Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2010, 09:02 PM

1,773 posts, read 1,266,016 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverkid View Post
What was so hard to understand?. You we comparing and contrasting male and female circumcision. I was saying that despite the differences, it's my right as a parent to circumcise my child - male or female.
True, however you brought up female circumcism & I told you that is totally different than male circumcism. There really is no comparison.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2010, 09:08 PM

971 posts, read 1,294,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wedjat View Post
True, however you brought up female circumcism & I told you that is totally different than male circumcism. There really is no comparison.
I'll ask you what I've asked other posters. What medically-unnecessary, permanent physical alterations should parents be allowed to do, without consent, to their children and which ones should not be allowed (criminalized)?

Who makes that decision? How is that line drawn?

Old 03-04-2010, 09:11 PM

Quote:
I'll ask you what I've asked other posters. What medically-unnecessary, permanent physical alterations should parents be allowed to do, without consent, to their children and which ones should not be allowed (criminalized)?

Who makes that decision? How is that line drawn?
I don't know. I guess I just don't think of circumcism as a life-altering decision.

Old 03-04-2010, 09:11 PM

Quote:
There are many people across this globe (billions) who would argue that female circumcision is an absolute right of the parent.

Old 03-04-2010, 09:13 PM

Quote:
I don't know. I guess I just don't think of circumcism as a life-altering decision.
Yeah, but maybe you son will (the foreskin has a biological, mostly sexual function - it most certainly is related to sexual health). Shouldn't the decision be his?

Old 03-04-2010, 09:13 PM

Quote:
There are many people across this globe (billions) who would argue that female circumcision is an absolute right of the parent.
And I would argue that w/female circumcism, as I said before, is wrong because it takes away all sensation. That is not true of male circumcism. I'm a little confused as to why this is such an argument but whatever, I guess every topic on this forum is grounds for an argument.

Old 03-04-2010, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Yeah, but maybe you son will (the foreskin has a biological, mostly sexual function - it most certainly is related to sexual health). Shouldn't the decision be his?
I've never to this day heard of any man complaining or making a lawsuit that their circumcism caused them loss of sensation. If you can round up a healthy group of men who can argue that point w/validity, you may have a case.

Old 03-04-2010, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Yeah, but maybe you son will (the foreskin has a biological, mostly sexual function - it most certainly is related to sexual health).

Regarless of you personal opinion about your foreskin (assuming you're a man), shouldn't your son's foreskin be his decision?

Old 03-04-2010, 09:16 PM

2,553 posts, read 2,435,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkin about it View Post
Republicans can't stomach the thought of an embryo being killed, but if the genitals of helpless, you know, actual human beings are ritualistically mutilated, that's an issue of freedom.

Republicans are so dumb it's actually cute. I want to pat them on the head sometimes and just say "awwww shucks. Thanks for trying, at least. Keep reading!"
I would personally never want a child of mine to be aborted but, as far as how other feel about it, I think it's their choice.....nonetheless, how can you compare abortion to circumcision?

Old 03-04-2010, 09:20 PM

Quote:
I've never to this day heard of any man complaining or making a lawsuit that their circumcism caused them loss of sensation. If you can round up a healthy group of men who can argue that point w/validity, you may have a case.
It's hard to miss something if you never had it. I agree female circumcision is much more extreme, but would a women who had her clitoris removed at 4 really know what she was missing when she started have sex at 20?

And there are many anti-circumcision lobby groups (who have filed plenty of lawsuits). Many of their members are men who are upset at having been circumcised in childhood with no input. Here's one: National Organization of Circumcision Information Resource Centers
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies