Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2010, 06:58 PM

971 posts, read 1,290,131 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
The production of antibiotics does not depend on evolution, although overuse is causing evolution of the bacteria.
You're partially right. Antibiotics wasn't the greatest example, however, it is evolution that causes bacterial resistance and forces us to continually search for future generations of antibiotics.

However, The development of many drugs and vaccines are directly linked to our understanding of evolutionary principles. The easiest class of drugs to see this connection are attenuated vaccines:

Attenuated vaccine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Without our understanding of evolution, we would not have the knowledge to create these vaccines, and we wouldn't be able to protect against diseases such as polio, chicken-pox, and typhoid (among many others).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2010, 07:53 PM

30,421 posts, read 20,202,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
The Associated Press: Top home-school texts dismiss Darwin, evolution

It's a shame that some parents think lying about science is good for their children.
Yeah, it's just a shame that the liars are still trying to shove that evolution theory down the throats of our youth. It's not science. It's a belief, yet unproven.

It is more resonable to believe in intelligent design; i.e. God.

Evolution is a hoax.

Old 03-07-2010, 07:55 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,609,808 times
If they don't want to evolve you can't make them

Old 03-07-2010, 08:22 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,150,151 times
I didn't bother to read every post. Some insinuate that the home schooled kids are some how being denied a proper education. If this is true how can it be explained that on average home schooled kids out perform/score their public schooled counter parts?
Obviously neither education is perfect. Is there even any such thing as a perfect education?
In other threads I have seen posts that home schooled kids are socially stunted. Well there is more than 1 way to look at this.
My son went to public schools. On the bus he learned a few words at age 5 that he never heard at home. He learned that we call black people the n word etc. I must say I would have prefered that he not learn the filth that he learned.
At age 10 he was attacked by a boy 3 years older than he was while getting off the bus. Yet another education that I would have prefered he not endure. What was the bully's reason for the attack? The bully got yelled at by the bus driver for picking on yet another younger and smaller boy. He thought that my son might have laughed.
This is the reality of public school education not enjoyed by the home schooled kids.
Not learning the theory of evolution would be a gap. But not quite the gap left in my son's smile after having his face driven into a concrete curb.
The public schools response? Didn't happen on the bus not our problem..
The bulley wasn't even banned from the bus. The attack happened about 4 feet from the bus..
Pittston Area Pa.

Old 03-07-2010, 11:07 PM

8,624 posts, read 9,061,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbird82 View Post
You can say it to you're blue in the face. It won't ever make it true. One is a scientifically sound, peer-reviewed theory with enormous amounts of evidence. The other is a story written in a bronze aged book with not a shred of any evidence. You can call them whatever you want and believe whatever you want, but please don't try to say it's good for a child's education to learn creationism and not evolution. It automatically puts the child behind his classmates when he gets to the collegiate level.

Creation does not have to be connected to the Bible. You can say it to you're blue in the face but there is no scientist on this Earth that can say what happened millions of years ago. I never said children should not be taught about evolution. I teach my children both. What happened millions of years ago is an unknown. Both creation and evolution are theories and require faith. One faith that there is a creator, the other faith that the scientists have taken their best shot at a conclusion to their speculation from what they have discovered. Maybe both are not what happened. I do not want my children to close their minds to any possibility as evolutionist do.

Old 03-07-2010, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
If they don't want to evolve you can't make them

Do you think having a closed mind to all possibilities is evolving?

Old 03-07-2010, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverkid View Post
No scientist would claim to know anything with absolute certainly. There is no such that as a fact in science. There are only positions (theories and conclusions) supported by empirical evidence - they're not speculations and guesses at all.

Faith is belief in something with no evidence. That's the antithesis of scientific investigation.

Yet they sell evolution as fact and the believers accept it as fact. Me? I am open to the "anything is possible" idea.
Your second sentence does not jive with your first one. Evolution should be sold as 'with the evidence we have found, we think this is what happened".

Old 03-07-2010, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
I didn't bother to read every post. Some insinuate that the home schooled kids are some how being denied a proper education. If this is true how can it be explained that on average home schooled kids out perform/score their public schooled counter parts?
Obviously neither education is perfect. Is there even any such thing as a perfect education?
In other threads I have seen posts that home schooled kids are socially stunted. Well there is more than 1 way to look at this.
My son went to public schools. On the bus he learned a few words at age 5 that he never heard at home. He learned that we call black people the n word etc. I must say I would have prefered that he not learn the filth that he learned.
At age 10 he was attacked by a boy 3 years older than he was while getting off the bus. Yet another education that I would have prefered he not endure. What was the bully's reason for the attack? The bully got yelled at by the bus driver for picking on yet another younger and smaller boy. He thought that my son might have laughed.
This is the reality of public school education not enjoyed by the home schooled kids.
Not learning the theory of evolution would be a gap. But not quite the gap left in my son's smile after having his face driven into a concrete curb.
The public schools response? Didn't happen on the bus not our problem..
The bulley wasn't even banned from the bus. The attack happened about 4 feet from the bus..
Pittston Area Pa.

The liberals mean that home schooled kids are socially stunted because they are usually not exposed to homosexuals, drug users and filthy mouths. My children are very social and more socially advanced than their friends from the public schools. They must be involved in community service where they visit hospitals, senior centers, lend a hand to neighbors, and community projects interacting with business owners. they do this while their peers are glued to the tube or video games.

Old 03-07-2010, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsldcd View Post
Yet they sell evolution as fact and the believers accept it as fact. Me? I am open to the "anything is possible" idea.
Your second sentence does not jive with your first one. Evolution should be sold as 'with the evidence we have found, we think this is what happened".
Unless the child intends to enter a field where such education is huge factor does it even matter?
I have seen where I work plenty of high school grads who never had shop class. They don't know a 3/8 box wrench from a pair of pliers and do not exaggerate. Yet in our job description basic knowledge of hand tools is a must. It is also a must for daily living unless of course you want your child to be completely dependant upon others.
I stopped and helped a kid with a flat tire. He had no clue how to use a scissor jack... Does shop class teach this? NO. But it teaches other applications of a screw and other tools. The leap from one to another is small.
Some people just like to beat up on home schooled because they know most are religious families. It has very little to do with the quality of education. If it were about the quality of education they would be singing a few praises for the end result.

Old 03-07-2010, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsldcd View Post
The liberals mean that home schooled kids are socially stunted because they are usually not exposed to homosexuals, drug users and filthy mouths. My children are very social and more socially advanced than their friends from the public schools. They must be involved in community service where they visit hospitals, senior centers, lend a hand to neighbors, and community projects interacting with business owners. they do this while their peers are glued to the tube or video games.
Not just liberals...This myth is spread by teachers Unions as well.
The fact is I have never met a socially stunted home schooled child. They tend to be old school polite,but otherwise just like other kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies