Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 02:39 PM

5,562 posts, read 5,681,868 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post
Well what good is making dangerous and polluting cars if it's going to kill all my customers? Very short sighted thinking.

Dangerous no dangerous means people wont buy it, its a normal situtation and over time threw inventions safety has become reality for the most part. We still let cars go 100 plus miles per hour and even the Progressive europe some countries have no speed limit. But the point it is the customer BUYS the car, not the government and the govenrment should give away to the market and if the market of ideas is where we make and use our buying power that 258mpg will sell. They might sell it to you of which was the goal in the first place and you for your personal reason did. After all maybe it comes with no radio, no trunk and has cheap plastic for chairs but if that is what you want go for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2010, 02:42 PM

3,565 posts, read 4,865,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Looks pretty interesting. Wonder if it will pass all the US government mandated safety and emmissions requirements? I also wonder how it will do in snow?
If it passes German/European standards, ten there's no way it will not pass U.S standards.

Old 03-08-2010, 02:43 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,785,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyandJusticeforAll View Post
Dangerous no dangerous means people wont buy it, its a normal situtation and over time threw inventions safety has become reality for the most part. We still let cars go 100 plus miles per hour and even the Progressive europe some countries have no speed limit. But the point it is the customer BUYS the car, not the government and the govenrment should give away to the market and if the market of ideas is where we make and use our buying power that 258mpg will sell. They might sell it to you of which was the goal in the first place and you for your personal reason did. After all maybe it comes with no radio, no trunk and has cheap plastic for chairs but if that is what you want go for it.
So basically you don't want any safety protections for consumers?
You want us to just trust the company?

I actually like that we have safety regulations in place.

No one is talking about the government forcing people to buy cars or anything like that except you.

Old 03-08-2010, 02:45 PM

10,581 posts, read 9,781,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XodoX View Post
If it passes German/European standards, ten there's no way it will not pass U.S standards.
You're joking, of course.

You're aware, aren't you, the large number of interesting European designs that are not sold in the U.S., precisely because they DON'T meet U.S. pollution, safety, etc. standards?

Old 03-08-2010, 02:46 PM

2,229 posts, read 1,686,277 times
Quote:
How did you get that from my comment?
I am pretty sure that I had a question mark at the end of my statement. Meaning, that I was asking a question as to your position to the subject. Which low and behold....

You made the statement below. Calm down there a little bit sparky.

Quote:
I would like there to be an increase in the gas tax in order to help spur more production of fuel efficient cars in the private sector and spur more public transportation. Our cars are not nearly as efficient as they could be. A modest 50-75 cent increase per year wouldn't be so bad.

Cars have their place but I personally hate how car-dependent the United States is. I like my car but I'd love to be able to have access to bus rapid transit and/or light rail.
So you are ok with using government placed taxes and fees to steer the populace in the direction that the government THINKS they should go, rather than allowing people to make their own decisions and those decisions affecting the free market which in turn steers the direction society heads?

Old 03-08-2010, 02:49 PM

2,229 posts, read 1,686,277 times
Quote:

No one is talking about the government forcing people to buy cars or anything like that except you.

That is untrue.

You said yourself that you want to see the government install forms of taxation or fees which penalizes those who drive vehicles which consume more gasoline. This tax is an artificial cost in the market whose sole purpose is to steer public action.

It is a backhand cheap way of government to force things. They are too much of panzies to take the full step and outlaw hummers... so they will just make them unaffordable.

Sorry, thats a douchebag way of leading.

Old 03-08-2010, 02:54 PM

5,562 posts, read 5,681,868 times
Quote:
So basically you don't want any safety protections for consumers?
You want us to just trust the company?

I actually like that we have safety regulations in place.

What are you talking about! Do you think people would buy cars if they blew up everyday because the car company didnt care. If someone dies they are to pay millions and companies have safety in place for economic reasons and selling points. You think VW wants to be the next toyota. Government is not needed to do that the market place does that. After all you think the car company with a terrible death record is going to be selling many cars. Someone invented the seatbelt not the car companies of which was sold and became a selling point of which also kept them out of lawsuits. Government just makes you wear it in the idea that they are saving your life. Let alone the car can go 140 miles per hour. Remember Seatbelts save lives and law suit claims as well. What I'm saying is when PEOPLE want to buy cars for whatever the reason people will choose "environment over safety" and many will ignore it all buy it for the shiney wheels. We have speed limits and nobody really follows them unless they see a cop. So government is trying to control cars, speed limits and safety when if someone wanted a 258mpg car that person can DECIDE for themselves if its safe and will get them where they need to go. So in other words VW should ship it here and see how many sell and let the government get out of the way. Due to the toyota situtation every other car company is reviewing its safety and parts to make sure they arent crashing their business. The market is doing that and free individuals are making choices... Ford or toyota etc etc. and someone might be thinking 258mpg VW sounds good.

Old 03-08-2010, 02:59 PM

3,565 posts, read 4,865,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
You're joking, of course.

You're aware, aren't you, the large number of interesting European designs that are not sold in the U.S., precisely because they DON'T meet U.S. pollution, safety, etc. standards?

No. You're wrong. I've moved two cars overseas and back to the U.S.

Old 03-08-2010, 03:02 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,373,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
We did.

I recommend this film.

There was a guy who lived across the street from my grandparents who had an electric car all though the '80s. I'm not sure who it was made by. It looked kind of similar to a VW Rabbit from the same era.

We've had the technology for decades.

What we have't had and still don't is battery technology that even comes close to the energy density of gasoline, not to mention coming close at a competitive price.

Old 03-08-2010, 03:03 PM

10,581 posts, read 9,781,638 times
And BTW, before you become too enamoured with U.S. standards, consider that little car called "Tata", from India I think. See Tata Nano image - Photos: Tata's $2,500 car - CNET News . Four small wheels, tiny engine, top speed around 45mph IIRC, it's the most minimal car you can imagine. But it runs, it gets you where you want to go, it keeps the rain out (mostly). And the price in India is some $2,500 each. Some people (including me) turn up their noses at minimal cars because their utility is so much lower than the cars we're used to here. But at a price like that, even *I* would start giving that car serious thought, at least if I weren't worried about getting whacked by an F150. And I can see where a lot of people who just flat can't afford a $10K+ car, would be extremely interested in that car for that price.

Someone is working to import them to the U.S. and sell them here. But guess what: Once they are "Federalized", the price is more like $8,000 or more.

Yep, for an absolutely minimal car like that, you'd pay $2,500 for the car, and $5,500 for safety, emissions, etc. stuff.

To no one's surprise, the efforts to import the car have bogged down.

Safety and clean emissions are good things, no argument.

But keep in mind the cost. Many poorer people cannot afford a car at all, because of govt-forced safety and emission standards. And those people are not allowed to decide for themselves, whether to take a chance on a cheapo car or not. The govt is forcing them to decide "NO", they cannot take the chance - making the decision for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies