Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2010, 09:03 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,824,929 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorasMom View Post
Ugh. I know they're inevitable, but those images are so revealing - I hate these. I'd just be totally embarrassed the whole time. I do not want some TSA dude seeing me naked!
I have heard repeatedly that there are separate scanners for men and women, monitored by a person of your same sex. So it would actually be some "dudette" seeing you "blurry", for a few seconds, in a long line of hundreds of others, none of which would register in her memory after 5 minutes. A lot less than anybody sees in a typical locker room, if you use those. Also, these folks will see hundreds of people going through there per day, after the first few (if that), the "novelty" wears off and all they're doing is looking for banned items. The last thing they'll notice, or care about, is your body.

People who see naked people all day (doctors, nurses, gym attendants, etc) can tell you that it REALLY is not something they even think about--just a day's work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2010, 09:28 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,600,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
I have heard repeatedly that there are separate scanners for men and women, monitored by a person of your same sex. So it would actually be some "dudette" seeing you "blurry", for a few seconds, in a long line of hundreds of others, none of which would register in her memory after 5 minutes. A lot less than anybody sees in a typical locker room, if you use those. Also, these folks will see hundreds of people going through there per day, after the first few (if that), the "novelty" wears off and all they're doing is looking for banned items. The last thing they'll notice, or care about, is your body.

People who see naked people all day (doctors, nurses, gym attendants, etc) can tell you that it REALLY is not something they even think about--just a day's work.
Well, that's a little bit of a relief...but the TSA workers are nowhere in the same league as doctors. The novelty will last quite a bit longer for them, if it ever wears off.

Old 03-24-2010, 01:37 PM

6 posts, read 17,565 times
I can't believe the willingness of everyone on this thread to submit to a total invasion of your personal body by the TSA. They have no right to force you to submit your naked body to them with the threat of not being able to fly. What kind of freedom is that? I for one, will take the pat down before I ever let my child or wife go through a low level radiation chamber, revealing their naked body to some government employee. Where does it stop? I don't care what sex the person is monitoring the machine.

Old 03-24-2010, 05:32 PM

1,112 posts, read 2,864,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOLMAN View Post
I can't believe the willingness of everyone on this thread to submit to a total invasion of your personal body by the TSA. They have no right to force you to submit your naked body to them with the threat of not being able to fly. What kind of freedom is that? I for one, will take the pat down before I ever let my child or wife go through a low level radiation chamber, revealing their naked body to some government employee. Where does it stop? I don't care what sex the person is monitoring the machine.
well it hasn't taken long for the 1st scandal involving the new machines
no surprise that it's happened at Londons heathrow Airport either

Heathrow security worker quizzed over 'naked' body scan of colleague | Mail Online (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1260222/Heathrow-security-worker-quizzed-naked-body-scan-colleague.html - broken link)

Old 03-24-2010, 06:28 PM

3,644 posts, read 8,580,110 times
Quote:
They have no right to force you to submit your naked body to them with the threat of not being able to fly. What kind of freedom is that?
And where does it say you have a "right" to fly? Nobody is forcing you to go through it. If you don't like it don't fly.

Old 03-24-2010, 07:22 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,824,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOLMAN View Post
The US is practically the most uptight non-Muslim country there is about nudity. For goodness sakes, everybody knows what a male or female body looks like. What they see on the screen is a blurry, B&W image, with pressure to get people through as fast as possible. Even if world's biggest perv would not find this job particularly "fulfilling".

I am naked in front of dozens of strangers every time I shower at the gym, and I don't think twice about it. These scanners are much, MUCH less invasive and they can't even see your face. I truly cannot believe people are so uptight about this.

Old 03-24-2010, 07:35 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,010,730 times
There is a sobering article today about how the terrorist are beginning to use
explosive breast implants for suicide bombers to use.

No ... body scanners do not bother me if it makes my family safer...

Old 03-24-2010, 08:02 PM

6,824 posts, read 9,058,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
The US is practically the most uptight non-Muslim country there is about nudity. For goodness sakes, everybody knows what a male or female body looks like. What they see on the screen is a blurry, B&W image, with pressure to get people through as fast as possible. Even if world's biggest perv would not find this job particularly "fulfilling".

I am naked in front of dozens of strangers every time I shower at the gym, and I don't think twice about it. These scanners are much, MUCH less invasive and they can't even see your face. I truly cannot believe people are so uptight about this.
Francois, for many of us, this isn't about nudity! It's about the right to privacy, and the right to be free from unreasonable searches of our persons and papers.

underPSI, I would say that I absolutely have a right to travel by air and by land. Freedom to travel is a basic right. Yes, when in an airport you expect some security. However you need to draw the line somewhere. How many bad guys have these scanners caught, so far?

Old 03-24-2010, 08:22 PM

521 posts, read 1,598,723 times
The full body scanners are necessary and long overdue. In fact, it's absurd that we're limiting airport security to technologies like full body scanners, which are really just half measures.

We need to move to the next level of airport safety and implement full strip searches and full body cavity examinations. You wouldn't even have to do it to every passenger. Maybe every fifth passenger or so. If it makes my family safer, I'm all for it.

Cue the objections from all the uptight U.S. puritans who think their naked bodies are so special...

Old 03-24-2010, 08:52 PM

1,246 posts, read 4,188,592 times
Well, hopefully the scanners will catch more than the TSA is catching while staring at their baggage screening screens. I flew to San Diego and back a few weeks ago with a swiss army knife in my bag. Didn't know it was there until my layover on the way home. I was stunned and quite bothered by the oversight in both Raleigh and Diego.

Does our constitution have "freedom to travel by air" stated in there somewhere? Missed that amendment. When you get into a vehicle owned by someone other than yourself or some corporation other than your own, you follow the rules set forth by that individual or company or body overseeing that corporation. Don't like it? Buy your own plane.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies