/YEAR
RESERVES 21 BILLION BBL

If we had to use only our own petroleum, we've got THREE YEARS of proven reserve.
Tick tick tick tick tick...
If you think it's bad now, wait till 100% of our consumption is imported.

Old 03-04-2010, 07:41 PM

2,196 posts, read 1,994,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
this will be wonderful for the sputtering economy..
uggabugga !!! ...

Indeed these are simply wonderful plans those really nice folks in the Government and of course Harvard have planned for the American People !

It really gets a bit nerve wracking when one realizes that those "Towering Intellectuals" from Harvard are now in the position of suggesting even more tax increases on the good people of this already oppressively taxed nation !

It often appears that these incredibly "Dopey" politicians and such must have an unprecedented "Death Wish " for this Great Nation !

The American People are without a doubt being taxed into absolute oblivion at this point in history! Thanks / Lamar

Old 03-04-2010, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Horsemen View Post
More cars off the road = crowded busses and trains = less people able to get to work = more unemployment.

Obamanomics.
4Horseman !!! ... On Target !

Yes Indeed !..... America's so called White House "Intellectual" hard at work once again for the benefit of the good old American People !

Ain't It Wonderful ! Thanks / Lamar

Old 03-04-2010, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
WTF are you talking about?
swagger !

When you find out would you mind sharing it with some of us on here ?

Thanks / Lamar

Old 03-04-2010, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmateo View Post
I could have picked any number of statements to quote, but if we "want" to get a huge increase in the price of gas, no tax increase is needed. How about ceasing the HUGE subsidies we give the oil industry, and let them charge a realistic price? Might even lead to a tax Decrease.

Seems like the Republicans are all about free markets until it takes away their hummer. (or more realistically, until they can spin their government subsidies of big business, and their blatent wealth redistribution as a demoncratic tax and spend scheme! Unbelievable.)

^I'm no fan of either party, and certainly not a fan of Obama, but the Republicans have really gone over the edge lately
Bmateo !!! ... your last sentence speakes volumes about the incredibly dismal Washington "Political Circus" ! Thanks / Lamar

Old 03-04-2010, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Despite causing it, the libs will be the first to ***** about it. It translates into higher prices for EVERYTHING, as all products need to be delivered to market.

It is like the libs who wanted all the dams torn down to save guppies, yet were shocked when thier electric utility bills skyrocketed.

The libs are like infants. They cry from a stimulus, whether it is cold or hunger, but do not have the knowledge or means to satisfy thier needs in a rational sense. As long as they get a bottle NOW, everything is okay for them, until, of course, the next crisis arises.
hawkeye2009 !!! ... Right on Target !

You have absolutely described these incredibly " Flakey" folks to a tee ! He He He ! Damn well said ! Thanks / Lamar
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies