Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2010, 11:20 AM

2,667 posts, read 6,779,849 times

Advertisements

Sorry if this post does not completely tie together at the end. Just some of my thoughts ...

Our debt. I like something I heard last night: Both parties over many years have gotten us into this mess. Over time, we have had gutless liberals in majority that refuse to raise taxes enough to pay down our debt or cover their spending. Over time, we have had gutless conservatives in majority that refuse to cut government spending enough to pay down our debt or cover our massive tax cuts. It's all about getting re-elected. Liberals in congress are afraid to talk about taxes or revenue that is taken from their voting constituants. Conservatives in congress are afraid to massively cut programs that affect their voting constituants. The end result is inaction and a growing debt that no one will tackle.

Now, on a seperate note, from a personal metaphorical perspective I see government as my wife. I got my first credit card at age 19. I am 29 now and have the ability to borrow a very very high amount of money, but only run a steady bill of maybe 2% or 3% of that borrowing power just to keep a high credit score. I am fiscally responsible, for what that is worth. My wife, however, got her first credit card at age 23. It only had a ceiling of 2k (thank god). Should have been easy to take care of. I told her that is fine. But if at age 25, she had a balance anywhere above 25% of the ceiling ... we would have to go back to the old plan (which basically means we both only use our debit cards from seperate banking accounts). Well, the time came for me to check. She had a bill of $1950 on a $2000 ceiling ... with just over $100 in her bank account. Basically maxed out. What happened? I gave up $1950 of my hard earned money to pay off her CC for the trade-off that she then cancel her CC and only use her debit card.

There is no real moral to the story. I just thought it was a neat comparison from a minor scale (my family) to the major scale (our government). I am not a tea bagger. I don't really have a party allegence. For instance, I support federal single-payer health insurance for all and necessary government regulation (especially food/drug/finance), but I also support the fair tax, more welfare reform or abolition, and much less government buerocracy. I don't have an answer to our problem by any means though. Whatever the answer is, eventually something will have to be figure out. I don't care what party a politician is. I would prefer a bunch of independents that are social libertarians, fiscal conservatives, and just liberal enough to want to establish single-payer down the road and/or look into ways to curb society to a more health middle-class as opposed to rich/poor. At this point though, I'll settle for whoever can appear on TV and not give a lame practiced before-hand argument and non-answer lol.

Just a few of my thoughts lately. Havn't posted in awhile. Enjoy and feel free to disagree with anything I said, if any of it has enough relevance to discuss.

Edit#1: Guess I should have specified federal gov in the title, or else we are practicing some serious polygamy.

Edit#2: Guess I should have included "husband" for the fiscally responsible women out there.

Last edited by Azalea City Man; 03-03-2010 at 11:44 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2010, 11:37 AM

30,063 posts, read 18,663,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oscottscotto View Post
Sorry if this post does not completely tie together at the end. Just some of my thoughts ...

Our debt. I like something I heard last night: Both parties over many years have gotten us into this mess. Over time, we have had gutless liberals in majority that refuse to raise taxes enough to pay down our debt or cover their spending. Over time, we have had gutless conservatives in majority that refuse to cut government spending enough to pay down our debt or cover our massive tax cuts. It's all about getting re-elected. Liberals in congress are afraid to talk about taxes or revenue that is taken from their voting constituants. Conservatives in congress are afraid to massively cut programs that affect their voting constituants. The end result is inaction and a growing debt that no one will tackle.

Now, on a seperate note, from a personal metaphorical perspective I see government as my wife. I got my first credit card at age 19. I am 29 now and have the ability to borrow a very very high amount of money, but only run a steady bill of maybe 2% or 3% of that borrowing power just to keep a high credit score. I am fiscally responsible, for what that is worth. My wife, however, got her first credit card at age 23. It only had a ceiling of 2k (thank god). Should have been easy to take care of. I told her that is fine. But if at age 25, she had a balance anywhere above 25% of the ceiling ... we would have to go back to the old plan (which basically means we both only use our debit cards from seperate banking accounts). Well, the time came for me to check. She had a bill of $1950 on a $2000 ceiling ... with just over $100 in her bank account. Basically maxed out. What happened? I gave up $1950 of my hard earned money to pay off her CC for the trade-off that she then cancel her CC and only use her debit card.

There is no real moral to the story. I just thought it was a neat comparison from a minor scale (my family) to the major scale (our government). I am not a tea bagger. I don't really have a party allegence. For instance, I support federal single-payer health insurance for all and necessary government regulation (especially food/drug/finance), but I also support the fair tax, more welfare reform or abolition, and much less government buerocracy. I don't have an answer to our problem by any means though. Whatever the answer is, eventually something will have to be figure out. I don't care what party a politician is. I would prefer a bunch of independents that are social libertarians, fiscal conservatives, and just liberal enough to want to establish single-payer down the road and/or look into ways to curb society to a more health middle-class as opposed to rich/poor. At this point though, I'll settle for whoever can appear on TV and not give a lame practiced before-hand argument and non-answer lol.

Just a few of my thoughts lately. Havn't posted in awhile. Enjoy and feel free to disagree with anything I said, if any of it has enough relevance to discuss.

Rein in the wife.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies