Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 06:20 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,914,172 times

Advertisements

so were you a nurse in january or not? that was a recent post and you are saying that you retired in 2001.

i am certainly not going after anyone with MS as you might infer in your reply, just you for a misrepresentation that you made to make a point. by the way, if you are a nurse i think that is terrific and you should be talking about health care from a nursing perspective.

Last edited by floridasandy; 03-05-2010 at 06:33 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2010, 07:53 AM

212 posts, read 417,807 times
Of course I wasn't a practicing nurse when I posted in Jan, but I am still a nurse and I drew on my years of practice from 1973 until I HAD to quit in 2001 when I posted my thoughts in Jan. I feel I have ample background in the medical field to voice my opinion. I cannot understand why you are so fixed on my mistake of past or present tense in my post, but be that as it may, I wish you would pay more attention to the content. I WAS talking about health care from a nursing perspective and from the perspective of a being a patient.

As to "inferring" that I have MS, I take that as a slap in the face. I wish you could live in my body for one day and then see how much I am "inferring".. Do you even know anyone with MS? For you to say what you have said to me is unforgivable.

Old 03-05-2010, 08:22 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
so were you a nurse in january or not? that was a recent post and you are saying that you retired in 2001.

i am certainly not going after anyone with MS as you might infer in your reply, just you for a misrepresentation that you made to make a point. by the way, if you are a nurse i think that is terrific and you should be talking about health care from a nursing perspective.
Once a nurse, always a nurse!

I, too, am a nurse, and we are both health care providers and consumers. The general public seems to think nurses and doctors don't get sick. I always like to hear the comments of patients when I say "Dr. *** is sick today". I've actually had people say in response, "I thought doctors didn't get sick". They seem to think the same of nurses.

Old 03-05-2010, 08:35 AM

2,422 posts, read 2,279,054 times
MS effects everyone differently, in some people it is very aggressive early on and causes early death. Others live a whole time with what seems to be very little problem. It is a very mysterious disease, believed to be an autoimmune disease.

Old 03-05-2010, 11:14 AM

MS in itself doesn't cause early death - secondary effects from the disease cause early death. The most usual culprits are pneumonia and kidney infections. Life expectancy of those with MS is at least 75% of normal. If any one is intersted in reading a short article about MS I would recommend the site www.lifewithms.com/msdis.htm

And thanks Katiana, it's nice to be validated by someone who understands that once a nurse, always a nurse. I hung on to my license for a few years and did volunteer work at our local Senior Center home care program as RN supervisor of CNAs (no invasive procedures or drug administration required of me). Eventually I couldn't keep up with that either. The day I decided to not renew my license for the next year was very emotional for me. It was another thing that MS had taken away from me.

Old 03-05-2010, 04:45 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,966,028 times
mortisha, I believe you now... I don't have MS, but a close to me friend does, and that alone drew me to this thread.

I understand afflictions that can't be seen, as I suffer from a migraine like affliction that is worse, called cluster head ache. I am not chronic thank God.

You may have heard and read of this, but then I wouldn't be at all surprised if you hadn't. Anyway you made all the points I need to believe, and I wish there was help for those with MS. My buddy will go on for hours talking about times he has been called 'You people" meaning crippled. I think you are not so advanced in the disease as he is since walking for him isn't going to happen anymore. Not a single step with out something his arms can support him for.

Never the less he hasn't quit living. He has a snaller lawn tractor made my John Deer, he can still drive and do garden work with, and is willing to crawl around to change attachments. He has a lot of other tools he can't use, and is always telling me if I need to borrow I may, but I don't.

There have been times he needed out of the tractor for his 'needs' and I help him in and out as he says. I am one of a few, a very few who he will allow to touch him at all. If any appology from me is needed you have it. I didn't understand, but do now.

Some times this internet isn't a very friendly place. Some how everyone and their great great grannie have becone judges where they have no idea of what's what in the first place. Even being neutral can get me in dutch, happens all the time.

Old 03-05-2010, 06:58 PM

+
Mac, thank you for your kind words. It sounds like your friend with MS is lucky to have you for a friend. You are right about the internet. Sometimes the anonymity of the internet can lead to hurtful interactions with others. It helps to know that there are those that are more willing to believe when a person posts about their life. By the way, I too have found gardening a wonderful hobby and cannot wait for spring to get here! I have trouble getting up and down now, but bought a cool bench/kneeler thing that I think will help in that department. Tell your friend I have kind thoughts for him.

Old 03-05-2010, 07:28 PM

5,725 posts, read 11,716,151 times
I think we've seen the last of floridasandy in this thread.

Old 03-07-2010, 07:56 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mortisha View Post
MS in itself doesn't cause early death - secondary effects from the disease cause early death. The most usual culprits are pneumonia and kidney infections. Life expectancy of those with MS is at least 75% of normal. If any one is intersted in reading a short article about MS I would recommend the site www.lifewithms.com/msdis.htm

And thanks Katiana, it's nice to be validated by someone who understands that once a nurse, always a nurse. I hung on to my license for a few years and did volunteer work at our local Senior Center home care program as RN supervisor of CNAs (no invasive procedures or drug administration required of me). Eventually I couldn't keep up with that either. The day I decided to not renew my license for the next year was very emotional for me. It was another thing that MS had taken away from me.
You're welcome. I didn't mean to post and run; I've been away from my computer for a couple days. Even when I decided to just not renew my original Pennsylvania license (b/c I can't envision the day I will ever work there again, at my age) it was hard.

Old 03-07-2010, 08:12 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,413,498 times
I am very sad that they have not found a cure for MS yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies