Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2010, 06:10 AM

1,476 posts, read 2,024,601 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverkid View Post
If equal treatment under the law were extended to, and ALL the legal rights of marriage were given to gays under the banner of civil unions, then I'd be okay with it. This, of course, would require repealing the Defense of Marriage Act.

Honestly though, why is our civil government in the marriage business at all? If our civil government wants to legally recognize unions between two people, why not call all of them civil unions? Leave civil unions to the civil government, and leave marriages to the churches.
I think I agree with you and that is what I was try to say. I will look up the "Defense of Marriage Act." as I don't know what this is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2010, 06:38 AM

9,912 posts, read 13,900,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaBMe View Post
Why wouldn't the Gay Community be content with a Civil Union Law. I have heard that they think it would not be fair/equal and I do not understand why. To me, it seems like a reasonable compromise. The courts/government could legally join a couple of either persuasion (gay or straight) which would provide all legal rights and protections. Then the couple (gay or straight) could choose to go have their union sanctified by their church. Churches who do not believe in homosexual unions could refuse to marry gays. But the gays could be free to start their own churches to recognize their unions. This way, the straight, religious community could still have their religious freedom and the gay community could have their legal rights met. I believe they have such a system in place in Canada (or something similar) and I have heard some say it is working fine.

I, for one, would like to see a resolution to this as I have no real issue with gays but I am sick and tired of hearing all about an issue that centers around sex and having my children exposed to it constantly.
I'm straight and if the Church or the Government tried to tell me that I couldn't get married but could only be content with Civil Union you'd better believe I'd have a few things to say about it.

The church doesn't OWN marriage.

Frankly I'm sick and tired of hearing straight homophobes reducing this issue to sex and then complaining that they don't want their children exposed to it when I have to listen ENDLESSLY to the church's views on practically EVERYTHING on a daily basis. I turn off the television. It's a VERY USEFUL way of being selective about what information you're exposed to.

This is a civil rights issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies