Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 07:02 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,773,460 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackandproud View Post
You need to move over to the side with those Right wing nuts that like to argue just for the sake of arguing. Maybe you need to start from the first page of the this thread and read through all. For the LAST TIME ...THE TERM HERO was in the OP article, I USED the term ACHIEVEMENT. CHILDREN SEE ATHLETES AS HERO'S.
Children see athletes as heros because adults like you cannot discern between Jackie Robinson and Dennis Rodman. Good grief, touting OJ! Defining Deviancy Down to the nth degree.

I fail to see what is right wing or nutty about that, but if you see no difference in Jackie Robinson and Dennis Rodman, then....

Old 03-05-2010, 08:12 AM

2,422 posts, read 2,278,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
What makes an artist a hero? Only in California would they confuse "celebrity" with "hero."
Is there anything in California worth a damned, other than the weather?

Old 03-05-2010, 08:28 AM

6,902 posts, read 7,536,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Children see athletes as heros because adults like you cannot discern between Jackie Robinson and Dennis Rodman. Good grief, touting OJ! Defining Deviancy Down to the nth degree.

I fail to see what is right wing or nutty about that, but if you see no difference in Jackie Robinson and Dennis Rodman, then....

and again here you are arguing with me about a term used in a article. A term that NO WHERE in any of my POSTS did I say, "oh yeah their hero's". Do you know the difinition of the word ACHIEVEMENT vs Hero?

Children use the term because their children and because the MEDIA puts it out there which is clearly shown in this article, where you've decipher from my use of the word Achievement to my agreeing to the term Hero is truely clairvoyant on your part and yes wingnut.

Continue to argue what ever your trying to argue. Have fun.

Old 03-05-2010, 08:40 AM

Quote:
and again here you are arguing with me about a term used in a article. A term that NO WHERE in any of my POSTS did I say, "oh yeah their hero's". Do you know the difinition of the word ACHIEVEMENT vs Hero?

Children use the term because their children and because the MEDIA puts it out there which is clearly shown in this article, where you've decipher from my use of the word Achievement to my agreeing to the term Hero is truely clairvoyant on your part and yes wingnut.

Continue to argue what ever your trying to argue. Have fun.

And its telling that nowhere have you disputed, refuted, or just plain condemned the notion that these tacky athletes and murderers are heroes. Only now that you have been pushed into a corner are you starting to edge away from it.

They're children? Yes, and should my son ever state that Michael Jordan is a hero, I am going to take him to the library and get him some materials on Jackie Robinson or Raol Wallenberg and show him what a hero really is. Then I am going show him the photos of Nicole Simpson after OJ beat her up like the heroic man he is and tell him that a demented strata of the population actually think this despicable person is someone to be admired.

Better a wingnut than an enabler or a coward.

Old 03-05-2010, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
And its telling that nowhere have you disputed, refuted, or just plain condemned the notion that these tacky athletes and murderers are heroes. Only now that you have been pushed into a corner are you starting to edge away from it.

They're children? Yes, and should my son ever state that Michael Jordan is a hero, I am going to take him to the library and get him some materials on Jackie Robinson or Raol Wallenberg and show him what a hero really is. Then I am going show him the photos of Nicole Simpson after OJ beat her up like the heroic man he is and tell him that a demented strata of the population actually think this despicable person is someone to be admired.

Better a wingnut than an enabler or a coward.

Oh grow the freak up. Now your turning this into a personal snipe because I'm not jumping and stumping to your beat, I don't move in lockstep, i'm just not programmed that way.
I haven't backed away from anything, and definately not backed into a corner. I have not changing my position.

You want to continue to try and associate me with using the term Hero, have at it continue with the LIE. Your showing yourself as that typical stereotype that many on C-D accuse black people of. Grow up.

Old 03-05-2010, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
According to the 1830 census, 3,775 free blacks owned 12,740 black slaves. I doubt these accomplishments by "those once seen as property" are discussed in classrooms alongside MLK.

Black Slave Owners Civil War Article by Robert M Grooms

UWEC Geog188 Vogeler - Free Black Slaveowners in South Carolina

Now answer my question. Why do we need to set aside an entire month to heap unfiltered praise on one race without permitting opposing points of view? We certainly scrutinize the actions of Europeans, so why do we need the double standard?

This does not answer the question on re-writing history and for the record it WAS discussed in history class how freed slaves bought back their family members and other slaves. As far as the opposing views, those are not only well documented but discussed. If your school did not discuss them, then that is probably an issue you need to address with your school administration. As far as setting a month aside for black history, YOU don't need to acknowledge it.

Old 03-05-2010, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Oh grow the freak up. Now your turning this into a personal snipe because I'm not jumping and stumping to your beat, I don't move in lockstep, i'm just not programmed that way.
I haven't backed away from anything, and definately not backed into a corner. I have not changing my position.

You want to continue to try and associate me with using the term Hero, have at it continue with the LIE. Your showing yourself as that typical stereotype that many on C-D accuse black people of. Grow up.
Whatever. Just wondering where the outrage is.

Old 03-05-2010, 11:59 AM

38,643 posts, read 26,371,773 times
Quote:
This does not answer the question on re-writing history and for the record it WAS discussed in history class how freed slaves bought back their family members and other slaves. As far as the opposing views, those are not only well documented but discussed. If your school did not discuss them, then that is probably an issue you need to address with your school administration. As far as setting a month aside for black history, YOU don't need to acknowledge it.

The purchase of family members was only part of the picture. Read on, the article clearly indicated that black slave owners purchased slaves to be slaves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies