Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2013, 07:12 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,227,483 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyFeast5000 View Post
Btw, is there a "Despicable Conservatives" thread on this board? If so, I've missed it. Can you point it out?
I don't know. I am not aware that there is a requirement for a poster to create two threads about the same topic from two different angles.

I created THIS thread because of MY experience as a liberal with other liberals who didn't agree with me (or thought that they didn't).

Old 03-24-2013, 07:13 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,961,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
Well SOMETIMES they are kind enough to refer to liberals as being "mentally ill".
I believe most libs are insane.....

There are very few real liberals in the true meaning of the word and when you find one s/he is a rare bird and they can communicate well usually.

The grabbers and nay sayers are not liberals, they are the 0 Tolerance gang...... They beg and whine always and once they get what it is they wanted then it is 0 Tolerance forever more..... That isn't liberal that is insanity.

Greg W is a real liberal and i think the OP of this thread might be too. Wiser folks...

Old 03-24-2013, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by northnut View Post
I have. I'm sure I've done it too. But to place the blames purely on liberals, especially if we're talking about this forum, is pretty laughable, hey?
I am not - I simply reported my experience. Like I said in my OP - I am as guilty of it as the next liberal.

Old 03-24-2013, 07:15 PM

BTW - I certainly don't mean this thread to be a p.issing contest of 'he said, she said."

Bashing the "other" side is certainly not desirable, either. Like I said, I would be considered "liberal" as well and I know that the common denominator is that we are all human and are all subject to the same tendencies.

Last edited by Fuselage; 03-24-2013 at 07:24 PM..

Old 03-24-2013, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
There are very few real liberals in the true meaning of the word...
"Liberal," when interpreted liberally, doesn't necessarily mean "liberal."

Old 03-24-2013, 07:39 PM

8,560 posts, read 6,406,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuselage View Post
BTW - I certainly don't mean this thread to be a p.issing contest of 'he said, she said."

Bashing the "other" side is certainly not desirable, either. Like I said, I would be considered "liberal" as well and I know that the common denominator is that we are all human and are all subject to the same tendencies.
Then WHY did you name your thread "Despicable Liberals"????

Why not "Despicable Posters" or "Despicable People"? No. You made a point of naming LIBERALS. And now you're trying to weasel out of it? Impressive.

I don't mean to break your heart here, but I wouldn't call you a "liberal" at all; but, it's very clear that it's much easier to bash "liberals" if you imply that you are one yourself.

Old 03-24-2013, 07:42 PM

Quote:
I am not - I simply reported my experience. Like I said in my OP - I am as guilty of it as the next liberal.
The name of YOUR thread, "Despicable Liberals" belies your denial of accusing/blaming liberals only. What? Do you think we are all really, really stupid? The thread title alone reeks of baiting.

Old 03-24-2013, 07:54 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,562,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Saul Alinsky's

The fourth rule, Ridicule is man’s most potent weapon.
Conservatives have a tendency to try to win every debate with logic and recitations of facts which all too often fail to get the job done because emotions and mockery are often just as effective as logic.
as we see with Bill Maher and Rachel Maddow types. They show em how it's done.

Old 03-24-2013, 07:57 PM

1,127 posts, read 903,666 times
Quote:
Most people would probably consider me a liberal, or perhaps a progressive, although I would probably (and begrudgingly) admit that age has made me a bit more conservative in regard to some issues (e.g., gun control, death penalty). In the past, I have had many a contentious exchange with conservatives - not surprising, considering the often polarized nature of various viewpoints.

While some of these discussions have been heated, by and large, they have stayed on topic. For the most part, I do not remember any name-calling or anyone making low-class personal jabs. I will say that I am aware of a certain recency bias nor did I keep a written record. Thus, I can not make a definitive assessment but must simply voice my impressions.

I have also repeatedly read complaints from conservatives that a frequent liberal approach to dealing with opposing opinions is to resort to personal attacks. For the most part, I considered these complaints mere exaggeration or thought that such tactics are fair game since I assumed that both "sides" engaged in this activity. I am sure I have done my share of it as well but when I have done this to conservatives, I don't think I ever received a personal insult in return.

That said, I can wholeheartedly proclaim to conservatives that I feel your annoyance with some liberals. I have been able to post a few responses over the last few weeks that quickly elicited the very personal and emotional attacks that you complain about.

Not only were these attacks completely unwarranted, but they were overly rude, tried to attack my emotions, and were aimed at insulting me. Sweeping negative judgements were passed about my person, my mental well-being, my reasoning abilities, my right to live, my professional capabilities, my right to procreate, etc. This is in stark contrast to attacks on an opinion, perception, or interpretation of events. In short, the responses posted by these "liberals" were absolutely despicable.
What did you say and what did they say in response. Unless I know the specifics, there is no way I can comment

Old 03-24-2013, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Green Giant View Post
What did you say and what did they say in response. Unless I know the specifics, there is no way I can comment
I would be surprised if we hear an answer to your questions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies