Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2010, 09:20 AM

2,553 posts, read 2,436,015 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
To all those parents doing it because of religious reasons, I really think it should be done voluntarily when the person is 18 or older.
Yeah right....like that's going to be popular at 18 or older....ouch! I knew someone that converted to Judaism for marriage reasons as an adult and he was probably circumcised already but, that was still part of converting and he said it was more like getting stuck with a pin (something like that....not a scalpel in any event).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2010, 09:26 AM

Wow....mention anything that has to do with sex (or a sexual organ) and you have a 17 page thread in two days.

Old 03-06-2010, 10:08 AM

971 posts, read 1,294,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danno3314 View Post
Yeah right....like that's going to be popular at 18 or older
So when given the voluntarily choice to circumcise, you believe adult males will choose NOT to (I agree with this - ask an intact man if he wishes his parents had circumcised him and the response will be a horror filled NO!). Why then is it okay to do it involuntarily to them as minors?

Old 03-06-2010, 10:10 AM

235 posts, read 510,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverkid View Post
So when given the voluntarily choice to circumcise, you believe adult males will choose NOT to (I agree with this - ask an intact man if he wishes his parents had circumcised him and the response will be a horror filled NO!). Why then is it okay to do it involuntarily to them as minors?
Exactly.

Old 03-06-2010, 04:44 PM

994 posts, read 1,682,000 times
Circumcision SHOULD be banned. How about we let the males decide on their own when they turn 18 hmm?

Old 03-07-2010, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverkid View Post
Minors?.....They're newborn infants and it's the decision that the parents make, along with a million others that a newborn infant is capable of making for itself....like whether or not it was even born in the first place (also a decision the parents involuntarily.....and all you're fousing on is circumcision....why just that one?).

BTW, you wouldn't get a horror filled no if it had been done when he was an infant....if it was about getting it done now as an adult, that would be a horror filled no.

Old 03-07-2010, 01:41 AM

Quote:
Minors?.....They're newborn infants and it's the decision that the parents make, along with a million others that a newborn infant is capable of making for itself
Seriously? A decision he's not capable of making? Just because an infant can't make a decision doesn't mean a parent has the right to make it for him. A newborn can't decide whether it would want a live of slavery. Does that mean it's okay for a parent to make that decision and sell the kid to a slave trader? If cutting off body parts is such an important decision to me made for an infant, why doesn't a doctor present new parents with a list of every part of the human body so that you can check which ones you want removed?

What body parts should a parent be allowed to remove from his or her infant? Just the foreskin? The clitoris? Toes? Hands? The head? Nipples are much more useless to a male than foreskin? Do I have the right to remove the nipples of my infant son if I so decide? I've read stories about deaf people advocating against medical procedures to give the ability to hear to babies who are born deaf. Should deaf parents be allowed to deafen their hearing children if they so choose? Should blind parents be allowed to remove the eyes of their seeing children so that they share the same perspective?

Quote:
and all you're fousing on is circumcision....why just that one?
You obviously haven't been keeping up on the thread - I'm not just focusing on circumcision. Other than out of medial necessity, why does anyone have a right to make permanent physical alterations to my body? It's my foreskin, they're my nipples, it's my clitoris (had I one), they're my toes, they're my eyes, they're my ears, etc, etc, etc. Whether to keep or remove them is my decision and mine alone. I can think of very few human rights more fundamental than controlling whether my physical body is kept intact or not.

Quote:
BTW, you wouldn't get a horror filled no if it had been done when he was an infant....if it was about getting it done now as an adult, that would be a horror filled no.
I know - I've said the same thing three or four times in this thread already. Of course you're not going to miss something you were deprived the opportunity of having, especially when everyone you know was deprived of the same thing.

Were every infant's eyes gouged out at birth, no one would miss not being able to see never having actually done it. However, the one person who slipped through the crack and whose eyes were left intact would be horrified at the thought of losing his eyesight and would be disgusted at the realization that others were deprived of it without their consent.

Last edited by denverkid; 03-07-2010 at 01:57 AM..

Old 03-07-2010, 10:29 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,261,360 times
It is, and should remain, the PARENTS DECISION. The State has no place in making a decision like this.

My God people - you want the State to control our lives from birth now??

What are you nuts???

Old 03-07-2010, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
It is, and should remain, the PARENTS DECISION. The State has no place in making a decision like this.

My God people - you want the State to control our lives from birth now??

What are you nuts???
What's wrong with having my essential liberty to control the physical intactness of my body protected against someone who would violate that?

Why is it you think parents have (or should have) the right to cut off their child's body parts out of anything other than medical necessity?

Old 03-07-2010, 10:34 AM

5,412 posts, read 4,239,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottmac112 View Post
The liberals fight against religious discrimination, but yet they push through B.S. legislation like this. Wow, you don't see hypocrisy like this every day!
I think they forget that their islamist darlings also practice circumcision
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies