Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Hangun open carry - In favour or against..?
IN FAVOUR 57 56.44%
IN FAVOUR,CONDITIONALLY 23 22.77%
AGAINST 21 20.79%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2010, 04:02 PM

2,574 posts, read 2,486,556 times

Advertisements

An interesting thread,tribute to the growing move for open carry...

I have mixed feelings about it.
It has positives & negatives.

Ideologically,it is right.If gun carry is legal,why keep the gun concealed,like u r ashamed of it..?
Technically,open carriers with the temper of a bull may create negative publicity.
Such a measure would create "justifiable " backlash...

Let's hear your opinions...

I voted in favour,conditionally
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2010, 04:09 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,032,019 times
Frankly, if you are allowed to carry concealed, you should be allowed to carry open. But having said that, I think that open carry outside of rural communities is pretty dumb on so many levels, unless of course unduly creating unease with one's fellow citizens, and the police comes as great satisfaction to one's oversize ego.

PS - 20 year plus holder of carry permit who resides in an open carry state, and who NEVER carries openly.

Old 03-04-2010, 04:11 PM

20,054 posts, read 18,275,532 times
I would say that concealed carry is perfectly logical. It creates a sense of uncertainty for the thug who wants to assault or rape someone. Will he die as a consequence of his stupidity? Of course, on campus, thugs mug and steal with impunity because concealed or open carry is not permitted. No matter: I carry a taser on campus regardless because in NC it's only a misdemeanor if I were to be caught.

Old 03-04-2010, 04:12 PM

5,872 posts, read 8,090,819 times
I vote nay conditionally. But am all for gun rights.

Old 03-04-2010, 04:27 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,955,711 times
NH where I live is a open carry state, but I don't, and because i don't want a bad guy to know. In other open carry states, if i wish or need to ask fir directions I try to find a guy in open carry. That tells me he isn't a bad guy right off plain.
My vote was 'IN FAVOUR,CONDITIONALLY '

Old 03-04-2010, 04:29 PM

4,657 posts, read 8,709,053 times
If it's not prohibited by the constitution, than it shouldn't be an issue. That pretty much goes for everything, btw.

Old 03-04-2010, 04:51 PM

23,854 posts, read 24,091,732 times
The problem with open carry is that there are people who will react inappropriately simply because the person wearing the sidearm isn't also wearing a badge. Some people just like shiny things, and a gun without a shiny thing to go with it is scary to them.

I read a news article some years ago about a guy that was carrying concealed, legally, in a holster in the small of his back. He was in a bookstore, and when he reached up to pull a book off an upper shelf, his jacket was raised, exposing the butt of his gun. Some shiny-thing-loving person saw that and called the cops. When they showed up, he was tackled by one while others had their guns drawn and trained on him. What happened there is what would happen to lots of people, every day, if open carry was practiced instead of concealed carry.

When I'm carrying, nobody knows it unless I tell them. Nor should they - it's none of their business, just as it's none of their business if I'm carrying a cellphone, a condom or a $100 bill.

Old 03-04-2010, 04:55 PM

4,792 posts, read 5,898,927 times
too many potential horror stories with open carry.

Nay...

Old 03-04-2010, 05:01 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
We have carry permits,no problems.

Old 03-04-2010, 05:12 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,955,711 times
A CWW or equivalent means you can be legal with a loaqded hand gun in a car... If you open carry and have the same permit you would be as legak in a car. other wise to just open carry and be in a parked caqr with a loaded hand gun is a Royal Sin.

In no state is it legal nor should it be to carry a loaded long gun. In my state leaning a loaded long gun against a car is a Royal Sin as it should be.

Once it was ilegal to transport a deer from hunting concealed. This law is 180 out of wack presently, and no part of a game animal should be openly visable... Strange world if you ask me.

I am new here, but if I remain long enough it could be that someone meets me face to face and it is best to assume i am armed because i will be. If that should happen to make some difference so be it. Chances are you would other wise have no clue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies