U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2007, 11:00 PM

451 posts, read 1,037,583 times

Advertisements

The Swamp - Chicago Tribune - Blogs.

Some news photos are so rich in symbolism they're almost like Renaissance paintings in how much they communicate.

Such an Associated Press photo appeared on the front page of the New York Times's national edition.

Quote:
It’s a picture of the scene after a bombing in Baghdad yesterday. Adding to the chaos of the bombing which killed at least 21 people and injured at least 66 was a shooter, maybe targeting people in the crowd.

Amid all the Iraqis who are running from the gunfire was a U.S. soldier, standing tall, perhaps looking in the direction of the gunshots, not apparently looking for cover.

An Iraqi boy seeks shelter behind the soldier, a member of the 82nd Airborne Division.

The photo in this posting actually was taken a few frames before the one the New York Times photo editors chose for the paper's front page. That photo has more impact since it portrays the Iraqis actually running for safety.

Still, in both photos, the symbolism is arresting.
The Iraqi people should create a statue of the second photo and place it in the center of Baghdad, giving thanks to our American soldiers who have perished in the fight to give them the greatest gift in the world...Freedom!
Attached Thumbnails
Potent symbols: Iraqi boy shelters behind U.S. soldier-picturessayvolumesimage1.jpg   Potent symbols: Iraqi boy shelters behind U.S. soldier-picturessayvolumesimage2.jpg  

Last edited by chloedog; 06-02-2007 at 11:08 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2007, 10:15 PM

19,183 posts, read 28,373,850 times
Some call it freedom, some call it death and chaos. Iraqis are no longer voting with their purple fingers. They are voting with their feet. The freedom you claim to have brought to them can now be enjoyed only in Lebanon, Syria, and Egypt. You have destroyed a country, not saved it. You have cursed, not blessed, it.

Old 06-03-2007, 10:26 PM

Quote:
saganista
Some call it freedom, some call it death and chaos. Iraqis are no longer voting with their purple fingers. They are voting with their feet. The freedom you claim to have brought to them can now be enjoyed only in Lebanon, Syria, and Egypt. You have destroyed a country, not saved it. You have cursed, not blessed, it.
Spoken like a true defeatist! I guess I hit a nerve with you "saganista", you seem to be on my trail trying to post rebuttals to all my posts. A gift is exactly that, a gift, it is up to the Iraqi people to accept and embrace that gift.

Old 06-04-2007, 06:01 AM

19,183 posts, read 28,373,850 times
Here are some suggestions:

If you don't want people to reply, don't start threads.

If you don't want to be corrected, don't rely on false representations.

If you don't want to be taken for a wingnut, stop acting like La Shawn Barber.

Old 06-04-2007, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Here are some suggestions:

If you don't want people to reply, don't start threads.

If you don't want to be corrected, don't rely on false representations.

If you don't want to be taken for a wingnut, stop acting like La Shawn Barber.
Show me one false representation, I make comments and then back those up with an article and data, just because the great saganista disagrees with the columnist doesnít mean the article is a false representation, your posts are nothing but an attack. Him donít like what someone says and him gonna have a hissy fit and tattle to the moderators. Cry me a river!!! You are the one that has some disturbed fixation on me; you are the one that saught out everyone of my post and then left some lame comment. I do believe it is you who needs to stop acting like a child. Iím done dealing with a child, I do not consider myself a child, and so if you decide to post another lame aó comment, I will not reply.

Old 08-04-2007, 10:41 AM

1 posts, read 3,131 times
They are truly powerful images!

Old 08-04-2007, 11:08 AM

1,134 posts, read 3,627,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chloedog View Post
Spoken like a true defeatist! I guess I hit a nerve with you "saganista", you seem to be on my trail trying to post rebuttals to all my posts. A gift is exactly that, a gift, it is up to the Iraqi people to accept and embrace that gift.
HUH ?!?!??!
Look a the pic you, yourself posted !

Where is the 'Gift' in that ??

Old 08-04-2007, 01:03 PM

17,297 posts, read 25,694,164 times
Quote:

A wholly gratuitous gift should be given with care.

The idea behind the gift = good. The planning that went into executing the gift = terrible. (Insurgency? What insurgency? what ARE Sunnis and Shiites anyway?)

Unfortunately, this gift didn't come with a return receipt.

Kind of like buying a car for a friend who doesn't have one, but then having your friend die in a car crash when all the wheels fall off the car when your friend was driving on the highway because you never got it inspected before giving it to him.

Old 08-04-2007, 02:27 PM

1,497 posts, read 4,445,949 times
Quote:
The Swamp - Chicago Tribune - Blogs.

Some news photos are so rich in symbolism they're almost like Renaissance paintings in how much they communicate.

Such an Associated Press photo appeared on the front page of the New York Times's national edition.

The Iraqi people should create a statue of the second photo and place it in the center of Baghdad, giving thanks to our American soldiers who have perished in the fight to give them the greatest gift in the world...Freedom!

Most Iraqis want the US to complete thier mission in Iraq and leave. They like the US Army. It is the FOREIGN FIGHTERS, from Iran Saudi Arabia, Pakistan etc that are the problem.

Think the Iraqis do not know what will happen if the US leaveS? They will be dead. It will be chaos.

GREAT POST, C-Dog!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies