Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2007, 06:45 PM

253 posts, read 1,055,835 times

Advertisements

Is racial composition important to you in considering a particular location/neighborhood ideal to live in?

For example, and honestly, would you choose to live in a:

-predominately white area
-predominately black area
-predominately Latino area
-predominately Asian/Indian area
-mixed (explain % of racial backgrounds desired)
-other (explain)
-open (truly do NOT care/adapt & feel comfortable anywhere)

What specifically, and again honestly, influences your choice? How does your racial background play a role in your choice?

Do you keep an eye on how your location/neighborhood is changing racially? Why or why not?

Do you feel that having racial preferences in seeking out an ideal location is racist? Why or why not?

When does this become racist if you generally don't consider it racist?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2007, 07:10 PM

3,306 posts, read 4,155,506 times
Quote:
How does your racial background play a role in your choice?
It doesn't, I'm more interested in whether I like the looks of the area and whether its safe.
Quote:
Do you feel that having racial preferences in seeking out an ideal location is racist?
This is racist by the very definition of the word.

I remember when I was young black family moved into our neighborhood and I remember my parents (and other adults in the neighborhood) talking about how their home values are going to go down now. The ironic thing is this family was extremely nice and their kids never got into any trouble, but the kids that use to live there although white got into trouble all the time.

Other "races" do like to keep to themselves too, but whenever they try to move into other communities they aren't welcome or the people original there start to move. This just keeps our society segregated.

Old 06-02-2007, 08:48 PM

1,300 posts, read 2,613,632 times
<snip>

Don't say I didn't warn ya though. You'll probably get negs, nasty PM's, the whole nine. I tried to discuss it once, and even I got branded a racist.

...and I'm in an interracial marriage, lol.

~T

Last edited by jco; 06-03-2007 at 08:24 AM.. Reason: Off Topic - Please use PM

Old 06-02-2007, 09:34 PM

1,300 posts, read 2,613,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by REBEL88 View Post
disgusting, thats all i have to say...
It was either that or inbreeding. We all have choices to make

Old 06-02-2007, 09:41 PM

592 posts, read 2,810,000 times
I just want to keep living under the rock I've grown up under. All are welcome her in Delaneyland, as long as they abide by my T.O.S.

Old 06-02-2007, 10:54 PM

2,482 posts, read 8,733,071 times
Errr so perhaps I'll get PMs and get branded as a racist then but I'd much rather live among Asians (my race). It has less to do with race than it has to do with culture. I was raised Chinese and thus a lot of my mannerisms, my beliefs, and my lifestyle is stereotypically Asian. I'd like to be able to relate to someone and talk about how I hate one type of mooncake over another than to be in a community where people speak differently than I do, dress differently than I do, and have no idea there are more than just 1 type of mooncake for the Mooncake Festival -_-

Old 06-02-2007, 11:18 PM

3,306 posts, read 4,155,506 times
Quote:
It has less to do with race than it has to do with culture. I was raised Chinese and thus a lot of my mannerisms, my beliefs, and my lifestyle is stereotypically Asian.
Being chinese I would think you'd realize there is no "stereotypical asian" anything. So why would you prefer being around "asians". I can understand why someone who was born in China would prefer to hang out with other Chinese, but someone born in the US? Also given that asian cultures differ so much from country to country wanting to live amoung other "asians" smells of racism.

Quote:
and have no idea there are more than just 1 type of mooncake for the Mooncake Festival
Seriously, how often are you talking about deserts? What would you like of a white american that said they don't like hanging around asians because they don't know about different types of cheese.

Old 06-02-2007, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humanoid View Post
Being chinese I would think you'd realize there is no "stereotypical asian" anything. So why would you prefer being around "asians". I can understand why someone who was born in China would prefer to hang out with other Chinese, but someone born in the US? Also given that asian cultures differ so much from country to country wanting to live amoung other "asians" smells of racism.

Seriously, how often are you talking about deserts? What would you like of a white american that said they don't like hanging around asians because they don't know about different types of cheese.
First of all I was not born in the US. Second of all, Asian cultures are MUCH more similar to each other than, say, comparing Asian to African American cultures. You can call it racist if you want, I really don't care. I just know what I'm comfortable around. And as for talking about desserts, its not so much about the desserts, its about talking about certain things and being excited about them and knowing the other party GETS IT.

Old 06-02-2007, 11:36 PM

452 posts, read 1,132,328 times
Quote:
SmerkyGrl
Ignore "Humane Humanoid" he/she is constantly telling everyone that they are racist. You could say hello to Humanoid and he/she would consider it racist.

Old 06-02-2007, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chloedog View Post
Ignore "Humane Humanoid" he/she is constantly telling everyone that they are racist. You could say hello to Humanoid and he/she would consider it racist.
Not a worry, he's already on my tail trying to look for controversy and I'm quite familiar with people who try to nitpick at everyone else to maintain some sort of self actualization of their ego. We all have complexes, I can deal with that
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies