Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 04:48 PM

2,574 posts, read 2,488,111 times

Advertisements

So many threads,bashing America & its system...

Whatever its shortcomings may be,the American capitalism offers unparalleled prosperity to huge masses of people,305milllion...

Never before & nowhere else,in the history of humanity,so many people enjoyed such high standards of living...
A real house,with a garden,many with a pool,furniture,gadgets,2 cars,boats,motorbikes,
the best healthcare system in the world,the best schools & universities,
a unique infrastructure for transportation & communication...The best media & entertainment...High quality tourism,excellent hotels,good services everywhere...The American client is the King...

"Corporate America",from Wall St. to "Main St"...
offers its leadership to 305 million,leading them to unprecedented wealth...

Yes ,1 (one) CEO may make 1 million gross,0,5m net,but so many employees make a descent 30-40K..

It's easy for tiny nations of 4m,sitting on oil,to strike it rich...but what about mammoths of 305 million..?

Never before & nowhere else,so many millions over millions live "la dolce vita",the sweet life...

Let's hear your opinions,if u agree,or even if u disagree...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2010, 04:49 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,048,770 times
Another American without a passport.

Old 03-08-2010, 04:52 PM

Oh,if u took a look at my passport...which is not american yet...

Old 03-08-2010, 05:52 PM

3,292 posts, read 4,474,295 times
The argument is a poor one, and I say this because it has been used before.

As an example look at the US a few hundred years ago, shortly before the civil war.

Would you argue that life for slaves improved from say the 1600s - 1800s? I mean clearly their living conditions/standard of living had improved greatly between those periods of time due to technological improvements alone. In that case why even bother moving off of slavery? Over time all stakeholders have benefited, correct?

Old 03-08-2010, 05:55 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,154,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrymiafl View Post
So many threads,bashing America & its system...

Whatever its shortcomings may be,the American capitalism offers unparalleled prosperity to huge masses of people,305milllion...

Never before & nowhere else,in the history of humanity,so many people enjoyed such high standards of living...
A real house,with a garden,many with a pool,furniture,gadgets,2 cars,boats,motorbikes,
the best healthcare system in the world,the best schools & universities,
a unique infrastructure for transportation & communication...The best media & entertainment...High quality tourism,excellent hotels,good services everywhere...The American client is the King...

"Corporate America",from Wall St. to "Main St"...
offers its leadership to 305 million,leading them to unprecedented wealth...

Yes ,1 (one) CEO may make 1 million gross,0,5m net,but so many employees make a descent 30-40K..

It's easy for tiny nations of 4m,sitting on oil,to strike it rich...but what about mammoths of 305 million..?

Never before & nowhere else,so many millions over millions live "la dolce vita",the sweet life...

Let's hear your opinions,if u agree,or even if u disagree...
how is "capitalism" associated with "patriotism," in your mind?

Old 03-09-2010, 06:23 AM

Because America was founded on capitalism,so the patriotic thing to do is to defend the foundations of a state...
As for slavery,I talk about today,not about ancient history...

Old 03-09-2010, 06:58 AM

2,709 posts, read 1,039,932 times
Great post, harrymiafl!

Many Americans take freedom for granted. I notice over and over again that people coming here from other countries cherish the principles of freedom far more than many of the people who were born here.

Old 03-09-2010, 07:08 AM

8,630 posts, read 9,137,436 times
My grandfather was an adult during the great depression. He told me he can never trust wall street again. After 30 years, I understand now. What they've done was criminal, and still is with absolutely no change in the rules, no greedy sobs going to jail. It's nothing more than a ponzi scheme benefiting a few while shucking out all those nickels and dimes to the public to keep them content with their 3% dividend while pocketing billions and gaming the system and speculating, betting on failure.

Old 03-09-2010, 09:35 AM

19,893 posts, read 18,444,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artisan10 View Post
Great post, harrymiafl!

Many Americans take freedom for granted. I notice over and over again that people coming here from other countries cherish the principles of freedom far more than many of the people who were born here.

You are so right on this subject. I too know that those who come here legally from other Countries, Cherish much more the principles of freedom far more then the citizens of our own Country. Do we perhaps take to much for granted, which People from these other Countries, know the difference. In my husband's company there are a couple of Russians who are here legally, are very hard workers, and would do anything for you, they apprecaite so much, what opportunities this Country can give you, if you are willing to work for it. They think American's do not appreciate the freedoms that we have, and the opportunities we are offered. He says just talking to these guys, is refreshing, because they talk so good about our Country, that so many of us do take for granted, and don't realize just how good we have it.

Old 03-09-2010, 09:39 AM

11,446 posts, read 16,185,973 times
The OP forgot the crown jewel of America's freedoms - the right to own guns!
As for materialism and quantity in life, America surely is number one.

Last edited by Visvaldis; 03-09-2010 at 09:47 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies