Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are we a Christian nation?
Yes 90 24.26%
No 212 57.14%
To an extent 69 18.60%
Voters: 371. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2012, 08:38 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,113,650 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Your question is meaningless to me because no one has argued it would change anything. Maybe someone else will find it more meaningful. I did not bother to respond to the other part of your post because that too was meaningless strawman nonsense.
LOL! I got your MO....if you can't answer or address another post , it's meaningless nonsense....

Not real brave but safe....

Old 07-13-2012, 08:40 AM

11,754 posts, read 14,611,102 times
Quote:
Yes, indeed.

Romans 13: 4 For the one inauthority is God’s servant for your good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for rulers do not bear the sword for no reason. They are God’s servants, agents of wrath to bring punishment on the wrongdoer

This does not mean the authority can never be wrong, but it shows that God sees having police and military as a necessary part of a society. They are God's servants.

Remember that next time you go to the airport and see TSA agents .
This is one of the posts that really demonstrate that you christianists don't know what you're talking about.

The very radical idea of the Declaration of Independence, which never formed the basis of any government before ours, is that governments derive their just power from the consent of the governed.

Your idea that the people in authority are servants of god, even if there were one, is totally off base.

Old 07-13-2012, 08:52 AM

77,013 posts, read 47,481,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
This is one of the posts that really demonstrate that you christianists don't know what you're talking about.

The very radical idea of the Declaration of Independence, which never formed the basis of any government before ours, is that governments derive their just power from the consent of the governed.

Your idea that the people in authority are servants of god, even if there were one, is totally off base.

Governments do derive their just power from the consent of the governed, and it has nothing to do with the fact that the authorities are servants of God. God uses them for His purposes.

Old 07-13-2012, 09:07 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,767,183 times
Quote:
My opinon is unchanged. Read back and see what I said about it the first time.
I'm sure you can provide a link to your post? And if that is too inconvenient, just say it again. It would be more useful than sticking to a rhetoric (that you don't mind repeating often).

Quote:
Governments do derive their just power from the consent of the governed, and it has nothing to do with the fact that the authorities are servants of God. God uses them for His purposes.
Then, you must also believe that the premise to separate religion and government is non-existent and those who believe in it are downright ignorant. Do you?

Old 07-13-2012, 09:31 AM

33,509 posts, read 18,076,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post

In other words God is always in control. God sees the good and evil. God sees the wickedness in high places.God looks upon nations and individuals. This is a Christian belief.

One cannot take out the influence of the secular humanist or the Christian. Their beliefs are opposing and will always be.

When our nation was born we were not a secular humanist only country. We were influenced by the good of theJudeo- Christian principles. That is why we say , One Nation, Under God. In God We Trust on our money. We were influenced with Judeo-Christian influence in the birthing of our independence as a democracy with inalienable rights for all by our creator. A God who created us was recognized.

Old 07-13-2012, 09:36 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,487,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell Phillips View Post
The states are not free to do as they choose. Statutes in violation of the Establishment Clause are unconstitutional will be struck down. Stone v. Graham, 449 U.S. 39 (1980), citing Lemon v. Kurtzman, 403 U.S. 602 (1971). Nor, is such assertion supported by historical record. Thomas Jefferson, who wrote the Declaration of Independence - George Washington, who presided over the Constitutional Convention - and James Madison, who drafted the Constitution (and the First Amendment) - all declared that our nation was not founded on religion. The separation of church and state is the founding principle in the protection of religious freedom as provided in the First Amendment to the Constitution; and, moreover, the Supreme Court has so interpreted it. Everson v. Board of Education of Ewing TP. et al., 330 U.S. 1 (1947).
I said, if you weren't so intent on giving a canned response, that the strict separation of religion from public institutions and life is a relatively recent development in American history. The mid-20th century is what I was referring to. In addition, unless you think the founders were divinely inspired to know there would be a 14th Amendment, there is no doubt, none at all, they were leaving the relationship of church and state on the state and local levels to the states and localities.

Again, if you want the Only definition of "Christian nation' to mean a theocracy, official national religion, bans on other religions, and the like, we were never a CN. I think Brewer and others offer a more perceptive meaning of the term.

Old 07-13-2012, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Then, you must also believe that the premise to separate religion and government is non-existent and those who believe in it are downright ignorant. Do you?
Ignorant? No, because one thing really has nothing to do with the other. God, and His followers seeing the authority as God's servants, does not mean that they are not democratically elected officials. They are both.

Old 07-13-2012, 09:45 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,354,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
Oh yes, Brian , I guess you went through life being peaceful with everyone you came across. Sounds self -righteous to make a claim that there should not be war at all. There will always be aggressors and that is fact.
Hearing Jesus' commands to "love thy neighbor as thyself" indeed brought peace to me. I hope it does to you, too.

Quote:
Yes, indeed.

Romans 13: 4 For the one inauthority is God’s servant for your good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for rulers do not bear the sword for no reason. They are God’s servants, agents of wrath to bring punishment on the wrongdoer

This does not mean the authority can never be wrong, but it shows that God sees having police and military as a necessary part of a society. They are God's servants.

Remember that next time you go to the airport and see TSA agents .
Yes, authority is God's servant. Including Hitler, Hussein, Stalin, Obama... even the King of England, whom the "founders of the US" rebelled against.

Peace,
brian

Old 07-13-2012, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahigherway View Post
Hearing Jesus' commands to "love thy neighbor as thyself" indeed brought peace to me. I hope it does to you, too.
Sure

Quote:
Yes, authority is God's servant. Including Hitler, Hussein, Stalin, Obama... even the King of England, whom the "founders of the US" rebelled against.
Do you know who represented the authority when Paul wrote those words?

Old 07-13-2012, 09:49 AM

33,509 posts, read 18,076,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahigherway View Post

Peace,
brian
Well , if a thug comes and tries to harm your family I guess you will stay peaceful and just stand there and let it happen.. I get it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.